PDA

View Full Version : Things I must do before I die......

thor
08-28-2007, 13:18
I keep a list of things I must do in my life (long list), and from time to time I will check things off. For instance some o f the things on my list are:

Learn to Scuba- check
Have a child- check
Learn to Sky dive-
Go to a World Series game-
etc., etc.

What kinds of things MUST you do before you do the final check out dive in the sky?

Osprey
08-28-2007, 15:33
Get my lifeguarding cert, get a good art job, nothing too out of the ordinary I guess

ertechsg
08-28-2007, 15:38
see what each day bring and survive

finflippers
08-28-2007, 15:38
Make it to Instructor and teach my grandson to scuba. Still have a while to live his 1st. birthday will be in November.

Kingpatzer
08-28-2007, 16:07
discover the secret to immortality

thor
08-28-2007, 16:12

Alright Mr. Smarty Pants. And if you can't find that, what would you want to make sure you've accomplished?

finflippers
08-28-2007, 16:29

And don't forget to share the secret with all of your friends on ST. We'll be waiting :smilie40:

Kingpatzer
08-28-2007, 16:33
Seriously, I've done all the big exciting things I thought would be really neat to do in my life --- jumped from airplanes, rode motocycles, climbed mountains, flew, went to war, etc.,

Getting thrills isn't something I live for anymore, nor is discovering, inventing, or otherwise "doing" anything. What I want to do, before I die, is precisely what I did yesterday, what I'm going to do today, and, God willing, what I'll do for many tomorrow's to come: go home, spend time with my wife and kids, smile, laugh, and love the people whom I care about . . . so when the time comes that I'm no longer here, there will never be a doubt in their minds about if they mattered to me or not, or if I could have loved them more.

thor
08-28-2007, 16:44
Seriously, I've done all the big exciting things I thought would be really neat to do in my life --- jumped from airplanes, rode motocycles, climbed mountains, flew, went to war, etc.,

Getting thrills isn't something I live for anymore, nor is discovering, inventing, or otherwise "doing" anything. What I want to do, before I die, is precisely what I did yesterday, what I'm going to do today, and, God willing, what I'll do for many tomorrow's to come: go home, spend time with my wife and kids, smile, laugh, and love the people whom I care about . . . so when the time comes that I'm no longer here, there will never be a doubt in their minds about if they mattered to me or not, or if I could have loved them more.

Holy @#@%. That's beautiful man. Seriously

WV Diver
08-28-2007, 16:59
Travel as much of the world as possible.

Vegas
08-28-2007, 18:53
What kinds of things MUST you do before you do the final check out dive in the sky?

ummmm......find Nirvana? [the buddhist state of enlightenment, not the band]
(I figure it's somewhere between 65' and 80' down in an ocean somewhere, surrounded by fish.)

Just Kidding....
ask a deep question - get a WAY TOO DEEP answer....

I made a conscious decision in my early teens that I didn't want to be sitting somewhere at 90 years old feeling regret for all the things I had never had the courage to try....and that's sort of stuck with me most of my life so far....(that can be good and bad, BTW.)

I've done most of the thrill-seeker stuff I'd care to...jumped out of planes, been cliff-diving, scuba diving (of course), Raced up and down enormous sand dunes on an ATV, Ridden in horse shows, been Rock Climbing, Rappelling, Danced on tables (don't ask), Snow skiing, kick-boxing, Motorcycle Rallies (even owned my own Harley for a while), did a long-distance swim across a bay, etc. etc. - that sort of stuff.

I did a couple of things that took even more courage (IMO) than the things listed above: got married, had a beautiful little girl (rest her soul - 'nuff said), got divorced, started my own business, got very successful, got sick, lost it all, started over again.

I've lived in the mountains (Boulder, CO), the plains (Tulsa, OK), the coast (Newport Beach, CA), and the inner city (South Central Los Angeles), a small town in the desert (Kingman, AZ) and now in Las Vegas... I've had my 15 minutes of fame, and was even on CNN once.

Not too unlike Kingpatzer, the things that matter the Most to me have to do with "giving back", truly appreciating the people in my life, and savoring the beauty I see around me.

Things on list recently:
volunteer work with Special Oympics - check
help out at rescue mission - check
call mother - check
visit father - check
appreciate sunset (in a couple hours)
live & let live, not let the little things bother me, and
be grateful to be alive - check!

hoop
08-28-2007, 19:10
I'm the type that is never really satisfied... I'll always be learning about something, be it practical experience or taking classes, etc.

Here's a couple on my "to do" list:

Get my commercial pilot ticket

Go white water rafting the Colorado river

Go skydiving

Learn rock climbing

Learn the Italian language

Go see the Old World

Travel in General

Ask me the same question in a week or two, and I'll probably have different answers! I'm no doubt ADHD!! :smiley29:

deepdiver47
08-28-2007, 19:20
Go dive the Red Sea

scubasamurai
08-28-2007, 19:30
keep it simple for me
see the kids at least grad from college
dive all over the world and take my time doing it
date some supermodels and some not so super
make the world a better place
and finally wheni die at 110 have the ashes placed in atlantis off the florida coast

lucidblue
08-29-2007, 15:03
This is a deep question. I've done a lot already and had a lot of success and happiness in my life. Here are a few things I can say are on the top of my list:

- Find a way to be less stressed
- Get married
- Have kids
- Spend more time with family and friends
- Travel in Europe (top of list: Italy, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Prague, Spain)
- Dive in as many tropical places as possible
- Ski a few more places out west

That's the short list.

unclepooty
08-29-2007, 15:17
"find me a place where I can think.....talk about love and laugh and drink"
Jason Boland

mm_dm
08-29-2007, 16:23
Dive the Andrea Doria (and have my family be okay with it).

gtjason2000
08-29-2007, 16:24
Become financially independent, quit my job, do whatever I want for the rest of my days. This would involve a lot of traveling and diving.

finflippers
08-29-2007, 16:31
I would like to take a sub ride down to see the Titanic

dallasdivergirl
08-29-2007, 17:05
See more of the world, not just travel but see how others live.

Live more simply with less waste.

Keep planting trees.

Bring smiles to the faces of others.

Adopt more animals.

cummings66
08-29-2007, 17:48
For me I have a few things left to do.

Get my Instrument ticket
Get my Commercial ticket
Get technical qualified for the types of diving I want to do
Go dive some real wrecks in the Great Lakes
Master German

I've done many things, but as time marches on there's always something to add to the list.

paintsnow
08-29-2007, 18:11
serve as a diver in the navy
rebreather deco diving
get married

willardj
08-29-2007, 18:14
Dive Truk Lagoon

Charlotte Smith
08-29-2007, 18:28
Making sure my 2 grandchildren get to experience diving if they want and living my life with no regrets!

gtjason2000
08-29-2007, 19:15
See more of the world, not just travel but see how others live.

Live more simply with less waste.

Keep planting trees.

Bring smiles to the faces of others.

Adopt more animals.

Those are some good goals and easy to attain.

scuba Widow
08-29-2007, 22:24
I want to live long enough to watch my grandson graduate from medical school.
win the lottery
build a house
and to see my daughter truly happy with her life

kyfriedchipper
11-23-2007, 23:11
climb some of the world's larget peaks

Mycroft
11-24-2007, 22:24
I have considered this because I have been reported dead twice and beat the odds twice (but not at the same time for one of each). So after I survived cancer, I took up diving 3 years later.

Others:

Eagle Scout - check
Graduate from College - check
Graduate from Master's program - check
Write a book - check
Give a presentation at a national conference - March 2008 an international one coming up!
Earn a lifesaving medal - in progress of paperwork, the life was saved.
Finish Master Diver - check
Cavern Diver - in progress

rach
11-25-2007, 20:38
1. Dive the Bay of Pigs
2. Watch my bag come out first from the baggage claim
3. Skydive
4. Watch KU play in the NCAA basketball Final 4...in person
5. Learn how to make it through the slalom course (on the lake)
6. Finish all 14 of my Architectural Registration Exams
7. Raft a Class V rapid
8. Run a marathon
9. Write a book
10. Own a boat

quasimoto
11-26-2007, 20:16
On the serious list mine would be:
White water raft the Colorado river.
Dive the Great Barrier reef
Hike the Grand Canyon from the North rim down and across to the south rim.

Probably the next one that I do, health permitting is the Grand Canyon.

BeachBunnyCrissy
11-27-2007, 19:07
With out getting two deep into this....

fall in love... again
get married
have some little ones
dive every chance I get
build my dream house
spend every day of my life trying to help others

I have been very privilaged to have done more in my past 24 yrs than some do in a lifetime so every now and then its good to focus on the little things.

BuzzF117
11-27-2007, 19:09
Lets see before I die.....

Get kids through college with no student loans
Howl at the moon on all Continents