PDA

View Full Version : Miflex HP hoses?

BRsnow
09-01-2009, 12:16
I am trying to make my regs pack up as easy as possible...so I was looking into the HP Miflex for the guages. I have an oceanic swiv and I am not sure they are universal as far connections go. Also would these work with an air-integrated unit? I did some searches and have not been able to come up with any info. Any input would be great. BR

mitsuguy
09-01-2009, 14:19
standard high pressure hose connector...

if you can take a high pressure hose off of yours, you can install the miflex in its place... sometimes the spools are different from one to another, but it appears most, if not all, are cross compatible...

scubagirlj
09-01-2009, 14:27
the HP hoses are signifigantly thinner than regular rubber hoses-haven't had mine installed yet(waiting to service whole deal)-this won't be a problem?

mitsuguy
09-01-2009, 14:49
the HP hoses are signifigantly thinner than regular rubber hoses-haven't had mine installed yet(waiting to service whole deal)-this won't be a problem?

nope...

Flatliner
09-01-2009, 15:58
I have about 10 dives on mine now. I was a little concerned about how thin they were but certainly doesn't seem to be an issue at this point.

scubagirlj
10-24-2009, 09:55
just got mine back- LDS charged $5 to switch out standard for miflex HP-can't wait to pack!

Tassie Diver
10-24-2009, 15:28
I've heard nothing but good about them. Also, it is possible to get adaptors so if the fitting didn't work (unlikely), you could use an adaptor.

CompuDude
10-24-2009, 21:16
just got mine back- LDS charged $5 to switch out standard for miflex HP-can't wait to pack!

Seriously? They charged you $5 to swap a hose for you? (I'm assuming you bought the hose from them)

scubagirlj
10-24-2009, 21:48
no, they don't carry miflex- a ST purchase- i did my own swap with reg & octo but didn't want to mess around with the console

inventor
10-24-2009, 22:21
The miflex folks probably have already thought of this...

Would any miflex hose work on the console, or is this one made just for consoles? Dive buddy just got miflex for his reg, would this one be OK for the console? Mind you, no knowledge of wether these differ from other hoses in any pressure related use.

Newb, just askin'...

Tiptopperoo
10-25-2009, 01:27
The connection on the MiFlex hoses is exactly the same as any other HP connection. I can't see any reason you couldn't use it on a console also. In fact I believe that they have a higher burst pressure and load bearing capabilities of standard hoses, so they are perfect for console use really.

My hot tip however, ditch the console, get a 24" MiFlex HP hose and brass and glass SPG, clip it off to your left hip D-ring then bungee wrist mount whatever remaining stuff you have hanging about in your console. You won't regret it!

scubachris
10-25-2009, 07:21
My hot tip however, ditch the console, get a 24" MiFlex HP hose and brass and glass SPG, clip it off to your left hip D-ring then bungee wrist mount whatever remaining stuff you have hanging about in your console. You won't regret it!

just a quick question...is there any difficulty checking your tank pressure reading underwater when the spg is clipped at the hip d-ring? i tried it once and found it hard to read...

mitsuguy
10-25-2009, 07:34

just a quick question...is there any difficulty checking your tank pressure reading underwater when the spg is clipped at the hip d-ring? i tried it once and found it hard to read...

The theory is that it is always in the exact same position making it real easy to learn the clip / unclip process... it becomes muscle memory...

in reality for me, I leave it clipped there and I can see it pretty easy, I just have to push my inflator hose out of the way (its like right in my mask when I look down and left)

edit: just a quick point of clarification... there are three different hoses on regs... there are low pressure hoses that go between your 1st stage and 2nd stages, there is the hose with a quick connect coupler on the end for BC low pressure inflators and drysuits, and then there is a high pressure hose for your SPG...

it_mike
10-27-2009, 05:26
no, they don't carry miflex- a ST purchase- i did my own swap with reg & octo but didn't want to mess around with the console

Good for them! An LDS willing to support you, no matter where you got the parts, is worth the cost of labor.

BTW, I run my SPG under my arm and attached to a chest d-ring. Easily readable at a glance.

cbope
10-27-2009, 10:18
The miflex folks probably have already thought of this...

Would any miflex hose work on the console, or is this one made just for consoles? Dive buddy just got miflex for his reg, would this one be OK for the console? Mind you, no knowledge of wether these differ from other hoses in any pressure related use.

Newb, just askin'...

The hoses are NOT interchangeable. Consoles or SPG's are connected to the HP (high pressure) port on the regulator first stage. The HP port is exposed to full tank pressure (e.g. 3000 psi), hence the name. Regulator hoses are also called LP or low pressure hoses. LP hoses are connected to the, you guessed it, LP ports on the first stage regulator. LP ports are fed by the regulated part of your first stage and consequently have much lower pressures, typically around 130-150 psi. If you look at the pressure rating on your regulator hoses you will also notice the difference, LP hoses are usually rated around 250 psi (going from memory here...) and HP hoses are usually rated for 5000 psi.

Additionally, HP and LP hoses use different connectors to prevent incorrect use which in the case of an LP hose connected to an HP port, would be a disaster (burst hose).

Miflex does make a specific HP hose for use with consoles/SPG's.

Zeagle Eagle
11-23-2009, 01:43
I just had a miraflex hose installed by ST while they were doing annuals on a couple of my regs. I haven't dived it yet, but tried it out in the garage. At first glance it seems to be more comfortable than my old hose. I will try and give a trip report. I have COZ scheduled for Dec and another in Jan.

BTW, I drove up to Dallas to visit ST from Houston (3:17 mins). I don't have the time to tell you yet what an awesome place it was. I am really glad I made the trip although I spent a lot more than I had planned. Joe kept showing me better and better stuff.

Trip report to follow as soon as I get the time to give ST's their props.

davepoff
01-01-2011, 19:27
I currently have a miflex HP hose hooked up to a Suunto Console and the hose opening to the console is larger than the hose, so it wiggles around.