PDA

View Full Version : Small Gun Recommendation?

KingBiscuitBoy
08-31-2009, 10:03
Hello,
I want to get a small Pneumo gun. One that I can strap to my leg. I dive the Massachusetts coast and mostly hunt for lobster. Every now and then I see a nice Cod, Cunner or Blackfish that I could shoot. The fish are not too big, 30" and a five pounds at most. Any recommendations for a small Pneumo with a good holster that will stay put on your leg.
Thanks

Recon
08-31-2009, 10:11
Glock 26 with Mar-time spring cups :), oh wait, you were talking about a spear gun... :(

~Recon

WaScubaDude
08-31-2009, 11:15
Glock 26 with Mar-time spring cups :), oh wait, you were talking about a spear gun... :(

~Recon Found the answer to my own wtf are Maritime cups...

The maritime spring cups are LESS durable than the standard part, so they do not offer a benefit unless you're likely to have to fire your gun shortly after it's been submerged in water.

As you can easily seen in the picture, the maritime cups have a good bit less plastic supporting the end of the spring.
http://magmeister.com/images/cups.jpg (http://magmeister.com/images/cups.jpg)

Recon
08-31-2009, 15:05
Yep, but it does allow the weapon to cycle while underwater, so you can fire more then 1 shot while underwater :)

~Recon

WaScubaDude
08-31-2009, 15:12
Dove with Judge Joe Brown before & he claimed he shot his glock 9 UW and the bullet traveled about 15 ft. I think Myth busters proved that about 3 ft of water is enough to slow most bullets to near harmless speed.
Ever tried it?

comet24
08-31-2009, 15:22
I has going to say look at the smaller Glock's or Kahr's. Personally I like the M&P line but have only played with the full size models.

As far as shooting underwater your problems not going to be whether the gun cycles but the fact the bullet will only go a few feet.

navyhmc
08-31-2009, 16:42
Dove with Judge Joe Brown before & he claimed he shot his glock 9 UW and the bullet traveled about 15 ft. I think Myth busters proved that about 3 ft of water is enough to slow most bullets to near harmless speed.
Ever tried it?

Glock 9? I heard you can take those through airports but they cost more than you make in a month!!!:smiley36: (Die Hard) I take it you mean G-19? Never had the guts to try it yet.

WaScubaDude
08-31-2009, 17:10
Sorry using short hand. Shoulda said Glock 9mm, didnt ask him if it was a 17,19, 26 or 34.

fire diver
08-31-2009, 17:40
Ever tried it?

hydrodynamic interaction with the bullet is different when starting underwater than when on land. Regarless, you still have to be almost able to touch to target. I can see 15ft of travel. Probably MAX travel though.

BTW, I belive the maritime spring cups were designed so that the weapon would fire if it had been submergeed and still had water in the workings. Not really meant to be shot underwater.

No Misses
08-31-2009, 19:44
Back on track...Have you considered a fold spear? It is kind of like a tent pole with the bungie cord inside the tubing. It folds up to about 12" six sections folds out to a 6' pole spear. I carry one strapped to the back of my backplate as a backup. My primary is a full sized speargun. I have used it several times to remove fish from deep ledges.

Splitlip
08-31-2009, 19:56
Hello,
I want to get a small Pneumo gun. One that I can strap to my leg. I dive the Massachusetts coast and mostly hunt for lobster. Every now and then I see a nice Cod, Cunner or Blackfish that I could shoot. The fish are not too big, 30" and a five pounds at most. Any recommendations for a small Pneumo with a good holster that will stay put on your leg.
Thanks

Ahh, Grin. You out there?

No Misses
08-31-2009, 20:02

Are you looking for some pneumatic bashing?
:smilie40:

Splitlip
08-31-2009, 20:10
LOL. No. Don't know much about the OP's locale, but I am a fan of the arbaletes. (as I suspect you are.)

You are probably more qualified to speak to the pros and cons than I however.

Splitlip
08-31-2009, 20:13

Are you looking for some pneumatic bashing?
:smilie40:
Ok. Yeah. :smilie40:

Recon
08-31-2009, 20:15
Maritime cups were made so that you can fire while there is water still in the weapon from being completely submerged, however, it does allow the weapon to fire while underwater. And as far as how close you need to be.... to close imho. Also, the popular misconception that glocks are all "plastic" is just that, a misconception. The fact of the matter is, a glock is made of a composite resin that has a metal frame insert. There is more then enough metal in a glock that has be completely stripped to the frame (including the trigger housing, over travel stop block, trigger connector, slide stop lever, and magizine release catch.

P.S. Recon is a Glock armorsmith in his spare time :) hence the reason that everyone in my family trusts their lives to glock.

~Recon

Splitlip
08-31-2009, 20:26
Maritime cups were made so that you can fire while there is water still in the weapon from being completely submerged, however, it does allow the weapon to fire while underwater. And as far as how close you need to be.... to close imho. Also, the popular misconception that glocks are all "plastic" is just that, a misconception. The fact of the matter is, a glock is made of a composite resin that has a metal frame insert. There is more then enough metal in a glock that has be completely stripped to the frame (including the trigger housing, over travel stop block, trigger connector, slide stop lever, and magizine release catch.

P.S. Recon is a Glock armorsmith in his spare time :) hence the reason that everyone in my family trusts their lives to glock.

~Recon

Good. So far I am pleased with mine. Having been brought up with more traditional weapons.
You may be hearing from me. LOL

mm_dm
09-01-2009, 21:05
Hello,
Thanks

Here you go: Sten Mini Mini Pneumatic Speargun with Holster reviews and discounts, Mares (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=StenMiniMini)

Splitlip
09-01-2009, 21:17
http://image.wetpaint.com/image/1/QRYTwkC_qBpiIEku6PX7Lw39572/GW364H204

CompuDude
09-01-2009, 23:31

~Recon

Good. So far I am pleased with mine. Having been brought up with more traditional weapons.

I'll remember that next time I'm in your neck of the woods and my 17c needs a tuneup. ;)

Recon
09-02-2009, 00:15
Trigger connector / a dremel and some jewelers polish works wonders :)

~Recon

~Recon

I'll remember that next time I'm in your neck of the woods and my 17c needs a tuneup. ;)

cmburch
09-03-2009, 12:34
I use a 20 year old Mares Snubnose. It is the smallest Sten. I do not carry it in the leg holster due to the possibility of entanglement. It is either in my hand or in my goodie/catch bag. Most of my shots are less than 3 feet for California groundfish. Actually, about 1 foot. I have a 4AA UK flashlight strapped to it for looking in rocks, crevasses, ledges, etc. The supplied Sten speartip and shaft is not the highest quality. Need to at least rethread the 8mm shaft with 7mm thread to 5/16" or 6mm and get a new spearpoint for the Sten.

There are some posts about pneumatics with holsters on SCUBABoard hunting section.

The best place for info on pneumatics may be DeeperBlue pneumatic section.

Krakenn
09-09-2009, 06:50
Yep Mares Sten, but put it in your catch bag as there are alot of empty holsters out there.

Kraks