PDA

View Full Version : oronogo missouri diving

wanz0916
09-01-2009, 23:25
Does anyone know how good the diving is at Oronogo? I have dove Tenkiller several times in the last two months logging 10-15 dives there but would be willing to drive to Oronogo if the diving is better.
Thank You for your opinions.

navyhmc
09-01-2009, 23:44
To start: A gratuitous plug for our fellow forum member's (Snagel) site try Midwestmuckdiving (http://www.midwestmuckdiving.com) He's got a lot of midwest lake conditions.

The cost is $12 per day, John has some rental gear if you need it, 3000 fills are usually $6, nitrox is usually $ .10 per cu ft. He blends whatever mix you want.

I was there about 2 weekends ago. The diving isn't too bad, John has a lot of stuff in the shallows (15'-40') to look at, there's a number of boats here and there as well as some sunken cars and a plane at 40'. The vis wasn't too bad that weekend-about 10'-15'. Sunday it's a little worse especially in the shallows due to students. Not a bad thing, but it happens. Right now, the temps are pretty good; 60f at 95'. At the mid range depths (50'-100') the vis is usually a litle better up to 20' but there's not a lot to really see. For the most part, 5 dives will let you see most of the stuff worth seeing there is a golf cart at 80' and a cabin cruiser at 95' with a few boats in between.

The most fun is the walk down and up the hill. I recommend a short stay at the water before heading back up.

There are a number of shafts that lead off from the walls that you can get into before you know it, so be aware of those. In the east side, the only one's in rec limits are the doors and are caverns not shafts-follow a wall and you'll get out. A little fish life, but not much.

In all, I enjoy diving there and it's good for a weekend out. Drop a line when you want to go in the DDCN area ( http://forum.scubatoys.com/ddcn/ ) and I'm sure someone will be able to meet you there.

When are you thinking of going?

wanz0916
09-02-2009, 00:26
I am planning on going Sat the 5th. I plan on leaving Norman around 7 in the morning and figure that this will but me there sometime around 11. I just dont want to drive that far, and it not be as good as Tenkiller.

snagel
09-02-2009, 05:37
I've tried to dive Tenkiller twice (last year) but each time cancelled the trip due to the conditions. I hear it's much better this year, but haven't had time to make it down. I don't think you will be disappointed with Oronogo. It is a nice quarry with a lot of attractions and worth the drive.

BTW, thanks Navy for the plug.

Snagel

wanz0916
09-02-2009, 23:46
Tenkiller has been okay this year. If you can make it down there Fri, or early Sat it is much better because after noonish on Sat the OW classes have the silt stirred up and the vis droppes to around 7' at the most.

mm2002
10-01-2009, 19:09
Oronogo is a good dive. The walls are almost as dramatic as Mermet, but not as clean (tons and tons of algae growth). The tunnels are awesome, but be careful and pay attention to the pre-dive briefing. It's DEEP, so know where you are. I'll see if I can dig up some pics and vids.

DivingCRNA
10-01-2009, 20:58
Oronogo is a good dive. The walls are almost as dramatic as Mermet, but not as clean (tons and tons of algae growth). The tunnels are awesome, but be careful and pay attention to the pre-dive briefing. It's DEEP, so know where you are. I'll see if I can dig up some pics and vids.

Mermet actually had TERRIBLE VIS 2.5 weeks ago. The same or worse than Oronogo that same week. I would say 5 foot max for a lot of the quarry the weekend I was in Mermet.

mm2002
10-04-2009, 08:43

Mermet actually had TERRIBLE VIS 2.5 weeks ago. The same or worse than Oronogo that same week. I would say 5 foot max for a lot of the quarry the weekend I was in Mermet.

Yeah, it can get that way, especially after a rain. I've also seen 30 ft there, so conditions can vary greatly.

jamiejo
10-04-2009, 19:51
Deep Voice (Jamie's Husband) I dove Oronogo Today and Yesterday. Viz was great! for Oronogo. In the shallows it was about 15' and the same on the second road. 95' . Viz was F-ing great at 175' about 20-25' then at 180' there was a milky haze. Almost looked like fog. Water temp is 68deg. all the way down to 120' then it drops fast to 49deg at 180'.
Great weekend of diving!
http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n413/kennydavis2/IMG_2293.jpg

navyhmc
10-04-2009, 20:03
I see the water's up again, is that big slit pile still at the entrance?

I hope to make it down there this month sometime...

cowgirldiver
10-05-2009, 12:51
Rick posted this on the Aquanauts site (this weekend?)

Capt. John is having Environment Days @ Oronogo/ Captain John's Sports & Scuba.
When,you say? Well that would be October 24th & and 25th from 9 AM to 6 PM both days
Whats happening,you ask?
Saturday there will be an Underwater Poker Run
There will be prizes.
And a group clean up of the lake and grounds. Participants get free air fills.
Sunday there will be an Underwater Pumpkin Carving Contest.
Winner gets a $50.00 Capt. John's Gift from The 2nd Wave Dive Club
Also another day of clean up again participants in the clean ups get free air fills
If you need more information please contact John or Regina @ 417-673-2724
Food and Beverages will be provided. Remember that alcohol is not permitted at the park.

Also this one:

Capt. John @ Oronogo is having Poseidon Days October 17 & 18. Poseidon will be there with all types of gear for you to try. I know nothing else about this so I would say that if you having been wondering about any Poseidon dive equipment now is the time to try it for yourself.

Nemrod
12-04-2009, 22:42
Does anyone know how good the diving is at Oronogo? I have dove Tenkiller several times in the last two months logging 10-15 dives there but would be willing to drive to Oronogo if the diving is better.

Simply my opinion, of all the places I have dived since 1966ish, I would have to rate this pitiful pit right about bottom of the barrel with only the Mississippi River and maybe my sewage lagoon being lower.

N

navyhmc
12-04-2009, 23:08

Simply my opinion, of all the places I have dived since 1966ish, I would have to rate this pitiful pit right about bottom of the barrel with only the Mississippi River and maybe my sewage lagoon being lower.

N

I'm sorry you feel that way Nemrod. When were you there last? How many times have you been there?

I find it to be a nice place to make a couple of dives on a weekend. Not very big, but plenty to see on a couple of dives. The vis has not been the best in the past year, but it has improved to near pre-2000 levels. Sure, it gets a little silted up with classes doing OW checkouts, but there a lot to do outside the shallows. If you're into intermediate depths, it may lack a little, but the deeper rec limits are great.

I've done some dives in Beaver that were a lot worse with a lot worse conditions.

One other thing I enjoy about Oronogo is the folks that dive there are themselves great people. Surface intervals are about as much fun as the dives.

mm2002
12-05-2009, 05:45

N

Oronogo is fun, especially compared to Tenkiller!

jamiejo
12-05-2009, 08:29

N

:smilie39: How deep is your "Sewage Lagoon"? I can see why people don't like Oronogo. But for those of us who dive there frequently it's HOME. With deep water around 220' and many many caves to explore...It's a Tec Divers playground. I love the place and the people who run it.

Nemrod
12-05-2009, 13:00

N

I'm sorry you feel that way Nemrod. When were you there last? How many times have you been there?

I find it to be a nice place to make a couple of dives on a weekend. Not very big, but plenty to see on a couple of dives. The vis has not been the best in the past year, but it has improved to near pre-2000 levels. Sure, it gets a little silted up with classes doing OW checkouts, but there a lot to do outside the shallows. If you're into intermediate depths, it may lack a little, but the deeper rec limits are great.

I've done some dives in Beaver that were a lot worse with a lot worse conditions.

One other thing I enjoy about Oronogo is the folks that dive there are themselves great people. Surface intervals are about as much fun as the dives.

LOL, I am glad you enjoy it. It let's you get wet anyways. Good for that.

I don't divide diving into rec, tec, deep, intermediate and all that. I went there, I went to 150 feet, I nodded my head, yep, been here and done this, loaded up and ain't going back. :smiley20:

If I want a picture of a lawnmower I can take one of mine in my backyard, don't need to swim down 150 feet in a dirty pit to photograph a wreck that turns out to be a lawnmower. :smilie39:

I blew in on a south wind and I am hopeful one of these days a particularly strong north wind will blow me the Hades back out of here. If it ain't salt, I ain't getting wet, well, maybe. :smiley36:

N

mm2002
12-06-2009, 19:10
If it ain't salt, I ain't getting wet, well, maybe. :smiley36:
N

Uh huh.....:smilie40:

fire diver
12-07-2009, 11:49
I blew in on a south wind and I am hopeful one of these days a particularly strong north wind will blow me the Hades back out of here. If it ain't salt, I ain't getting wet, well, maybe. :smiley36:

N

So does that mean you've stopped diving the lakes?

mm2002
12-07-2009, 17:49

N

So does that mean you've stopped diving the lakes?

:smiley2::smilie40: