PDA

View Full Version : How Thorough Is Your Buddy Check?

Vercingetorix
08-28-2007, 13:18
How thorough do you check your buddy's gear, not how thoroughly does he/she check your gear?

Would you prefer that your buddy do a thorough check of your gear?

BSea
08-28-2007, 13:22
To be honest, I don't check my buddy's gear. But my regular buddy is someone I have dived with for over 30 years. Not that that makes it ok, it's just the way we dive. I also dive solo at times, so checking my own gear is a habit. The times I was with a rent a buddy, the DM checked gear as we left the boat.

thor
08-28-2007, 13:22
I do it pretty thoroughly. I can't tell you how many times I have checked the air valve, and it was off or not all of the way open on my buddy. Especially on boats where the DMs can be a in a hurry.

greyzen
08-28-2007, 13:31
When I was doing OW with my wife, I checked her gear once a day...
We wore the same stuff just different sizes so I didn't think it was too critical.

She was appreciative when I turned her air on... then I checked it more :)

ertechsg
08-28-2007, 13:37
Check? is air on lets go

No Misses
08-28-2007, 13:40
Usually, it goes like this...Is your gas on? let's go.

That is unless I have noticed something odd. Examples...
Do yo want to wear fins on this dive or are you just going to sit on the bottom?
Do you want your gloves for this dive or do you plan on grabbing those spiny lobsters bare handed?
Do you want your mask or do you plan on feeling your way along the reef?
Do you want your weight belt or should we just call you Bob?
etc.

finflippers
08-28-2007, 13:47
Me and my dive buddy dive together all the time and also are solo divers we handle our own gear but will ask each other before descending if each others air is on.

Vercingetorix
08-28-2007, 13:48

Do yo want to wear fins on this dive or are you just going to sit on the bottom?
Do you want your gloves for this dive or do you plan on grabbing those spiny lobsters bare handed?
etc.I've got to remember those...

georoc01
08-28-2007, 14:17
I only have 30 dives under my belt and have seen just about that entire list in my diving experience. Also caught my buddy w/o an octo. Really kept an eye on my SPG during that dive!

Vegas
08-28-2007, 14:31
. . .unless I have noticed something odd. Examples...

These are PRICELESS!! LOL!:smiley36:

ESPECIALLY THIS ONE!.....

etc.

:smilie39:
Thanks for the laugh! I needed that!

MEL-DC Diver
08-28-2007, 14:38
What is this so-called 'buddy-check' that you speak of?

TAH 73
08-28-2007, 14:44
Quite a thorough Buddy-Check, dive buddy this summer just finished OW cert, so I figured I might as well set an example by doing a good buddy check, therefore she see's the right way to do it and follows suit. I have also sometimes intentionally done things to see if she would catch it, 9air not on, LP not hooked up but strapped down properly, hose trapped under strap etc). Gives confidence if they find the issues, and with someone you know, if they miss something a good area for "coaching".

dallasdivergirl
08-28-2007, 14:46
I think we are equal in the smart question department but you are much nicer than me!

etc.

kevinj1
08-28-2007, 14:54
my older brother is my dive buddy and has been for a long time. We made it habit to check over each others equipment twice before entering the water. Although Scuba is a great sport, it comes with great responsibility--and we always keep that in mind.

willardj
08-28-2007, 15:58
I used to be real bad about not checking,but sence I took my cavern class it's all the time now. Before every dive.

paintsnow
08-29-2007, 18:23
i check my air every dive and i sure hope they check theirs.
otherwise i just look over them quickly and make sure i don't see anything that looks wrong.

i also expect them to check their bcd by filling it with air and make sure everything is buckled up.

if they ask me to turn their air on or check their tank or help them with a strap i will be glad to do it, but the less liability i have the better
and besides
we should all be responsible enough to check everything ourselves since we're certified to dive by ourselves without the need for an instructor watching over us

Charlotte Smith
08-29-2007, 18:41
It is a very good habit because I saw one of my friends drop down in 20 foot of water only to find out her air wasn't on and her husband was her buddy...she panicked and swam to the top with MUCH effort. I could not get to her to give her my octo until she was almost to the top! Now I check her gear and my husbands(my buddy) so as not to have that happen again.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-29-2007, 19:07
Every dive I check straps, weights. air. even push their purges and inflator to make sure all is proper and ready to dive.

gtjason2000
08-29-2007, 19:11
The answer is not thorough enough. As I move into the ranks of professional diver I need to set a better example and do it everytime and check everything.

chinacat46
08-29-2007, 19:26
When diving with somebody new I really like to look over there gear but after I'm familar with it then it's just the air on check and lets go.

dmdoss
08-29-2007, 23:21
I dive with my son. I really don't want to take the chance I couldn't help him. He's a really good diver, But I don't want to risk it. Were pretty good about it.

deepdiver47
08-30-2007, 07:16
Buddy check? Dive solo minded and you will become paranoid about yourself before you enter the water.

frankc420
08-30-2007, 07:41
I generally dive with one person and that is mwhities. We both have the same rig, which just so happens to be one of the simplest rigs made, DSS BP/W. Our normal checks are,

"Are you ready?"
"Yep"
"Are you ready?"
"Yep"
"Air on?"
"Check"
"Air on?"
"Check"

SPLASH!

cummings66
08-30-2007, 10:58
My checks are in depth with a new buddy, with an old one we already know the gear and don't check it as completely. You're still looking at the items but don't need to go into the detail as to how it comes off.

scubasavvy
08-30-2007, 11:01
I wouldn't dive with my buddy if we didn't know every strap and every release on each other's gear. Needless to say she's one of my best friends and we have a great time diving safely.

scubasamurai
08-30-2007, 13:14
if i know the guy and been diving with no big, we know each others gear and action. this past dive as soon as i heard " i haven;t dove in the past 10yrs" i did a complete check and showed him all my emergency stuff etc. and still we had problems. ouch, take a refresher

TxHockeyGuy
08-30-2007, 15:25
First dive of a weekend is a full thorough buddy check. After that I usually do a pretty good check of myself but don't check my buddy unless they ask or I see something. Doesn't make it right, but that's what I've got in the habit of doing.

Liv7301
08-30-2007, 18:31
We have gotten a bit lax on the buddy checks. Because norine62 and I have almost identical gear and we know it all so well we really just make sure our own stuff is working. We do check each other's air though.

CompuDude
08-30-2007, 19:06
My checks are in depth with a new buddy, with an old one we already know the gear and don't check it as completely. You're still looking at the items but don't need to go into the detail as to how it comes off.

Same here. In front of students I am more thorough, but when diving with familiar buddies with known gear my checks are fairly cursory. Diving with someone new I will always take the time to see where releases are, weights, etc., and be sure they know mine as well... especially since long hose rigs and hog bp/w's aren't as well known as more typical gear.

pnevai
08-30-2007, 19:06
Male or Female Buddy? :smiley2:

ScubaJenn81
08-31-2007, 05:32
Once we help each other get our gear on, we look each other other and be sure the air is on. Same buddy every time, but it is common practice with us to basic lookover.

Divegirl
09-01-2007, 00:26
Just started a thread so we can all dive safe,
just wanted to hear some reminders, such as this one check your buddy,
I dive with my honey, and we are not that great at this, Shame shame
We were diving last weekend in San Carlos, mexico, and his air 1st stage was bubbling more
than my reg, so it was a great reminder to do a better buddy check everydive.
I am going to consciencely try to check it like i learned it!!!!!!!

quarrydiver
09-01-2007, 20:57
Even though we know each other's equipment, my wife and I do a quick check to make sure we haven't forgotten anything. that way, no embarrassing moments in the water.

scubasamurai
09-01-2007, 21:01
when in doubt, do the check, i know we all should do it, but after being in the islands the first day 90% of the people didn't . of course i was the anal person that told my buddy how to handle an out of air problem, especially at 80 pl;us feet. too long to the surface for and oh no!!!

BuzzGA
09-01-2007, 22:51
I always check my buddy's gear...air on, all connections tight, guages working, straps not tearing etc. It's quick and easy and keeps the dives a lot calmer

Xspect
09-02-2007, 18:39
I certainly do buddy check- the life I save may be my own

wxboy911
09-02-2007, 19:29
I do the Buddy check and I think my buddy appreciates it...As I am asking him questions I am checking myself and the list is not too long-mostly the basics.

Travelnsj
09-03-2007, 00:03
I usually dive with a group or just DM...usually the boat crew turns on the air...check before i jump in...I'll always check a buddy if asked or I see them having a problem.....no excuse should always do a buddy check.

LCF
09-03-2007, 20:24
Even with my regular buddies, who all dive with exactly the same equipment I have, we do a head-to-toe equipment check before every dive. I can't even count the number of times we've found somebody with something not right -- gas not on, a light not working, a hose not connected (drysuit hoses are the big culprit!) We do a bubble check, too, either at the surface or at ten feet or so, to make sure nobody has any leaks. It doesn't take much time, and it saves a lot of headaches.