PDA

View Full Version : secondary on mask?

BRsnow
08-28-2009, 21:04
My secondary light has the mask attachment option, curious on others thoughts on this. I don't think I will put it on there as I think it might bother me more than help. What benefits to having it on?

scubadiver888
08-28-2009, 21:16
Being able to attach a secondary light to your mask lets you free your hands. It is sort of the equivalent of a helmet with a light on it that coal miners would use.

tk trekers
08-28-2009, 21:49
I've used mine in the pool only and it was OK. That being said I would still use another light for the primary and carry a more suitable secondary light and think of the mask mounted light as an assistant to the primary.

Splitlip
08-28-2009, 22:02
I've used mine in the pool only and it was OK. That being said I would still use another light for the primary and carry a more suitable secondary light and think of the mask mounted light as an assistant to the primary.

agree

Splitlip
08-28-2009, 22:04
Fact is...I would not be inclined to put anything on my mask.

DevilDiver
08-28-2009, 22:07
I would not attach a light to my mask. First off every time you looked at a diver you would be shinning the light right in their face, also if it attached to the strap it would flop around (especially in a current) and could break the seal causing the mask to leak.

As far as a secondary or back up light it should kept where it can be reached if needed by either hand and clipped off and restrained so it does not dangle.

Damselfish
08-28-2009, 22:37
I don't think putting a light on your mask makes sense. Because you may blind people, because it may make your mask leak. And because i think you'll have a hard time shining it where you really want without killing your neck. When you hold a light in your hand you can move it to the side and sweep it around, but follow it partly with just your eyes rather than jerking your head all over the place.

tk trekers
08-28-2009, 23:13
I don't think putting a light on your mask makes sense. Because you may blind people, because it may make your mask leak. And because i think you'll have a hard time shining it where you really want without killing your neck. When you hold a light in your hand you can move it to the side and sweep it around, but follow it partly with just your eyes rather than jerking your head all over the place.

I agree completely, hence the reason mine was only used in the pool.

CompuDude
08-29-2009, 01:49
I would not attach a light to my mask. First off every time you looked at a diver you would be shinning the light right in their face, also if it attached to the strap it would flop around (especially in a current) and could break the seal causing the mask to leak.

As far as a secondary or back up light it should kept where it can be reached if needed by either hand and clipped off and restrained so it does not dangle.

We have a winner! :smiley20:

(Solo cave divers may have other viewpoints on head-mounted lights, but for most, I don't think they're the right answer.)

zobarak
09-17-2009, 00:01
I would personally prefer a headlight as a backup unit. A light attached to a mask possibly makes your mask leak. Headlight also gives you the opportunity to use them on your wrist or hand.

cmburch
09-17-2009, 01:29
I use the mask attachment for my gun. It works great for looking into holes, under ledges, etc.

Bill A
05-28-2010, 14:00
Never would have thought of lighting a gun, mostly I'm looking for bugs after dark and we cant use anything but our hands to catch them.... rules and the like. As for lights I hang a backup on my BC and carry the primary that has 2 bulb elements so it can be switched in a failure easily. I actually turn my backup on while entering as well as my primary so if I drop one I can find the darned thing.
Bill

Scuba Pete
05-28-2010, 14:45
One thing that I have learned. Lights mounted on the head is a controversial subject. I have thought about it and came to the conclusion that while it may be really nice to have a light mounted on my mask, I dont like that I could possibly ruin the "night" vision of my buddy. If you head over to the Cave divers forum Cavern, Cave and Overhead Diving Around the World (http://www.cavediver.net) there was a recent thread about the best light to mount on the mask.

here is the thread

Mask light suggestions - Cave Diver's Forum - Cave Diving Resource (http://www.cavediver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13233)

cmburch
05-29-2010, 22:34
The light on the gun is for normal use, day and night. Our visibility can be limited at times especially in kelp forests. It is much easier looking in between rocks and under ledges when the light is on some extension. We are allowed to spearfish when abalone diving, diving for crabs, and diving for lobster. Just no hooked device, so we use sliptips for spearfishing rather than a flopper. CA DFG will cite if walking to car with speargun and lobster if the spear looks like a hooked device. The silicon adapter came with the light. I also use it for attaching a camera to my gun.

Bill A
06-06-2010, 21:51
I dive in So Cal around the Channel Islands and Palos Verdes peninsula so kelp is my favorite place. I found an old mask mounted light I used years ago, it was always getting tangled in the kelp as I enjoy either the holdfast or mid water areas.

dannybot
06-12-2010, 07:18
I put a light on my camera, thinking it would help for focusing. turns out it worked so well, I used it for the primary on two night dives, freeing up the hand that would otherwise be holding a dive light.

boates
06-12-2010, 18:30
I love my mask light!

When it's on. and I need to look at buddy, I just put my hand over the light, dousing it.

Just remember, cover the light if looking at someone.

Been in many currents with it, never had an issue of any ill affects, it's very small.

Hands free light while diving......."priceless"

I also have a light on camera tray. Back-up(3rd light) light in bc pocket.

mzbdiver
06-18-2010, 01:48
I personally have no problems with a wrist mount/ hand grip