PDA

View Full Version : Fl Keys and JellyFish?

FishFood
08-28-2007, 09:40
Hopefully the second week in october Ill be down there diving the keys. Around here it seems the later in the year you are, the more jellyfish you see. Ive dived all summer in the gulf with no problems, but my last dive for example nearly got me. All of a sudden they were just every where...

What should I expect at the Keys? Id rather swim in just a swimsuit, but If there are too many jellies I guess Ill get a skin suit.

NitroWill
08-28-2007, 10:00
I was just in Key Largo this weekend. I had about 4+ hours underwater time, none of which I wore a wetsuit. I saw maybe 5 large jellyfish and that was it. Will it be different later this year? Not sure..

I know on east florida coast large amounts of jellyfish have been present - so it wouldnt hurt to have a skin or 3mil just in case. Your dive op would also be able to let you know pre-dive what they have been witnessing as they are at same sites on a regular basis..

scubasavvy
08-29-2007, 12:25
Maybe a long sleeved rash guard and your bathing suit...I wouldn't worry too much about them...

Capt Hook
08-29-2007, 13:18
Dive the Keys a lot in the fall, never had a problem.

kevinj1
08-29-2007, 13:48
I would definetely take a long a 3mm for the boat ride. You never know what the changing current will bring in.

cgvmer
08-29-2007, 13:55
I dove last year in the Bahamas and brought a skin (essentially a full body rash gaurd), and I wish I had it in April when I dove FLL, one day there were alot of jellies at the surface near the boat.