PDA

View Full Version : Lost my camera - need a replacement for cold murky waters...

Jack Hammer
08-31-2009, 13:31
Title sums it up well. I lost my camera Saturday in Lake Michigan, if someone finds a Sea&Sea dg860, hopefully floating, it's probably mine. I really didn't like that camera much, too much lag and hard to set up, and was looking for an excuse to get something else. Though my original intent was to sell it, not lose it diving.

I'm looking to stay relatively inexpensive and for a point and shoot that takes decent pics and video without much lag. I dive in Lake Michigan in cold (sometimes in the 30's) water. Vis can be anywhere from a few feet to 50+ (usually in the middle). Lots of murk and greenish/gray with a lot of particulate. I'm too lazy to get a camera with fancy settings and options I don't understand, I just wanna snap "a nice picture." I was thinking of a used Canon A something but am open to suggestions. Also, I'm not in a rush, sometime between now and whenever I find a deal works for me.

So in short I'm looking for recomendations for an inexpensive, small, quick focusing, low lag, sd card using, ok for depth (180ish min), not necessarily new, with inexpensive accessories if I want to add them, camera that works well in cold murk and doesn't cost a poor man's fortune.

Thanks

PTAaron
08-31-2009, 13:40
I have a Canon 990is with the Canon waterproof case... works well for me so far. No lag on photos, easy to set and adjust.
I don't think the Canon brand case will make it to 180ft though... I don't have it in front of me but for some reason I think the limit on it is 130.

Recon
08-31-2009, 14:55
i also have the ikelite / nikon L18 combo that I am selling.

~Recon

Jack Hammer
08-31-2009, 16:24
I'm not a photagrapher or really familiar with any of the technical terms, which is a big reason I listed a summary of what I'm looking for a camera to do. My dad was actually an amateur photographer and had all kinds of specialized equipment, I never really had any interest in it other than taking a memory with me.

Recon, I'll take a look at your listing and see what info I can find out about the camera and housings performance. Any other recommendations and reasons for them?

SlvrDragon50
08-31-2009, 17:47
I think teh Canon SD780 is a nice choice. I believe I got mine for ~300 dollars including a housing.

If you look here: http://forum.scubatoys.com/underwater-photo/26212-help-photoshop.html Those are some pictures in took.

Keep in mind, that was like my 10th dive and my first time shooting photos.

Recon
08-31-2009, 20:19
The Nikon L18 is a good point and shoot camera, not a ton of super cool features on it. The reason that I have moved away from it was it was not providing the type of photos that I wanted to take. I have a Sony a350 that I use above the waterline and I wanted something a little closer to that. Meaning that I can use a bunch of different attachments on the camera for different types of shots.

Tassie Diver
08-31-2009, 20:27
At the moment, my next camera is looking like the Sea & Sea DX2G Sea & Sea DX2G Underwater Digital Camera reviews and discounts, Sea & Sea (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SeaAndSeaDX2G)

Jack Hammer
09-01-2009, 04:48
At the moment, my next camera is looking like the Sea & Sea DX2G Sea & Sea DX2G Underwater Digital Camera reviews and discounts, Sea & Sea (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SeaAndSeaDX2G)
The Sea & Sea I had didn't really wow me and left me with a bit of a bad taste for the price. I understand the DX1 or 2 models are a whole nother beast but are also much more than I really want to spend. What else and why do people recommend?

Jack Hammer
09-05-2009, 21:54
Went diving today on the same wreck I lost my camera on last week. I had last used the camera a few minutes before we headed back to the mooring line to ascend. There was a heavy current that day and I wasn't sure if the camera, which is slightly positive at times had sunk to the bottom or surfaced . So my plan was to make one pass, spending ~5 minutes, looking in the direction the current would have taken it then give up knowing I had at least tried to find it.

We dropped down and I went to the bottom, ~70', and swam about 150' out using my compass then turned and went about 35' over and headed back toward the wreck. I got to somewhere between 75-100' feet out and saw something about 20' over. I swam over and found my camera covered in silt floating off the bottom with the weight of the X-large bolt snap anchoring it to the bottom. The best part is I picked it up and it still had a full charge on it so I was able to brush it off and take lots of video and some pictures from the rest of the dive.

The whole thing still feels kinda surreal, I had to check it a few times to make sure I really had found it and wasn't narced. I really didn't expect to find anything but a lot of sand, silt, dirt, and maybe a few rocks. but I'm happy to have something to use, til I find a better one. Now if I can just find a couple stacks of hundreds on my next dive...

Jack:smiley32:

Recon
09-05-2009, 23:46
WOW that is awesome, Don't know who has better eyes, you or DD who finds all sorts of stuff laying about the bottom... like a BLACK d-ring in some of the worst vis I have seen at CSSP.

~Recon

Okc_diver
09-05-2009, 23:46
glad to hear you found your camera.

Tassie Diver
09-06-2009, 02:43
Doh! Now you'll have to wait before you get a new camera ;)

Jack Hammer
09-06-2009, 10:23
Doh! Now you'll have to wait before you get a new camera ;)
I've been wanting a better one for awhile now, I just don't feel like coughing up the cash yet. I originally planned on replacing it sometime over the winter when I'm diving less and have a little more $ to spare. That is unless, of course, I find that stack of bills on the bottom...:smiley36: