PDA

View Full Version : So you think you want to come dive with us in NC?

Lulubelle
08-24-2009, 22:46
http://ncdivers.com/cpg133/albums/userpics/10020/normal_unknown.jpg

http://ncdivers.com/cpg133/albums/userpics/10020/normal_unknown-3.jpg

http://ncdivers.com/cpg133/albums/userpics/10020/normal_unknown-2.jpg

http://ncdivers.com/cpg133/albums/userpics/10020/normal_unknown-1.jpg

Travelnsj
08-24-2009, 23:54
Yep! that is some of the best diving this side of Tahiti and Kiritimati (Christmas Island)...but that water can be rough on the long trip in the Atlantic for sea sick prone people or I would of been back!

navyhmc
08-25-2009, 04:17
Cool!!! Totally Cool!!!

fire diver
08-25-2009, 07:25
That looks awesome! I wanna go!

PTAaron
08-25-2009, 07:25
Look at the purty little fishies! :smiley5:

comet24
08-25-2009, 07:37
I am in. Reminds me I need to get back down to NC to do some diving this year.

DivingCRNA
08-25-2009, 07:55
What? It's just a few fish.....

Lulubelle
08-25-2009, 08:12
Look at the purty little fishies! :smiley5:

What? It's just a few fish.....

Sharks fellows, sharks. Lots and lots of sharks. But they don't eat much. These photos were taken a week or so ago and published in our local paper. Apparently, the ocean was clear that day but this is not an unusual number of sharks for the inlet.

They don't make me concerned about diving, but they do make me question whether or not I want to swim off of the beach. These photos are from relatively shallow waters!

scubadiver888
08-25-2009, 08:23
I've seen one shark while diving. It was on the edge of my viz and took off when I looked at it. Not sure if I'm ready for this. :smiley5:

Lulubelle
08-25-2009, 08:43
I've seen one shark while diving. It was on the edge of my viz and took off when I looked at it. Not sure if I'm ready for this. :smiley5:

One? You are worried about one? Of of my favorite artificial wrecks typically has 20-30 on a good day. Sandtigers though, they really don't pay us much attention. Someone was theorizing that these in the photos were blacktips, which may be a different story. I'm sure different types swim at different depths.

They don't eat much sd888, come on down.

scubadiver888
08-25-2009, 10:19

One? You are worried about one? Of of my favorite artificial wrecks typically has 20-30 on a good day. Sandtigers though, they really don't pay us much attention. Someone was theorizing that these in the photos were blacktips, which may be a different story. I'm sure different types swim at different depths.

They don't eat much sd888, come on down.

I've only seen one because I've only seen one. Seems most the places I dive don't have sharks. I'm sure that will change as I'm always looking for different dive locations.

One shark. No problem. Three or four sharks. No problem. One thirty sharks, hmm, not too sure. Heck, I'd have a problem with a thirty divers on one wreck. :smiley36:

Definitely will come down to NC some day. It is a 16 hour drive according to Google Maps. With traffic, bio-breaks and crossing the border it is probably more like 20 hours (two days for me). That is definitely doable. It will probably be a few years before I have enough vacation time however. :smiley13:

That could change though (switch companies, we sell the company early, I win the lottery) :)

Lulubelle
08-25-2009, 10:32
I've only seen one because I've only seen one. Seems most the places I dive don't have sharks. I'm sure that will change as I'm always looking for different dive locations.

One shark. No problem. Three or four sharks. No problem. One thirty sharks, hmm, not too sure. Heck, I'd have a problem with a thirty divers on one wreck. :smiley36:

Definitely will come down to NC some day. It is a 16 hour drive according to Google Maps. With traffic, bio-breaks and crossing the border it is probably more like 20 hours (two days for me). That is definitely doable. It will probably be a few years before I have enough vacation time however. :smiley13:

That could change though (switch companies, we sell the company early, I win the lottery) :)

Come on down. You crazy Canucks dive in trunks when we are in 5mm suits.

DivingCRNA
08-25-2009, 12:22
I have seen a lot of sharks diving in the Bahamas. I have found if you leave them alone, they leave you alone.

Unless you spear a lobster around them. Them just give up the lobster and go on your way!

scubadiver888
08-25-2009, 14:14
I have seen a lot of sharks diving in the Bahamas. I have found if you leave them alone, they leave you alone.

Unless you spear a lobster around them. Them just give up the lobster and go on your way!

I've heard there are a lot of sharks there. I've only been diving Lake Ontario or south of Puerto Rico. Actually I went diving once in Cuba; I think that is north of Puerto Rico but no sharks there.

fire diver
08-25-2009, 14:59
Oh, there were sharks, you just didn't see them.

They are really pretty shy, kinda like the giant bass in my local lakes. If you look for the shadows on the periphery of visibility you can see them circling you, checking you out. The first hint of moving towards them and they are gone.

it_mike
08-25-2009, 15:38
Need to get some shore diving done in NC

navyhmc
08-25-2009, 16:42
Oh, there were sharks, you just didn't see them.

They are really pretty shy, kinda like the giant bass in my local lakes. If you look for the shadows on the periphery of visibility you can see them circling you, checking you out. The first hint of moving towards them and they are gone.

Yeah, but sharks don't usually swarm at the sound of two rocks banging together...:smiley36:

Travelnsj
08-25-2009, 17:11
Come on down.

I would in a heartbeat:smiley20:....when you can predict that ocean will be flat for the 2 hour journey:smiley2:....Loved that diving!

CompuDude
08-25-2009, 17:32
Yes, please! :D

Lulubelle
08-25-2009, 17:42
Need to get some shore diving done in NC

Not much in the way of shore diving here mike, a tiny bit on the northeastern coast, but most is a 2 hour journey offshore.

Yes, please! :D

Yes please WHAT CD? :smiley2:

Bigake
08-25-2009, 21:12
Not for me Sugar..... They might want to munch on this fat boy...

navyhmc
08-25-2009, 21:51
I too would love to come on over and dive, unfortunately, it's not in the cards right now. :smiley19:

Skred
08-25-2009, 22:07
Sharks, bah! They taste like chicken! :smiley36:

Seriously, no idea when it will happen, but your neck of the woods is definitely on the "must dive" list. We'll ping you when we get ready to do it! :smiley20:

Lulubelle
08-25-2009, 22:13
Sharks, bah! They taste like chicken! :smiley36:

Seriously, no idea when it will happen, but your neck of the woods is definitely on the "must dive" list. We'll ping you when we get ready to do it! :smiley20:

I think the real question is not what the sharks taste like, but what YOU taste like. :smiley5:

Come on over, but do me a favor and plan yourself a nice leisurely week. There have been more weekends blown out than not this year.

TJDiver
08-28-2009, 14:26
Dang! That's a bunch 'o teeth!

My LDS just did a trip to NC for some wreck diving. Check out the first pic in their photo gallery for that weekend. Morehead City, NC (http://www.rheasdiving.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1781)

navyhmc
08-28-2009, 15:22
They do look viscious, don't they???

snagel
08-28-2009, 15:45
I looked at the photo's then scrolled back up and looked at them again. At first, I thought, what? Then it hit me, them be sharks! I read a couple of the posts and thought, maybe I'm wrong; so, I scrolled through the photo's again - yep, sharks.

Some of you are absolutely nuts wanting to swim with them. I didn't want to make an initial post until several confirmed by thoughts.

Snagel

Skred
08-28-2009, 16:05
I think the real question is not what the sharks taste like, but what YOU taste like. :smiley5:

Neoprene, of course, but they won't like me 'cause I'm a bit chewy! :smiley36:

DMWiz
08-28-2009, 16:19
I can't tell what they are from the pictures, but they surely remind me of fishing in the flats of the keys and avoiding the lemons or diving in Coiba with the hammerheads.

Is this something that occurs regularly up there L?

You can often find bulls just offshore along FL beaches and everywhere in the Bahamas. Those really scare me!

Jaymeany
08-28-2009, 19:43
I got to go down in late July. Great diving lots of sharks and they let me take pictures too! Found shark teeth and all that. great overall experience. Boat rides were long but worth it. If you can swing it I'd make it a must dive!

caburrid
08-28-2009, 20:04
That looks like a lot of fun. I REALLY want to do a shark dive so bad! I am thinking of going to the Bahamas and doing one out there. Diving in waters like this sure would get my heart going!

Lulubelle
08-28-2009, 22:12
I can't tell what they are from the pictures, but they surely remind me of fishing in the flats of the keys and avoiding the lemons or diving in Coiba with the hammerheads.

You can often find bulls just offshore along FL beaches and everywhere in the Bahamas. Those really scare me!

My understanding is that this is typical in the inlet. I can't tell what they are either, but most that I see in the water diving are sand tigers, and it is not uncommon to see blacktips closer to shore. I'm sure there are others!

I'm a lot more afraid of landsharks. I know too many.

navyhmc
08-28-2009, 22:15
"I'm really a Dolphin..."

"Candy Gram..."

DMWiz
08-29-2009, 09:07
I'm a lot more afraid of landsharks. I know too many.

:smilie39: I'm so sorry!

Now sand tigers look menacing with all them teeth... I've seen them mating and all I can say is, "I'm glad we have opposable thumbs for a much more pleasurable mating experience" :smiley2:

bobby_hirst
09-23-2009, 10:43
I went shark diving in December 2008 in the Bahamas and plan on going again in February 2010. My sister in law lives in NC, and I may just have to make a trip there for this. Looks totally awesome!

Lulubelle
09-24-2009, 01:35
They do look viscious, don't they???

Nah, not nearly as viscious as the landsharks. Or sticks. Or the killer bream in our local quarry. Really, a guy got bit by one recently.

Indeed Wiz, they seem to favor certain wrecks over others. One of the most popular "shark" dives is an intact artificially sunken coast guard cutter. Last time I was on it the current was very strong and it was groovy to watch their behavior. They were down on the sand on the ?starboard? side facing into the current for the most part.

I kind of need to learn a bit more about shark ID. There are bulls and others in our waters too, and I'd like to recognize the difference!

DMWiz
09-24-2009, 06:37
I kind of need to learn a bit more about shark ID. There are bulls and others in our waters too, and I'd like to recognize the difference!

Shark ID 101:

Step 1. If it bites you chances are it was a bull:smiley2::smilie39:
Step 2. Try step one on your buddy before attempting to pet said shark :smilie40:

BTW, Starboard it's just a fancy way of saying right and port has the same number of letters as left. That's how I remember it.

scubadiver888
09-24-2009, 07:25

Shark ID 101:

Step 1. If it bites you chances are it was a bull:smiley2::smilie39:
Step 2. Try step one on your buddy before attempting to pet said shark :smilie40:

BTW, Starboard it's just a fancy way of saying right and port has the same number of letters as left. That's how I remember it.

:smiley36: Port = Left is how I remember it too. You also need to remember this is correct if you are on the boat facing the front. Doesn't work if you are off the boat looking at the bow.

whichwayis_up
12-30-2009, 14:57
Just remember, you don't have to be the fastest swimmer, just faster than your buddy!