PDA

View Full Version : Question about HP Steel

creggur
08-28-2007, 06:50
I think I've decided when the time comes to go with steel tanks.. The size of the HP80, and HP100 are perfect for my wife and me respectively..

I like the boyouncy characteristics, and the idea of the tank lasting forever with proper care. I feel the increased $$ is justified for these reasons..

My question is do yoke valves work at the 3442 pressure, or will I be looking at having to switch to DIN?

Also is it difficult to get a good fill to that pressure?

mm_dm
08-28-2007, 07:56
I used yoke for at least a year on mine before I switched to DIN. You'll be fine with the yoke setup and you can change it out later (after you get over how much you spent on the tanks). I never have a problem getting a full fill from a dive shop, but some dive boats and on-site fill stations will only fill to 3000psi. Not a big deal IMHO.

I would carry some spare o-rings for your tanks. Some fill stations really crank down hard and nick the ring. I had more o-rings nicked on fills than I could ever destroy on my own

rubberduck
08-28-2007, 07:58
I just purchased a new HP100 and it came with a yoke/din valve. It basically has an insert that is used for yoke regs. Remove the insert and your ready for din diving. You get the best of both worlds.

I have had no problems with a good fill but I do usually drop my tank off and pick it up later.

mike_s
08-28-2007, 08:36

My question is do yoke valves work at the 3442 pressure, or will I be looking at having to switch to DIN?

Also is it difficult to get a good fill to that pressure?

All the 3442 tanks are yoke compatible with any yoke made in the last 10 years or so. Look at your yoke and it most likely will have a pressure rating stamped on it. I think mine is 4000psi.

Pretty much the only new HP Steels you can buy right now are the Faber (aka Blue Steel) and the Worthingtons.

Unless they ordered it with an odd valve, the Worthington HP tanks come with the Thermo Pro Valve. it's a DIN/Yoke convertible. You use an allen wrench to remove a yoke insert to use the DIN fitting.

The Faber tanks comes with a San-o-sub convertible DIN/Yoke valve that the inserts removes the same way.

With either of these configurations, you'll be fine with your yoke. However, once you go DIN, you'll never want to go back.

mwhities
08-28-2007, 08:46
With either of these configurations, you'll be fine with your yoke. However, once you go DIN, you'll never want to go back.

I concur.

Michael

MEL-DC Diver
08-28-2007, 08:47
If you already have yoke regs, stick with the yoke. No sense changing your entire configuration based on 1 part of it. That being said, there are a few big DIN users on this board and that is why you hear so much about DIN - most everyone uses Yoke. You will hear this likened to VHS and BETA. Yes Beta was superior, but VHS won out and in the end you are still watching the movie. Blown O-rings is also spoken about. It happens in Yoke configurations, but not nearly as often as you would be led to believe - and actually changing one takes about 2 seconds. BFD, in my opionion. Keep some spares in your dive bag. Note also that the Thermo/Convertible valve can handle both connections, so your tank is really not going to be the deciding factor. See how you go for now and if you really want to change it out you can always fit out your regs later.

As for fills... Always check the pressure when you pick them up and have 'em top them off if low. If getting a hot fill, look for 100-200 lbs overpressure.

creggur
08-28-2007, 09:12
Thanks for the info guy's. Exactly what I needed to know...

cgvmer
08-28-2007, 09:13
Yoke are probably the most common in the US and Carib. DIN is more common in Europe. DIN is more flexible as you can convert DIN to YOKE, but I have not seen a conversion of YOKE to DIN.

For one companies's take on this read here:http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/tanks.shtml

JugglingMonkeys
08-28-2007, 09:18
nice page!

it says, "The HP100 is the most popular steel tank choosen by sport divers."

do you agree?

MEL-DC Diver
08-28-2007, 09:25
Yoke are probably the most common in the US and Carib. DIN is more common in Europe. DIN is more flexible as you can convert DIN to YOKE, but I have not seen a conversion of YOKE to DIN.

For one companies's take on this read here:http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/tanks.shtml

In my experience, DIN is only more common in Europe. Everywhere else (not just US/Caribbean) - Yoke. Unless you plan on doing a lot of European diving, not a deciding factor.

MEL-DC Diver
08-28-2007, 09:26
nice page!

do you agree?

I would've thought that the HP100 was the most versitile/functional, but that the most popular was the HP80, if for no other reasons than its size, comparable air capacity to the AL80, and cost.

ScaredSilly
08-28-2007, 09:42

You can find yoke-to-din here and there as well. Not quite as common but they are are around. I used one while living in France with my regs. But many folks had yokes as well.

Here is my take - we have din for home along with din-to-yoke. But I also have the full yoke kit as well. So our regs can be either.

I would stick with yoke until there is a need to change. That is what we did. Also if you get din I would suggest also buying a DIN/Yoke fill adapter and taking that with you (or at least the valve inserts) as many places do not have din fillers.

subsur
08-28-2007, 09:46
i agree that if you have your reg in yoke - get a tank with yoke. as mentioned it's very easy to go from yoke tank to din (at least on new Faber tanks) by just unscrewing the donut yoke thingy with a hex key. if you were asking if you should buy din reg or yoke i'd suggest din.
p.s. carry o-rings with you as yoke is more prompt to have o-ring issues.

Aussie
08-30-2007, 06:15
I currently have 4 faber cylinders. 2x 10Litre 300bar rated and 2x 12.2litre 232 bar rated. Both Cylinders have 300bar DIN valves. Keep this in mind if you get HP DIN valves (300bar)as you can not use yoke screw-in plugs in them. I always double check my DIN sten with an alan key to see if they have been worked loose. This can happen if your using a DIN to Yoke adaptor.

Aussie

jeepbrew
08-31-2007, 21:02
As everyone has said, you should have no problems with Yoke.

cummings66
09-01-2007, 09:39
Pretty much the only new HP Steels you can buy right now are the Faber (aka Blue Steel) and the Worthingtons.

The Sherwood Genesis tanks are not made by those companies. You have Akai, Norris and I think at least one more HP steel tank company out there. There are more choices than people realize.

CrzyJay456
09-01-2007, 15:42
i see a handfull of divers on HP steel with yokes, so you should be fine too

mike_s
09-04-2007, 08:58

The Sherwood Genesis tanks are not made by those companies. You have Akai, Norris and I think at least one more HP steel tank company out there. There are more choices than people realize.

Yep. You're correct. I didn't include those. In the area where I live you pretty much have a hard time finding any of those cylinders. The Genesis HP tanks weren't that popular because they were spun steel made by Asahi (or similar name). I'm not that sure who makes them now.

PST says they are coming out with new tanks... but that was last year and I don't know if they ever did. Whether or not they will have a marketplace is a whole other discussion.

CompuDude
09-04-2007, 15:22
nice page!

do you agree?
I would've thought that the HP100 was the most versitile/functional, but that the most popular was the HP80, if for no other reasons than its size, comparable air capacity to the AL80, and cost.
HP80s are popular with smaller divers, but I think I'd have to agree that HP100s are probably the most popular steel tanks, and definitely the most versatile. There is a pretty good-size contingent of divers out there that prefer LP tanks as well, so LP80/85/95 tanks are quite popular, too.

Personally, while I see the argument for the LP80/85, I'm not interested in anything other than HP100s and bigger.

CompuDude
09-04-2007, 15:28

Yep. You're correct. I didn't include those. In the area where I live you pretty much have a hard time finding any of those cylinders. The Genesis HP tanks weren't that popular because they were spun steel made by Asahi (or similar name). I'm not that sure who makes them now.

PST says they are coming out with new tanks... but that was last year and I don't know if they ever did. Whether or not they will have a marketplace is a whole other discussion.
Genesis tanks are still made by Asahi ("Spun"). And still fairly worthless, IMO, unless there is no alternative available.

I would stick with yoke until there is a need to change. That is what we did. Also if you get din I would suggest also buying a DIN/Yoke fill adapter and taking that with you (or at least the valve inserts) as many places do not have din fillers.
I agree no need to change your regs to DIN immediately, but I would consider going that way in the future. Either way, make sure your tank comes with a convertible DIN/Yoke valve and you're covered for the future.

While I believe it is possible (pretty much anything is), I have never come across a shop that can't fill a DIN tank. And you can use a little plug in adapter to use a Yoke fill whip on a DIN tank, be they 300 bar or 200, unless you have a terrible adapter. Most local boats have only Yoke fill whips, and the adapters have no problems with filling my HP tanks with 300 bar DIN valves, be they singles or manifolded doubles.

Jellybeandiver
10-21-2007, 20:23
HP tanks are much rougher on your gear wearing the o rings and such down much quicker. there is a new choice out there I've been looking at and its a LP 77 steel. This gives you about the same size of a 63 which I like because I have a short torso. but you get almost the same cubic feet as an al 80

CompuDude
10-21-2007, 23:55
HP tanks are much rougher on your gear wearing the o rings and such down much quicker. there is a new choice out there I've been looking at and its a LP 77 steel. This gives you about the same size of a 63 which I like because I have a short torso. but you get almost the same cubic feet as an al 80

As long as you get your regulators serviced every year, like you should anyway, this is not a concern.

If you are trying to pinch pennies by putting off regular service on your regulators... HP vs. LP tanks are the least of your concerns.