PDA

View Full Version : will photoshop elements work?

scubagirlj
08-31-2009, 08:13
took a load of pics during vacation, naturally strobe crapped out on first shot(again) and am hoping to do color correction- can't afford photoshop but have elements-not sure how to do it as will be first time ever using application-everthing is clear just blue-please help! some of my pics are really colorful sponges, corals and reef fish-as you can tell i am a real newbie when it comes to u/w phototgraphy and not afraid to ask for help

gNats
08-31-2009, 10:09
I use Photoshop Elements. It will be fine for what you are trying to do. Here are some of the keystrokes you will use.

This isn't a class on Elements, so I am assuming you know how to work your way through the menus and find things.

Your best bet is to use the Elements "Full Edit" (I alway go from the Organizer to the editing tool).

If you are in the Organizer - press Ctrl + I.

From the Enhance menu, click Auto Levels. I would not use the Auto Smart Fix - too much going on.

Start with Auto Levels. You likey? Yes, but not enough Ooomph? Want more? Try Auto Sharpen.

I have also found that Auto Color Collection works nicely too.

Don't forget your contract modes. From the Enhance menu (this is the menu where everything for color correcting is located) Adjust Lighting and then you can adjust the basic contract or mid-tones and highlights.

This was the real high-level scream through. I went to Bonaire last January and the camera I was using had everything turn out dull. I didn't have a flash. All my fish, coral, everything seemed like it had a dull film over them.

I ran the pics through the Auto Levels and Elements brought my colors back to life and cleaned them up nicely.

Don't forget - you can use the select tool to select a specific area of your picture and then "boost" it independently of everything else. I had some great photos of Parrot fish and used the select tool to isolate the fish and then pumped the reds on the fish's skin up and sharpened the fish. It made the fish appear to be standing out from the background.

Google Adobe Photoshop Elements. There is a great newsletter for $49 / yr that has some really cool tricks and techniques you can apply.

Hope this helps.

gNats

scubagirlj
08-31-2009, 12:32
thanx for help-hope I can work my way through-still new to posting pics(went to school BC, before computers, and don't have any kids to show me how to work things, ha-ha)-have kind of same problem as you seem to have-on a bright note my SRC pics(12') came out with great color, as they should! have my work cut out for me as I shot over 500 shots after editing out ones that were too blurry, not to mention other shots from previous trip that have same blue problem

Paula Schi
08-31-2009, 13:22
Hi-
the video
YouTube - Photoshop: Underwater color correction (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFhrTQJg6MI&feature=PlayList&p=54D29993208A8A66&index=0)

should also work with elements...:smiley20:

Tassie Diver
08-31-2009, 16:16
Also, take a long look at Adobe Lightroom. I used to do this sort of thing in Elements, until I got a copy of Lightroom. Now I very rarely open Elements unless I'm wanting to do something with layers.

Cheers

TD.

DRSharky
08-31-2009, 16:37
thanx for help-hope I can work my way through-still new to posting pics(went to school BC, before computers, and don't have any kids to show me how to work things, ha-ha)-have kind of same problem as you seem to have-on a bright note my SRC pics(12') came out with great color, as they should! have my work cut out for me as I shot over 500 shots after editing out ones that were too blurry, not to mention other shots from previous trip that have same blue problem

If you want to, email me couple pictures and I'll try to correct them in photoshop. My email vladi@divingdominicanrepublic.com. I am not the expert, I just adjust my UW photos the simplest way. I bet there are professionals here on the forum that would do it better :)

sabbath999
09-01-2009, 12:03
Hi-
the video
YouTube - Photoshop: Underwater color correction (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFhrTQJg6MI&feature=PlayList&p=54D29993208A8A66&index=0)

should also work with elements...:smiley20:

Good video, but it won't work with elements.

Elements doesn't have the channel mixer layer tool.