PDA

View Full Version : New compact Intova 4.7

buddhasummer
08-30-2009, 05:50
Had a chance to see Intovas latest edition, a compact 4.7watt push button light, its pretty sweet, it runs on 3AAAs, waterproof to 400ft, I like the switch a lot, one press on, 2 presses 30% power and hold for a few seconds and it strobes, burn time is 5 hours. Its a cm or 2 shorter than the standard. They have smoothed out the hole where the lanyard fits no more sharp edges. Interested to see how the push button holds up. The lense looks to plastic, glass would have been nicer. It fits the oxycheq raider3/4 light sock too. Looks like a good small light.:smiley20:

CompuDude
08-30-2009, 13:48
Sounds quite interesting. Link/price?

DevilDiver
08-30-2009, 14:44
Sounds quite interesting. Link/price?

4.8 watt CREE LED lifetime bulb that puts out 130 Lumens
Intova Intova Nova Wide Angle Led - Intova Small Dive Lights (http://divebooty.com/item/10369/intova-intova_nova_wide_angle_led.html)
I believe this is the same light as the TUSA that sells for around $89.

3 watt LED, 65 Lumens
Intova Dive Torch - Intova Small Dive Lights (http://divebooty.com/item/8515/intova-dive_torch.html)

I saw one of the smaller 3w lights yesterday. Seemed like a nice little light, good build.

I liked the magnetic switch, my light has a twist on/off and sometimes it will come on around 20-30ft from the pressure so I am wasting batteries. I have it clipped to the right D-Ring and secured with a strip of tubing so I do not notice that it is on. I have a thing about not wanting to turn it too far off in case of a chance of flooding.

Any opinions about what is the best and most secure type of switch for lights?

CompuDude
08-30-2009, 20:53
DD, those two Intova's have been around for a while. Pretty good, although I've actually read complaints about the magnetic which being a little too easy to flip... similar problem, different mechanism. They both take cr123a batteries, not the AAA's described in the OP.

As for the best mechanism, I prefer the twist-on. If yours is the type that can be activated by pressure, try making a mark at the point at which the light turns off, so you can know how far it's safe to twist underwater by lining up the two lines. Once properly set, a twist switch will be more resistant to accidental activation.

FWIW, my Photon Torpedo will NOT turn on due to pressure. I don't know what mechanism they use, but it's a vast improvement over the one Halcyon and others use. I haven't had a problem with my OxyCheq Raider I rev 2, either.

DevilDiver
08-31-2009, 01:23
CD-
Thanks for the idea on the twist-on.

I could not find a Intova light that matched the description in the OP. They do make a Super Nova a press switch like the one described but no AA bateries and it really is not a small light.

Do you have the origional Photon or the LED?

CompuDude
08-31-2009, 02:01
CD-
Thanks for the idea on the twist-on.

I could not find a Intova light that matched the description in the OP. They do make a Super Nova a press switch like the one described but no AA bateries and it really is not a small light.

Do you have the origional Photon or the LED?

Both, but I only use the LED one these days. I want to upgrade my non-LED one to the new high-output LEDs at some point, just to see how it compares.

And agreed, I've never seen an Intova like that... and I tend to keep an eye on these sorts of things. ;) Thus my interest... sounds like a great light!

I finally broke down and ordered the Dorcy, though.

The quest for the "perfect" backup light continues...

Johncalloway
08-31-2009, 12:25
I have the first one, the 4.8. I love this light. It was brighter than my 6 c battery light. Mow it is the only one I carry. I promise you will be amazed with this light. You will never believe it until you see it. It has the perfect beam width in my opinion.

Vercingetorix
08-31-2009, 12:31
Same light as? Dorcy International (http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=410467)

DevilDiver
08-31-2009, 12:47
Same light as? Dorcy International (http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=410467)

No, different light.

I have the Dorcy and was comparing it to Recon's Intova 4.7 out at CSSP this weekend. The beam seemed pretty close on both lights but the Intova has a magnetic switch and the Dorcy is twist-on.

Recon
08-31-2009, 15:00
The light does take CR123s btw DD, could not remember until I popped it open on saturday night. Also, I took your advice and ditched the holster that it came with, went with a bolt snap and wreck line.

~Recon

CompuDude
08-31-2009, 18:16
So no one has heard of this "new" Intova except buddhasummer... Please let us know more!

JahJahwarrior
08-31-2009, 18:22
The "original" takes cr123's, this new one takes AAA's. I've got one of the new ones, and I like it! Only had it on a few dives, but it's nice. So new, it's not on their website. I got mine at Dayo Scuba in the Orlando area.

CompuDude
08-31-2009, 18:51
The "original" takes cr123's, this new one takes AAA's. I've got one of the new ones, and I like it! Only had it on a few dives, but it's nice. So new, it's not on their website. I got mine at Dayo Scuba in the Orlando area.

Dang it, sounds ideal! Someone needs to dig up a link post-haste! :smiley20:

(sure, I'm lazy)

DMWiz
08-31-2009, 20:38

Dang it, sounds ideal! Someone needs to dig up a link post-haste! :smiley20:

(sure, I'm lazy)

Could it be this one (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/626608-REG/Intova_ICOM_Compact_Torch.html)?

I have the 4.8 watt light and this looks similar but does not have the magnetic switch and appears to be shorter and there's no strobe mode on the 4.8w. What throws me off is the "What's in the box" in the lower right of the web page claims it's 2 CR123A
while the description of the light itself claims 3 AA
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/626608.jpg ([URL="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/626608-REG/Intova_ICOM_Compact_Torch.html)

DevilDiver
08-31-2009, 21:57
Must be it........ Wow, nice price also.

DMwiz-
So what's the verdict? How do you like? How bright?

JahJahwarrior
08-31-2009, 22:44
The body of mine looks slightly different, but idk. I don't know if Dayo has it on their website but I'm sure you could call or email and ask them about it, I guess they have a good relationship with the Intova rep to get them so soon. All I know is, I love it as a backup light for cave diving.

DevilDiver
09-01-2009, 00:10
Did a search for "Intova Compact Torch" like it was labeled on the BH site and found this

Intova (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Intova/71552128261?ref=mf) Coming out this month! Intova Compact Torch. Similar in beam output to the Nova IFL 660, the compact torch is powered by 3 AAA batteries and features a new tail switch design.

I went ahead and purchased this light from B&H so it should show up in about 5 days. We will see how it preforms, I will do a side by side with the Dorcy.

buddhasummer
09-01-2009, 04:30
DD, those two Intova's have been around for a while. Pretty good, although I've actually read complaints about the magnetic which being a little too easy to flip... similar problem, different mechanism. They both take cr123a batteries, not the AAA's described in the OP.

As for the best mechanism, I prefer the twist-on. If yours is the type that can be activated by pressure, try making a mark at the point at which the light turns off, so you can know how far it's safe to twist underwater by lining up the two lines. Once properly set, a twist switch will be more resistant to accidental activation.

FWIW, my Photon Torpedo will NOT turn on due to pressure. I don't know what mechanism they use, but it's a vast improvement over the one Halcyon and others use. I haven't had a problem with my OxyCheq Raider I rev 2, either.

for the other posters: It is NOT the standard currently on sale intovas or the wide, which I own, my description is complete and correct, I have had it in my hand disassembled, played with etc etc .:smiley20:

Compudude sorry cant provide a link as it was in my LDS here in NZ not a web site, its priced here at $120NZD so Im guessing thats about $75USD. Havent yet seen them on intovas web site no idea why that is. Does look nice tho.

You could try Global Dive - scuba diving training and travel - Auckland, New Zealand (http://www.globaldive.net) it may be up on their website, I havent checked.

DMWiz
09-01-2009, 08:02
Must be it........ Wow, nice price also.

DMwiz-
So what's the verdict? How do you like? How bright?

I have the 4.8w and the older 4.7w not the new compact torch. I have not been disappointed with either of the models I have for the warm clear water diving that I do it's plenty of light. The wide is too wide for daylight IMO and the narrow is too weak for daylight. The Dorcy light is brighter and does much better in daylight diving.

All these lights are very well built and attractive specially at this price point.

CompuDude
09-01-2009, 22:37
Well, it it turns out to be the $38 on the B&H website, I expect I'll be ordering one quite soon. A nice compact little light like that would be PERFECT for my wife, since the Photon Torpedos I use are a bit too big for her to comfortably wear.

Although I would like to confirm battery type, since buddhasummer says AAA, the B&H website says both AA and cr123! :smiley29:

I'm thinking AAA based on this link (and the OP): New Intova Compact Waterproof Torch Scuba Underwater !! - eBay (item 350239458581 end time Aug-31-09 14:28:57 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Intova-Compact-Waterproof-Torch-Scuba-Underwater-!!_W0QQitemZ350239458581QQcmdZViewItem)

DevilDiver
09-01-2009, 22:59
I paid $37.95 from B&H plus shipping ($5 for express mail), I will post a review when it shows.

CompuDude
09-01-2009, 23:37
I paid $37.95 from B&H plus shipping ($5 for express mail), I will post a review when it shows.

:smiley20:

:smilie40:

buddhasummer
09-02-2009, 02:58
Well, it it turns out to be the $38 on the B&H website, I expect I'll be ordering one quite soon. A nice compact little light like that would be PERFECT for my wife, since the Photon Torpedos I use are a bit too big for her to comfortably wear.

Although I would like to confirm battery type, since buddhasummer says AAA, the B&H website says both AA and cr123! :smiley29:

I'm thinking AAA based on this link (and the OP): New Intova Compact Waterproof Torch Scuba Underwater !! - eBay (item 350239458581 end time Aug-31-09 14:28:57 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Intova-Compact-Waterproof-Torch-Scuba-Underwater-%21%21_W0QQitemZ350239458581QQcmdZViewItem)

The one I had in my hand, had a battery cannister/magazine inside that held/had 3AAAs.

At the price others have posted assuming its the same light just another example of how we are raped over here on dive gear prices.

oddbod
09-02-2009, 03:47
Hi Buddhasummer,
Don,t feel too bad I just looked up cheapest postage to Oz US$41.25:smiley21:
Light US$37.95
Total US$79.20
You can do the conversion:smiley13:, of course if you buy than 1 the shipping gets cheaper.

buddhasummer
09-02-2009, 04:37
Hi Buddhasummer,
Light US$37.95
Total US$79.20
You can do the conversion:smiley13:, of course if you buy than 1 the shipping gets cheaper.

Yeah it kinda sucks eh, usually I wait until I need to make a bigger order which sometimes makes the freight easier to swallow. I just bought an Apeks reg set and even with the freight costs from spain and getting stung here by customs for 12.5% GST, it was still almost $900 cheaper than if I bought the set here.:smiley13:

Some places in the US will send USPS Priority mail which is way cheaper than the standard courier fee, Dive Gear Express will do this as will ST.

Using USPS the freight on the light should have been around $21USD. (I order quite a lot of stuff from the US)

CompuDude
09-02-2009, 17:16
Hi Buddhasummer,
Light US$37.95
Total US$79.20

Yeah it kinda sucks eh, usually I wait until I need to make a bigger order which sometimes makes the freight easier to swallow. I just bought an Apeks reg set and even with the freight costs from spain and getting stung here by customs for 12.5% GST, it was still almost $900 cheaper than if I bought the set here.:smiley13:

Some places in the US will send USPS Priority mail which is way cheaper than the standard courier fee, Dive Gear Express will do this as will ST.

Using USPS the freight on the light should have been around $21USD. (I order quite a lot of stuff from the US)

Fly here and visit more often, using the money you would have spent on shipping, and buy it in person. Just sayin'. :smiley2:

buddhasummer
09-03-2009, 04:11
Hi Buddhasummer,
Light US$37.95
Total US$79.20

Fly here and visit more often, using the money you would have spent on shipping, and buy it in person. Just sayin'. :smiley2:

Sounds like a plan stan... only ever been to US airports next time Im passing through Ill stop off for a bit:smiley20:

DevilDiver
09-04-2009, 14:19
Q: Well guess what showed up today?

A: My new Intova compact torch!

I stuck three AAA batteries in it right out of the box and BAM! One push of the easy to use large button on the back end and bright light with a bright center and a nice halo. A second push and a center spot and halo at 30% power. Push and hold and a fast strobing light.

I really like the button on the back of this light, with previous lights with twist on heads I have had times where the lights have come on during the dive from the pressure, no more worries of this. The button is large and is recessed in the butt of the light so no accidental pressing of the button and there should be plenty of room for easy access even with thick gloves. I like the idea of being able to unclasp and activate the light one handed also.

Next I go to retrieve my Dorcy torch to see how it stacks up. I can tell right now the Intova actually has a brighter center with what appears to be the same size halo. I expected the Dorcy to be brighter but it is not the case.

The Intova is about an inch shorter and a slightly smaller diameter than the Dorcy and fits in the hand really well. I have been very happy with the Dorcy light but I can tell right now the Intova will be going on the dives from now on.

I will try to get some photos up showing the beams as soon as I can.

CompuDude
09-04-2009, 16:21
Q: Well guess what showed up today?

A: My new Intova compact torch!

I stuck three AAA batteries in it right out of the box and BAM! One push of the easy to use large button on the back end and bright light with a bright center and a nice halo. A second push and a center spot and halo at 30% power. Push and hold and a fast strobing light.

I really like the button on the back of this light, with previous lights with twist on heads I have had times where the lights have come on during the dive from the pressure, no more worries of this. The button is large and is recessed in the butt of the light so no accidental pressing of the button and there should be plenty of room for easy access even with thick gloves. I like the idea of being able to unclasp and activate the light one handed also.

Next I go to retrieve my Dorcy torch to see how it stacks up. I can tell right now the Intova actually has a brighter center with what appears to be the same size halo. I expected the Dorcy to be brighter but it is not the case.

The Intova is about an inch shorter and a slightly smaller diameter than the Dorcy and fits in the hand really well. I have been very happy with the Dorcy light but I can tell right now the Intova will be going on the dives from now on.

I will try to get some photos up showing the beams as soon as I can.

Cool! Figures, my Dorcy finally just arrived last night, and I fired it up for the first time. Quite nice, although dang that thing is slippery. Definitely needs a friction band. And now it has competition already?

I'd love to see some shots of the push button mechanism on the compact Intova. Also, how do you attach a bolt snap if the button is on the back?

DevilDiver
09-04-2009, 18:59
I am putting a full charge on both sets of batteries before taking the pics. Most likley tomorrow before I get to post. (it's Friday night)

The button is recessed into the back end, there is a hole in the lip around the button for line and a clip, just like the Dorsy.

The Dorsy is a good light and I have had no problems with it.........

DevilDiver
09-04-2009, 22:45
Well... Here you go. I have to say that I am shocked, I really expected the Dorcy would be the brighter light at 180 lmn output vs. the Intova at 130 lmn.
All photos were taken from the exact same distance (approx 7ft) with the same camera setting.

First photo: Dorcy
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2663/3888149281_f014978fcb.jpg

Second Photo: Intova @ full power
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2451/3888155689_4d8922c3ee.jpg

Third Photo: Intova @ 30% power
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3427/3888152569_a8801f8851.jpg

Fourth Photo: Intova on/off button
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2673/3888146379_3644c02d38.jpg

With 3 AAA batteries (Intova) vs 6 AAA batteries (Dorcy) the Intova is lighter, smaller (3.75 L x 0.5 W vs 6.5 L X 1.5 W) and a lot more powerful, even at 30% output. Both lights claim an 8hr burn time.

In case it was missed the Dorcy has a twist on/off and the Intova has a button located in the base with three settings 1) 100% 2) 30% 3) Strobe.

Cost:
Dorcy- $49
Intova- $38

CD- As you can see from the above photo, the Intova has a hole in the lip around the button for the attachment of the bolt snap.

CompuDude
09-04-2009, 23:04
Well... Here you go. I have to say that I am shocked, I really expected the Dorcy would be the brighter light at 180 lmn output vs. the Intova at 130 lmn.
All photos were taken from the exact same distance (approx 7ft) with the same camera setting.
<snip>

With 3 AAA batteries (Intova) vs 6 AAA batteries (Dorcy) the Intova is lighter, smaller (3.75 L x 0.5 W vs 6.5 L X 1.5 W) and a lot more powerful, even at 30% output. Both lights claim an 8hr burn time.

In case it was missed the Dorcy has a twist on/off and the Intova has a button located in the base with three settings 1) 100% 2) 30% 3) Strobe.

Cost:
Dorcy- $49
Intova- $38

CD- As you can see from the above photo, the Intova has a hole in the lip around the button for the attachment of the bolt snap.

Well dang. That's darned interesting. (At least I only paid $40 for my Dorcy)

I wish I knew more about that button, and the long term reliability. But I may just have to pick one up. Great, just what I need, ANOTHER flashlight. LOL

At this rate I'm going to have to sell off one of my Photon Torpedos.

CompuDude
09-06-2009, 00:13
I'm thinking more and more that I'm going to get one, if not two, of these new Intova's, I guess from B&H.

xref reason: http://forum.scubatoys.com/lights/17936-new-dorcy-dive-light-31.html#post330252

Recon
09-06-2009, 00:39
I am a little disapointed that I got the older style one when I got mine a few weeks ago from ST. The darn c123s are FAR more expensive then standard AAAs.... :(

DevilDiver
09-06-2009, 02:17
I'm thinking more and more that I'm going to get one, if not two, of these new Intova's, I guess from B&H.

xref reason: http://forum.scubatoys.com/lights/17936-new-dorcy-dive-light-31.html#post330252

Wow, now thats a freaky story. I will have to believe the flying battery story because you can't make that kind of stuff up. :smiley36:

I have never had my Dorcy flood but I have flooded two twist on lights before and know where your comming from. This was one one of the selling points of the Intova for me.

I found out tonight that ST carries Intova products and should have these lights soon. (A pm or call would push this forward)

DevilDiver
09-06-2009, 02:22
I am a little disapointed that I got the older style one when I got mine a few weeks ago from ST. The darn c123s are FAR more expensive then standard AAAs.... :(

I know, next time out at the lake you can check it out. I do not know how the older model compares but we can side by side them.

Shout out when you are back in town..... How's that sand looking?

Recon
09-06-2009, 02:26
Looks like I need to get Another Intova light :) just use the new one for a backup and the other one, .... for a back up back up, and get a can light :), well make a can light probably.

~Recon

CompuDude
09-08-2009, 13:06
FWIW, B&H is out of stock on these new lights. Bummer.

However, Adorama seems to carry them: ICOM Intova Compact Tourch 4.7 Watt, 130 Lumens, CREE L.E.D., Waterproof (to 400') (http://www.adorama.com/UWICOM.html)

It's about $2 more, but I can live with that. EDIT: ARGH! They're backordered as well. I'll have to do some more digging...

I saw someone this weekend with TWO of these lights on their harness, so I was able to see them in person (topside, at least), and she even switched them on briefly to show the various light functions to me. (100%, 30#, off, strobe) Very slick, although I still am annoyed by the side-mount holes for the bolt snap. I can live with that, however, since that appears to be pretty much the only downside.

NOTE: There IS one downside I just discovered. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

The long burn time cited for these is apparently at the 30% power level, NOT the 100% power level.

See this thread on SB for details: Newest Intova-Compact, push button - ScubaBoard (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lights/297825-newest-intova-compact-push-button.html)

I didn't get a chance to take pictures, but I did do a battery test since burn time seems to be what people cared about most.

Total time was right at 2.5 hours.

It's a little hard to know what the usable time was. The discharge curve for a AAA is very different than the CR123. With the Nova Wide, you get fairly constant output until it falls off a cliff at the end.

With the AAA the output was very good through about 1 1/2 hours. Between 1 1/2 and 2 hours I started to see a noticeable decrease in the output, but I would still consider it usable.

At 2 hours, I would say the hot spot was about the same as the brightness of the Nova Wide. Because of the smaller beam, the total light was less.

Between 2 and 2 1/2 hours the output dropped more much more quickly. I would not have wanted to use the light much past the 2 hour point.

For me, this is all the performance I need for a pocket light. This is a replacement for 4AA and 6AA halogen lights, and that was all the time I was getting from them.

I'll get pictures of the beam compared to the Nova Wide when I get back next weeks trip.

Still 1.5 hours of excellent light and at least 2.5 hrs of usable light seems totally sufficient for OW dives within the NDLs, and even "light" overhead use, at least, alongside my trusty Photo Torpedo. I don't think I would consider it sufficient for actual cave diving or serious wreck penetration, however, and would swap in a different light for those dives... perhaps the Dorcy.

DevilDiver
09-08-2009, 14:33
:detective: Interesting.......

Tell you what, I will run a burn test tonight to see how long you get usable light. I plan the first test @ 100% and I will do 30% tomorrow night.

By the way ST can order this light, they are an authorized dealer for Intova.

CompuDude
09-08-2009, 14:39
:detective: Interesting.......

Tell you what, I will run a burn test tonight to see how long you get usable light. I plan the first test @ 100% and I will do 30% tomorrow night.

By the way ST can order this light, they are an authorized dealer for Intova.

Oh, I forgot about that. Considering Adorama back-ordered my light, I may just cancel that and place the order through ST. I'll give them a call. :smiley20:

What batteries are you going to use for your burn test? (please say Eneloops)

DevilDiver
09-08-2009, 16:23
:smiley19: Sorry....No Eneloops. I have not used these yet, I plan to purchase some the next time I need rechargeable and have heard they last a lot longer than normal rechargeables. Have you used them?

I will be using Energizer AAA 850 mAh 1.2v :smilie40:

CompuDude
09-08-2009, 16:35
:smiley19: Sorry....No Eneloops. I have not used these yet, I plan to purchase some the next time I need rechargeable and have heard they last a lot longer than normal rechargeables. Have you used them?

I will be using Energizer AAA 850 mAh 1.2v :smilie40:

They should last about the same duration, as AAA Eneloops are also 850 mah, I believe. That spec is the most important in determining longevity, although discharge rates and power draw also come into play in the final outcome so it's not a certain thing.

Low Self Discharge AAAs tend to be rated at 750-850 mah, while regular NiMH (non-low self-discharge) are around 1000 mah, if I recall correctly. So they'll last longer (generally), than Eneloops or your Energizers.

Btw, I called, and ScubaToys CANNOT order the new Intova's. Apparently all of their Intova's come via DiveRite (oddly), who does not yet carry this new light.

DevilDiver
09-08-2009, 22:50
Well, it burned for three hours at 100% with a little dimming (not that I used any high tech equipment) but I could still tell between 100 & 30%. I decided to stop at this point just because I am happy with this.

Sorry I did not feel more like Mr. Wizzard tonight, it's been a long week and it is just starting. Maybe I need a quick trip to Cozumel to do a real test on this light? (Can I write this off as business?)

CompuDude
09-09-2009, 18:26
Well, it burned for three hours at 100% with a little dimming (not that I used any high tech equipment) but I could still tell between 100 & 30%. I decided to stop at this point just because I am happy with this.

Sorry I did not feel more like Mr. Wizzard tonight, it's been a long week and it is just starting. Maybe I need a quick trip to Cozumel to do a real test on this light? (Can I write this off as business?)

Sounds good to me. Now I just have to find a store that has them in stock. :(

IndyDiver
09-09-2009, 21:16
Sounds good to me. Now I just have to find a store that has them in stock. :(

They were all over the place last week, including EBay. Now they are nowhere to be had. Looks like they sent out an initial shipment of a new product that got a little too popular for its own good.

Well, I guess I will just stick with my Dorsys until they re-appear online and I then I'll try one.

Of course, if you find a source and post it here, that would be good too...

:smiley20:

zoey
09-09-2009, 22:28
Here you go my friend:

New Intova Compact Waterproof Torch Scuba Underwater: 855712000103 Kitedist Kiteboarding Products (http://www.kitedist.com/Items/855712000103?&caSKU=855712000103&caTitle=New%20Intova%20Compact%20Waterproof%20Torc h%20Scuba%20Underwater)

IndyDiver
09-09-2009, 23:19
Here you go my friend:

New Intova Compact Waterproof Torch Scuba Underwater: 855712000103 Kitedist Kiteboarding Products (http://www.kitedist.com/Items/855712000103?&caSKU=855712000103&caTitle=New%20Intova%20Compact%20Waterproof%20Torc h%20Scuba%20Underwater)

Thanks. It is $7 more than BHPhoto, but there is always a cost to instant gratification.

CompuDude
09-10-2009, 14:53
Here you go my friend:

Nice catch. :smiley20: Tough call on the price... I'm ok with paying $2-3 more on a small item like this, but at $45, I think I'll wait for B&H to get them back in stock.

CompuDude
09-22-2009, 10:34
For those still interested in trying out this light, B&H has the Intova Compact Torches back in stock, and the same original price ($37.95).

Intova | Compact Torch | ICOM | B&H Photo Video (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/626608-REG/Intova_ICOM_Compact_Torch.html)

Order placed! :smiley20:

zoey
09-28-2009, 23:30
I had the chance to check out the older Intova while diving in Belize. It produces a very bright "white" light, which is in a perfectly round pattern (no concentric rings of light in different intensities).

Construction appeared to be solid as did the finish. The beam width seemed to be a bit too narrow for my liking. I liked the compact size. I didn't like the switch on the body, which was too easy to turn on/off. The tail switch on the newer light should be better.

Overall, it was a good light. It just needed some refinements, which I hope the newer torch has accomplished.

CompuDude
09-29-2009, 01:31
It's not as bright as a 10w HID, but it's close enough to be impressive.

http://h2ogeek.com/misc/LightTest_IMG_2262%20(Medium).JPG

(ignore the Raider I on the left, it needed new batteries)

DevilDiver
09-29-2009, 07:02
How do you like so far? Size, grip, switch, location to tie bolt snap......

ScubaCaveman
09-29-2009, 08:10
I just went ahead and ordered one.....

CompuDude
09-30-2009, 00:07
How do you like so far? Size, grip, switch, location to tie bolt snap......

Size is TINY. Compared to the 3-C Photon Torpedo, and even compared to the smaller Raider I (the body is much thinner, plus it doesn't have that huge flare on the light head). It seriously disappears on the harness. On the other hand, I'm actually going to have to add a new rubber band to my harness, because the one I used on the bigger lights is just stretched out enough that it doesn't hold it exceptionally well ... it actually slipped off at one point! Feels good in the hand, no worries there.

I don't like the attachment point. It took some SERIOUS effort and scheming to get my usual 3 loops of cave line (#24) through the hole. And I'm still not a big fan of the offset mounting point. And a point of interest, the bolt snap actually managed to push the switch and turn the light on once! (This was on the bench, though, not in the water)

All of these are pretty minor nits, however... overall I really like the light, and will probably pick up another for my wife, if nothing else. I'll still be carrying my PT as my "deep doo-doo" backup, especially on any serious dive. For a standard backup in OW NDL dives, no problemo. I want to see how the back-mounted switch performs over time (and neglect). My PT needs ZERO care, other than occasional battery swaps to keep things fresh. I don't know if aluminum construction plus a switch with exposed moving parts is going to be as reliable, given that I dive salt water, I tend to not bother cleaning my harness/plate (with attached lights), and I shore dive a lot so my gear is frequently sandy.

Dorcy FINALLY shipped my replacement light (today!?!?!) after having the dead one for weeks now, so I look forward to comparing the lights underwater once it finally shows up (shipped ground from Ohio to LA after all that time, grr).

zoey
09-30-2009, 22:38
So, I started wondering if this new light is the narrow beam or the wide beam? Or, is it a completely different beam all together?

I didn't even think about this until I was playing with one of the "older" side-switch style lights at a dive shop yesterday. I turned it on and immediately noticed that the beam was significantly smaller/not as nice as the torch I played with in Belize. From this I concluded that the torch in Belize must have been the wide beam.

CompuDude
09-30-2009, 23:19
So, I started wondering if this new light is the narrow beam or the wide beam? Or, is it a completely different beam all together?

I didn't even think about this until I was playing with one of the "older" side-switch style lights at a dive shop yesterday. I turned it on and immediately noticed that the beam was significantly smaller/not as nice as the torch I played with in Belize. From this I concluded that the torch in Belize must have been the wide beam.

Narrow, I believe ... much better for signalling, especially in cold water with lousy vis.

The previous gen lights (cr123a batteries) came in two varieties, wide and narrow. I haven't seen any options for the new light.

ScubaCaveman
10-02-2009, 06:53
I just got mine yesterday from B&H. I can't wait to give it a try.

b1gcountry
10-02-2009, 21:17
Looks like B&H is out of stock again...
Intova | Compact Torch | ICOM | B&H Photo Video (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/626608-REG/Intova_ICOM_Compact_Torch.html#specifications)

b1gcountry
10-02-2009, 21:30
And Adorama is closed for the big Sukkot holiday until Oct 12.

Yeah, I had to look it up too...
Sukkot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukkot)

IndyDiver
10-02-2009, 22:58
And Adorama is closed for the big Sukkot holiday until Oct 12.

Yeah, I had to look it up too...
Sukkot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukkot)

Even if they were open, it wouldn't matter. They are out of them too.

USF_Diver
10-04-2009, 20:24
Sounds like a sweet light, I have the older Intova wide beam light I liked it more than my Dorcy and when the Dorcy broke on me I needed to get a new light, looks like this light is the way to go. Intova builds solid products something I can't say from my experience with Dorcy.

zoey
10-04-2009, 20:41
Read the front of the packaging closely. I think this might be the answer to our question regarding beam width.

Recon
10-05-2009, 08:42
I've gotta get me a AAA model, and only use the CR123 model around the house for normal BS... sooo much cheaper.... so the question now is... where do we get one the cheapest, as ST does not have them :( I just checked on Friday.

~Recon

IndyDiver
10-05-2009, 09:23
I've gotta get me a AAA model, and only use the CR123 model around the house for normal BS... sooo much cheaper.... so the question now is... where do we get one the cheapest, as ST does not have them :( I just checked on Friday.

~Recon

There were some on ebay for $39 as of Saturday. Everyone else seems to be out of stock at the moment.

CompuDude
10-05-2009, 13:15

~Recon

Just sign up for notification from B&H. They'll email you when they're available again. Then jump on it when you get the notice, because they're not lasting long. Intova seems to have found a winner, because they're selling them faster than they can make them.

USF_Diver
10-20-2009, 11:38
B&H is still out of stock, I ordered mine on amazon for 39 with shipping was 43.00

Hope to get later this week can't wait to try it out.

USF_Diver
10-21-2009, 17:17
Light came in, is much brighter than the 130 lumen wide angle intova I have.
If that light is 130 lumens like they say, then the new intova is very underrated and is more like 200 lumens.

Can't wait to dive with it.

cbope
10-22-2009, 00:16
B&H list them in stock right now. I just got the Dorcy earlier this year which is a great little light, may need to order one of these as a companion. Hmmm...

buddhasummer
10-22-2009, 02:39
If that light is 130 lumens like they say, then the new intova is very underrated and is more like 200 lumens.

I think you will find that the difference is due to the beam angle and not the lumen value. the wide is around 42 degrees and the narrow "concentrated" I would guess less than 10.

USF_Diver
10-22-2009, 11:33

I think you will find that the difference is due to the beam angle and not the lumen value. the wide is around 42 degrees and the narrow "concentrated" I would guess less than 10.

What is nice about the new Intova is that area outside of the concentrated circle is almost as bright as the wide angle intova.

CompuDude
10-22-2009, 13:36

What is nice about the new Intova is that area outside of the concentrated circle is almost as bright as the wide angle intova.

I agree, it's a almost a hybrid wide/narrow. While the majority of the light is concentrated at the hot spot, there is a wide corona of fairly usable light, as well.

zoey
11-10-2009, 22:55
I received 2 Intova's from B&W last week and had the chance to use one of them last Sunday.

Prior to that, I did a little side-by-side comparison between the "old" model and new. The first thing I noticed was that the former uses a casing that is much thicker walled. It also has multiple lanyard holes. The new only has one.

I removed the OEM lanyard and opted for one more suitable for tech. Unfortunately, the drilled hole for attachment is extremely small. I ended up using a 3mm bungee as that was the only thing I had on hand that was small enough to get through the hole. Replacing the OEM lanyard, after cutting it, is virtually, if not impossible.

I had some issues with accidentally turning the light on while diving. One bump of the tail switch is all it takes.

The batteries are held in place by a fairly flimsy mount. I question if this will be problematic at some point; especially if batteries are changed in colder climates.

The lens is made of plastic.

The light it produces, especially considering that it uses 3 AAA batteries, is quite impressive. I was using the light in about 12.5 meters of water, which was pitch black and crap viz due to a ton of silt. It provided exceptional lighting.

I question how the tail switch is sealed, and wonder how to maintain this. I'll have to tear one of them apart to investigate.

Grip and size is comparable to the previous model.

Summary:
I can definitely see some of the areas in which they have cut costs in producing this light. It remains to be seen if this will ultimately create problems down the road. None the less, for the cost, it does a great job. I appreciate the strobe effect as this might be used as an exit point marker, or as an emergency signal to either a buddy or a boat crew. I consider this to be an acceptable backup, and in some instances, could be used as a "light" primary. However, I have reservations in regards to use as a primary.

In comparison to my Princeton Tec 40 & Oxycheq 3 Watt Raider:

Hands down, it mops up the Princeton (purchased when I first started diving), which in retrospect was a poor purchase on my part. Basically, there's no comparison. The LED light on my key chain produces better light than the Princeton.

The Intova is significantly smaller than the Raider, and I believe it puts out a much better light beam. I like the tail switch on the Intova as opposed to the twist-turn-on of the Raider, but both have drawbacks. Grip on the Intova is much better than the Raider. Thus far, the finish is better on the Intova. After a single dive, my Raiders are showing significant paint chipping. both lights use a dual o-ring seal.

In comparison, I greatly prefer the lanyard attachment on the Raider (larger hole, and centered). The Raider is built more solid, and of a thicker material. It's almost a toss up, but due to the quality of light beam, grip, and smaller stature, I lean slightly towards the Intova.

scubachris
11-20-2009, 08:32
sorry to hijack this thread but i just got mine from b&h too..and it turns out that the on/off button doesnt work! correct me if im wrong: unscrew the tail end,take out the plastic tube,load 3 AAA batteries,put back the tube and screw back the tail end and push the on/off button and it should light up right?

CompuDude
11-20-2009, 13:01
sorry to hijack this thread but i just got mine from b&h too..and it turns out that the on/off button doesnt work! correct me if im wrong: unscrew the tail end,take out the plastic tube,load 3 AAA batteries,put back the tube and screw back the tail end and push the on/off button and it should light up right?

Make sure you have the battery holder pointed the correct direction, but yeah. Once it's loaded up and all is screwed together, push the button, release, and it should be On. Push again, 20% power mode. Push again, Off.

Push and hold 5 seconds for emergency strobe mode.

scubachris
11-20-2009, 20:37
Make sure you have the battery holder pointed the correct direction

sorry CompuDude just a silly question to confirm..the right position of the battery holder is the spring facing inwards right? and does the on/off button "click/lock" in place for every push? it doesnt right?

CompuDude
11-20-2009, 21:04
Make sure you have the battery holder pointed the correct direction

sorry CompuDude just a silly question to confirm..the right position of the battery holder is the spring facing inwards right? and does the on/off button "click/lock" in place for every push? it doesnt right?

It's not spring on spring, so yes, the battery module's spring points to the front, and the spring in the back cap also points to the front.

Push it in until it stops, and the light turns on as you release it to allow it to come back out to the starting point. It doesn't stay "in". Repeat for lower power, repeat for off. Visually, there's no difference in the switch itself in any of the power modes.

DiveGrenada
12-24-2009, 07:58
Wow, I just picked up a new Intova and I have not had any of the problems you all are talking about, but then again I did get the one with the slide, not the push button.
if you get it working though it is a great light, beats the hell out of my UK eLED!!!!!

CompuDude
12-24-2009, 12:16
Wow, I just picked up a new Intova and I have not had any of the problems you all are talking about, but then again I did get the one with the slide, not the push button.
if you get it working though it is a great light, beats the hell out of my UK eLED!!!!!

That's not the Intova Compact Torch, then, it's the one of the other models, which use cr123 batteries.

But yes, they're great lights!

mrmccoy
12-28-2009, 21:32
I just found this light on ebay......New Intova Compact Waterproof Torch Scuba Underwater !! - eBay (item 370311099482 end time Jan-23-10 09:55:34 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Intova-Compact-Waterproof-Torch-Scuba-Underwater_W0QQitemZ370311099482QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item563842f45a)
I have not had any dealings with these people but I am going to give them a try. It looks like most of the negitive feedback was from people buying junk......a $4 lent remover.
Just thought I would let you folks know!

DevilDiver
12-28-2009, 23:23
That is about the normal price. I purchased mine from B&H Photo:
Intova | Compact Torch | ICOM | B&H Photo Video (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/626608-REG/Intova_ICOM_Compact_Torch.html)

I would purchase from a store front before buying anything from Ebay especially if there are questionable reviews of the seller.

mrmccoy
12-29-2009, 22:53
I would have picked one up from there but they did not have them in stock 2 days ago when I checked. I have had pretty good luck on ebay so far....you just have to watch.

CompuDude
12-30-2009, 18:45
I just picked up two more from B&H as Christmas gifts. Definitely the way to go!

mrmccoy
12-31-2009, 00:17
after I get this one if I like it I will probly pick up another

mrmccoy
01-02-2010, 14:40
Well I received the light in two days in working order. That little light is bright! I decided to get this one over the dorcy because I have two dorcy "land" lights and they both flicker from time to time. one is 160 lumans and the intova light is still brighter and they have about the same beam patterns.

USF_Diver
02-07-2010, 10:14
Mine broke after only one dive water came in from the rear oring.

Check the rear oring, the factory one might be garbage.

scubamike
02-08-2010, 10:31
Interesting. Will buy one to see if I like it. B&H is only 10 minutes subway ride.

I have so many lights now won't be able to decide which one to bring.

Is this light brighter than the OMS VEGA K2 Headlamp?

Panmanmatt
02-14-2010, 18:13
I just ordered a couple of these today from B&H, should be here on Wednesday. Hopefully my experiences are as good as everyone else has had.

jamoore
03-17-2010, 11:34
Just wanted to chime in. After reading the mostly favorable posts I decided to order one of these from B&H. When I got it, it only had strobe mode. Couldn't get it to steady burn at 100% or the 30% level. Sent it back the next day, waiting on the replacement. Hopefully the first one was an isolated problem. Side note, B&H was great to deal with. Joey

greylion
03-21-2010, 10:20
http://www.seasoftscuba.com/products.php?productid=FLA

I saw a couple of divers with the pocket retractor and this light, nice but not cheap.

jamoore
03-23-2010, 11:22
Got my second light from B&H. First one wouldn't do anything but strobe. Second one won't strobe. Does 100% and 30% but no strobe. Boxing it up to ship back. Maybe 3rd time is a charm. Doesn't speak well for this company, Intova.:smiley21:

azdiver
03-27-2010, 22:02
Interesting coming across this thread. One of the lds' near me has them in stock and I was just looking at the wide angle and the compact lights this afternoon.

If anyone is interested they sell online: Saguaro Diving & Sports - Home (http://www.saguarosports.com/) I think that they're online shopping isn't the best to navigate through and doesn't list a lot of the stuff they have but am pretty sure they have a toll free number.

BTW: I do business with several dive shops in my area depending on what I am looking for and the deals I can get and have no connections with any of them other than being friends with the people working in them.

zoey
04-02-2010, 10:46
I have 2 of the narrow beam lights, and like them a lot. The only issue I've had is that the rear cap is a two piece design. The first "cap" retains the on/off switch, and screws down to the battery cap portion.

When removing the battery cap, the on/off switch portion unscrews, but the battery cap stays in place, which makes it nearly impossible to remove. I also noticed that the on/off switch spring had become heavily corroded rather quickly (mostly salt water diving), despite adequate soaking after dives.

azdiver
04-02-2010, 10:59
I have 2 of the narrow beam lights, and like them a lot. The only issue I've had is that the rear cap is a two piece design. The first "cap" retains the on/off switch, and screws down to the battery cap portion.

When removing the battery cap, the on/off switch portion unscrews, but the battery cap stays in place, which makes it nearly impossible to remove. I also noticed that the on/off switch spring had become heavily corroded rather quickly (mostly salt water diving), despite adequate soaking after dives.

Hmmm.... guess I will go back to the store and take it apart and look at it before deciding if I want to buy it. I'm really looking for another small light to keep clipped to my harness for looking into crevices and under ledges. The one I have is 20 years old and thought it was time for me to treat myself to a new one :smilie39:

CompuDude
04-03-2010, 23:52

Are you referring to the Intova Compact (which is what this thread is about) or one of the Intova Nova (cr123 batteries) lights? I've never seen the back cap being a two-piece design on my Intova Compact and I disassembled the thing a number of times. both changing batteries and for when I was photographing it. The back piece has certainly never come apart in two piece on mine.

http://www.h2ogeek.com/divegear/BackupLights/IntovaCompact/05-IMG_2064%20(Large).JPG

zoey
04-05-2010, 21:56
Intova Compact. The same one as your photo. Runs on AAA batteries. I tried unscrewing it for a photo, but I cranked it on too tightly (with LocTite blue) to take it apart without using a vice.

As I recall, it unscrews (looking at your photo) just to the left of the knurling of the end cap.

CompuDude
04-06-2010, 14:09
Intova Compact. The same one as your photo. Runs on AAA batteries. I tried unscrewing it for a photo, but I cranked it on too tightly (with LocTite blue) to take it apart without using a vice.

As I recall, it unscrews (looking at your photo) just to the left of the knurling of the end cap.

Interesting, next time I think about it I'll have to try to take that apart, just to see. I've never heard of this issue from anyone else with these lights, and it's never happened with either of mine.

jamoore
04-15-2010, 12:31
Finally got one that works right. Really like this little thing. Anybody know what glove would work or where to get it. I have never used a glove mount but like the idea of it. The one by Big Blue looks pretty good to me but I don't know if this light would fit well in it. Thanks, Joey

DevilDiver
04-15-2010, 14:04
Finally got one that works right. Really like this little thing. Anybody know what glove would work or where to get it. I have never used a glove mount but like the idea of it. The one by Big Blue looks pretty good to me but I don't know if this light would fit well in it. Thanks, Joey

Scuba Toys has the oxy light sock but I don't believe it's on the website. Call or PM......

I have one and like it a lot. :smiley20:

Recon
04-15-2010, 19:25
I have the Oxy light sock and it works great with this light... :)

CWSWine
04-15-2010, 19:33

There are two size of Oxycheq light socks - the one for the Raider 1 fits but is a little loose it works better with the Dorcey. The Raider III/IV is slightly smaller and holds the light really snug and that would be the one I would recommend. Yes, they are nice.

jamoore
04-16-2010, 06:58
Thanks for the info, I will give them a call. Joey