PDA

View Full Version : Miflex Hoses

Tekdivr
08-28-2009, 05:34
Just curious to see if anyone has any feedback on using miflex hoses in a DIR configuration. Seems to me they would be more durable and less prone to failure.

Flatliner
08-28-2009, 05:50
I am using this config. I love the way they pack and perform is all I can say. I even have a myflex hp hose but I have only had it on 6 or 7 dives at this point.

(FYI, not a tech guy, just a wannabe)

LiteHedded
08-28-2009, 07:09
i've been hearing more and more bad things
they look really cool but I would probably search over at thedecostop and read the threads before purchasing

Tekdivr
08-28-2009, 08:34
Thanks for the info guy's! I bought an HP hose recently,when I replaced my gauge and thought I may swap out the others too. I'll check out decostop and see what they're saying. Thanks again!

nrembis
08-28-2009, 09:00
Hi Jim, while I am not a techie, I do use miflex hoses and the resistance to abrasions are great. I do not use no long hose configurations, so not sure how flippy floppy they might be and what kind of entanglement issues they might have.

Tekdivr
08-28-2009, 09:20
Hey Nick, Tony just recently switched all of his out and he really likes them. Granted he's only made a couple dives with them, but he's diving a long hose config like myself. I just don't want the 7' hose to be floating off my chest or anything crazy like that. I'm so used to the heavier,stiffer standard type hose and was just wondering how many people are using these at this point. The abrasion characteristics are appealing, since I do jump in a cave from time to time.

comet24
08-28-2009, 09:22
I use Miflex hoses on my single tank DMing rig and my doubles. Haven't had any issues. The flexibility is nice when packing gear. Time will tell on longevity though but I have over 100 dive on one of the hoses.

UCFKnightDiver
08-28-2009, 09:30
I don't have a problem with my tried and true rubber hoses now, and see no reason to switch. I will wait and see how miflex does.

Tekdivr
08-28-2009, 11:44
There were 20 some posts on the decostop forum. Pretty much it looks like people are happy with them, even in tec configuration. Some have concerns with the hoses being somewhat slippery and not holding position behind a canister light, but that sounds like an easy fix. A couple schraeder valve issues, but that sounded like a quick fix also. All in all I think I'm going to give them a shot. My hoses are due for replacement in the near future and what the heck!

tk trekers
08-28-2009, 12:28
Most of the disgruntled people are complaining about using the 6" HP Miflex hose on stage bottle setups and that it won't hold the position due to the flexibility and small diameter of the HP hose. Every product has its limitations, fans and naysayers.

I like the flexibility and reduced weight, it may not be much be any weight savings is a plus. The Miflex cover doesn't bother my neck as some people have said and quite frankly, I like the way they look. With my configurations, I don't really have any flip floppiness or problems with the hoses floating around.

I read a lot of posts and even PM'd a few people who had originally tried them out when they were first introduced to get their perspective now that they have much more use on them. Those replies were generally favorable and very few had much, if anything negative to say about them before I made the decision to switch over.

I have no regrets about switching to them.

Jack Hammer
08-28-2009, 12:55
The only real complaints Ive heard are the 6" hose being more difficult to keep in position on stage/deco bottles and the long hose flapping around during scootering or a few people having difficuly with it staying under a can light. I don't scooter and I use a regular 6" hose so I can't comment on either those. I use an older big and bulky wreck can light and I haven't had any issues with my hoses coming out from under it. I'm sure the size of the canister may make a difference. When I dive without my can light I stuff the hose under my harness waist strap and have yet to have it come loose at all.

I've been using a 7' & 22" hose with my doubles and a 5" & 22" hose with singles for the about a year and have had zero issues or complaints. I'm extremely happy with them and they route fine and lay flatter than the other hoses I used did.

navyhmc
08-28-2009, 15:30
I have seen a few tec's with them, they say they fit wel within the DIR realm as they are reportedly higher pressure tested and more durable.

jj1987
08-29-2009, 00:19
I'll add this disclaimer first - I've learned the hard way all too many times, if it's not DIR compatible, at some point, I'll regret the decision, maybe later on down the road as I learn more about diving, however....

I bought a 6in HP hose as I had a old style rubber one crack on me and the local dive shop only had miflex hoses. I have my stage bottle DIR rigged, so I guess I can comment on it after tomorrow. Doing a double stage dive with o2, so I'll have 2 bottles with the old school ones and one bottle with the new 6in miflex hose. I would have preferred letting someone else do the beta testing, but I wasn't going to let that stand between me and a cave dive :smiley21:

At first install, I'm more impressed than I thought I'd be, they're VERY flexible, and virtually no strain is being put on the connection because of that. Really, you could easily use a 4in HP miflex hose on a stage from what I saw today and STILL have less tension on the hose. It feels more durable than the rubber hose, but nothing scientific about that. I always tie my stage SPG's back very tight, so I don't think I'll have an issue with flapping, but I'll test it first to see.

They seem very slick, I can easily see them not staying put under stage bands or a can light.

Anyways, my LDS wanted $25 for the 6in hose, so I figured it's worth a shot. I'll post back soon, better get some sleep, got a 3+ hour dive ahead of me tomorrow (whohooo!)!

FWIW Here's a few links
Miflex Hoses - DIR Explorers (http://www.direxplorers.com/dir-kit-questions/8175-miflex-hoses.html)
Miflex Extreme-hi - DIR Explorers (http://www.direxplorers.com/dir-kit-questions/7649-miflex-extreme-hi.html)
The Deco Stop (http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39913)
The Deco Stop (http://thedecostop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39008)

CompuDude
08-29-2009, 02:03
I'm sure you've read my posts on TDS (and even here), but I'll reiterate my "buy" rating on miflex hoses. :)

THAT SAID.

I don't see much point for the HP hoses on a DIR rig. Stick with rubber. I can see the application on a stage bottle, but the "floppy" complaint I'm reading does give me pause. It depends on how you rig your stages, though... some configurations are more affected than others. For the SPG, however, I think I like a little thickness and stiffness in the hose, so it behaves more predictably when clipping and unclipping to check pressure.

For the LP inflator, drysuit, and necklaced secondary, I don't think I'll ever buy another rubber hose. I go back and forth a bit on the long hose, but overall I like it.

No need to replace perfectly good rubber hoses with Miflex unless you just feel like spending money. But as they need replacing anyway, at replacement time I say go for it. :)

navyhmc
08-29-2009, 02:06
I'm sure you've read my posts on TDS (and even here), but I'll reiterate my "buy" rating on miflex hoses. :)

No need to replace perfectly good rubber hoses with Miflex unless you just feel like spending money. But as they need replacing anyway, at replacement time I say go for it. :)

That's my plan....

jj1987
08-29-2009, 20:59
OK, did a dive today....just over 2.5 hrs in the water, and the most annoying part of it was the part that I was on the stage with the miflex hose. It doesn't stick out enough, it lays back up against the 1st stage so that it's more difficult to read the SPG. I'll deal with it if the hose is more reliable, but it's def annoying.

LiteHedded
08-31-2009, 07:16
OK, did a dive today....just over 2.5 hrs in the water, and the most annoying part of it was the part that I was on the stage with the miflex hose. It doesn't stick out enough, it lays back up against the 1st stage so that it's more difficult to read the SPG. I'll deal with it if the hose is more reliable, but it's def annoying.
not sure why they'd be more reliable
ur talking about the HP hose?

jj1987
08-31-2009, 08:27
Yeah, I'll try to post a picture tonight so I can show you how much less strain is on the hose. It's a huge difference. When I was at cow springs a few weeks back, we had a stage crap out on us because the hose cracked, I'm guessing because of the stress on the hose.

LiteHedded
08-31-2009, 08:39
Yeah, I'll try to post a picture tonight so I can show you how much less strain is on the hose. It's a huge difference. When I was at cow springs a few weeks back, we had a stage crap out on us because the hose cracked, I'm guessing because of the stress on the hose.
ive had a few stage failures because of the hp host but it's always been the spool or an o ring or something. how many stages did you take in to cow exactly? :D

jj1987
08-31-2009, 09:16
ive had a few stage failures because of the hp host but it's always been the spool or an o ring or something. how many stages did you take in to cow exactly? :D
You can get a stage in there, just have to unclip it and push it ahead of you at times :smiley20:

CompuDude
08-31-2009, 18:05
Those short 6" hoses wear out fast (relatively) due to the sharp bend. Miflex is a great solution to the problem of hoses cracking for this reason. HOWEVER they don't have the same tension compared to rubber, and lay differently, so that's a game killer for some.

IF you're happy with the way Miflex hoses support the SPG, I think the Miflex hose would last much longer than a rubber hose, for this application.

SlvrDragon50
08-31-2009, 20:15
Does anyone use a miflex hose on the octo reg?

I had to dive with my octo and it felt like it was falling out of my mouth the whole dive.. I'm fairly certain it wasn't the hose length but I'm hoping miflex would help solve the problem

tk trekers
08-31-2009, 21:26
I think there are quite a few of us using a 22" Miflex hose on a bungee type necklace. My wife also has a Miflex hose on her traditional octo setup.

Jack Hammer
09-01-2009, 04:45

I had to dive with my octo and it felt like it was falling out of my mouth the whole dive.. I'm fairly certain it wasn't the hose length but I'm hoping miflex would help solve the problem
If the reg feels like it's falling out of your mouth it may be time to look into a different mouthpiece. I am a big fan of the aqualung comfobite mouthpieces and use them on all my regs. I find they allow the reg to easily hang in my mouth without me having to bite down to keep it in. The miflex hoses are lighter and more flexible which I find helps too, but the mouthpiece will likely make a bigger difference in your scenario.

buddhasummer
09-01-2009, 05:43
what is a schraeder valve? my Inflator miflex hose leaks a little depending on position i.e. if I wiggle/twist it a bit it stops. Is this the schraeder valve people have mentioned? I have a 22" backup and 40" primary Miflex and I like them. Will get the HP hose as Im a little OCD and feel sorry for the lonley rubber SPG hose I currently have.

CompuDude
09-01-2009, 22:34
what is a schraeder valve? my Inflator miflex hose leaks a little depending on position i.e. if I wiggle/twist it a bit it stops. Is this the schraeder valve people have mentioned? I have a 22" backup and 40" primary Miflex and I like them. Will get the HP hose as Im a little OCD and feel sorry for the lonley rubber SPG hose I currently have.

It's the little bike valve looking thing. Schrader valve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrader_valve)

But reg hoses don't have them. Your LP inflator does, but not your reg.

I would see about exchanging your new Miflex hose for a different one, as a new hose that leaks is defective, assuming you have everything hooked up right.

buddhasummer
09-02-2009, 03:13

It's the little bike valve looking thing. Schrader valve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrader_valve)

But reg hoses don't have them. Your LP inflator does, but not your reg.

I would see about exchanging your new Miflex hose for a different one, as a new hose that leaks is defective, assuming you have everything hooked up right.

Thanks for that. Yep its my inflator hose, I can see the "bike" valve, Ive had the hose for almost two years so guess Im **** out of luck re returning it, its always leaked a little right from the get go, guess ill keep giving it a wiggle or try to tighten the valve as some one over on TDS previously wrote about.

Lone Frogman
09-02-2009, 03:27
Maybe just replacing the o ring in it would be a fix.

buddhasummer
09-02-2009, 03:34
Maybe just replacing the o ring in it would be a fix.

is there an O ring at the inflator end?

Lone Frogman
09-02-2009, 08:02
Yes inside the quick coupling near the bottom. It can be removed with a o ring pick. You will have to replace it if you remove it, because it will be damaged getting it out.

Tekdivr
09-02-2009, 23:04
I've been servicing dive gear for the past 12 years and have not seen a serviceable o-ring in the coupler end. The schrader valve is a self-contained part that is replaced as an assembly. It's the same part of used in your car tire valve stem. The valve could be loose or may need to replaced. The tool needed can be purchased at an auto parts store. If the leak doesn't stop after snugging the valve up, then replace it. The part should only cost a couple of bucks. There's usually an o-ring on the male end that is attached to your BC's inflator mechanism. Usually not the issue though.

nrembis
09-03-2009, 07:15

I use miflex hose on my octo as well as primary. I switched out my regular hoses as I wanted to alleviate any type of sideways strain on my jaw because I have a full upper and lower plate, so chances are good for me if I have a reg pulled out of my mouth forcefully I will have a $3000.00 set of teeth sinking to the bottom :smiley21:

Lone Frogman
09-03-2009, 14:35
I've been servicing dive gear for the past 12 years and have not seen a serviceable o-ring in the coupler end.

Take your sun glasses off and look inside the coupler on the hose. The ones I see that are leaking are missing the o ring. If your condemning the leaking ones, you can send the bad ones to me.

Tekdivr
09-03-2009, 19:27
Take your sun glasses off and look inside the coupler on the hose. The ones I see that are leaking are missing the o ring. If your condemning the leaking ones, you can send the bad ones to me.[/quote]

Well I come to the forum offering my apologies for being human and being wrong. As it was put to me, I came home from work today, took off my sunglasses and looked at my low pressure inflator hose. Low and behold there was a tiny encapsulated o-ring down inside the coupler. I've never come across one that has leaked from there before and thus my ignorance. I've replaced many a schrader valve for leaking and a couple hoses for leaking at the swedge fittings or being dry rotted. I guess from now on I will verify things a little more before posting something in error. Please accept my apology.:smiley29:

navyhmc
09-03-2009, 19:54
Take your sun glasses off and look inside the coupler on the hose. The ones I see that are leaking are missing the o ring. If your condemning the leaking ones, you can send the bad ones to me.

Well I come to the forum offering my apologies for being human and being wrong. As it was put to me, I came home from work today, took off my sunglasses and looked at my low pressure inflator hose. Low and behold there was a tiny encapsulated o-ring down inside the coupler. I've never come across one that has leaked from there before and thus my ignorance. I've replaced many a schrader valve for leaking and a couple hoses for leaking at the swedge fittings or being dry rotted. I guess from now on I will verify things a little more before posting something in error. Please accept my apology.:smiley29:

It's all good Tekdiver! :smiley20:

tk trekers
09-03-2009, 20:42

I will add that I've known Tekdiver for 40 years, he was my next door neighbor when I was born and we've worked together on many projects over the years. We started out with bicycles when we were young and then as we got older we put a few cars together, built a few bedrooms in a house, a deck on my old house to hold my hot tub and several years at a car dealership together. Over the years and the many things we've worked on together, there is one thing that I can state without any qualms, the man has some serious skills when it comes to working on anything. So if the recessed o-ring had been a problem on someone's lp inflator hose, he would have found the problem and fixed it, I have no doubt.

Tekdivr
09-03-2009, 21:42

Thanks for the understanding Navy! It's much appreciated. I was starting to get an SB vibe there for a sec.

Thanks TK for having my back! We've seen and done a lot together over the years and even though we're hundreds of miles apart now, diving will soon bring us back together. Be prepared for Cozumel! It will be like no other trip you've taken.

Recon
09-03-2009, 22:32
everyone makes a mistake, NO SB vibes here ...

~Recon

Lone Frogman
09-04-2009, 05:16
I did not mean to flame or jump down anyone's throat (post). I'm sorry if I came off that way.

I agree its very rare to see one bad. And for the record I'm not a service tech for anyone but myself. Your the last guy I want to tick off I may need your services sometime.
I just wanted the OP to check one more thing..

Tekdivr
09-04-2009, 05:34
I did not mean to flame or jump down anyone's throat (post). I'm sorry if I came off that way.

I agree its very rare to see one bad. And for the record I'm not a service tech for anyone but myself. Your the last guy I want to tick off I may need your services sometime.
I just wanted the OP to check one more thing..

No harm done Frogman. You did mention seeing them missing. The way that o-ring sits in a groove I would think it would be a bizzarre instance of it coming out. That would definitely make for a heck of a leak. The issues I run into are more of the hose hissing when it's unhooked from the bc. This occurs more due to a lack of proper rinsing by the owner and the valve getting corroded up.

awap
09-04-2009, 09:23

Well I come to the forum offering my apologies for being human and being wrong. As it was put to me, I came home from work today, took off my sunglasses and looked at my low pressure inflator hose. Low and behold there was a tiny encapsulated o-ring down inside the coupler. I've never come across one that has leaked from there before and thus my ignorance. I've replaced many a schrader valve for leaking and a couple hoses for leaking at the swedge fittings or being dry rotted. I guess from now on I will verify things a little more before posting something in error. Please accept my apology.:smiley29:[/QUOTE]

If the LPI hose leaks from the connector when it is not connected to an inflator, then it is probably a faulty schrader valve. If it leaks in the area of the connectio0n when connected to an inflator, it is probably the o-ring (2-011).