PDA

View Full Version : My Sony's Maiden Voyage

Tekdivr
08-25-2009, 11:37
I'm new to the whole underwater video scene and was hoping someone out may have the same set up as I do and could let me know what some of the tricks are for recording a really good video. I'll be heading to Cozumel in October and this will be it's maiden voyage. Now for the setup: Sony HD-SR1, Ikelight housing, Ikelight wide angle and UV filter. I have a HID Light Cannon that I'm also going to take, just in case.

fire diver
08-25-2009, 12:51
I don't have your setup, but I would recommend playing with it on land as much as possible. Get used to how the controls work so that theres no confusion after you hit the water. Once you get used to it on land, take it in the lake, or even a pool to try it out.

Tekdivr
08-25-2009, 14:19
I'm pretty comfortable with it out of the water and I'll more than likely have some pool time before leaving. I was hoping to get some advice on my specific model. More or less, some do's and don'ts as it relates to shooting video with this particular camera/housing. Thanks for the info though.

diversteve
08-26-2009, 02:20
One thing that seems to be repeated in the video forums is that leaving an Ikelite housing in the sun will lead to a higher possibility of it fogging. Most recommend covering it with a towel and putting it in a shaded area on the boat.

Load and seal it in your room. Near the air-conditioner (drier air) always worked well with my previous poly housing. You also want to be anal about checking the o-ring before sealing it - one hair or sand particle will ruin your whole day.

Generally you'll have better results if you shoot wide-angle, get closer and keep the sun at your back. I try to shoot up also - it's more interesting to see blue water in the background.

Does your camera/housing do Manual White Balance? In Coz I would to negate some of the overall blue.

UV Filter or Red Filter? External or Internal? A Red filter will yellow everything above about 15' but it's a good trade-off deeper. It's pretty bright in Coz so you shouldn't have too much light fall-off above about 100' or so. I've never heard of anyone using a UV filter underwater.

A Light Cannon with the diffuser makes a decent video light, I know someone who does that.

Tekdivr
08-26-2009, 06:05
Thanks for all the tips! The filter I have is an orange color for blue water and it's external. I guess I confused it for being a UV filter. I do believe the camera has a manual white balance so I'll have to play around with that. I figure the only time I'll need the light is when diving swim thru's or at night. I wasn't aware that there was a diffuser for the Light Cannon. I'll have to look into picking one up. Thanks again for the help diversteve!