PDA

View Full Version : Car Travel With Tanks

Schex
09-07-2009, 09:45
Hi all,

I'm moving from Vermont to Florida and am wondering if it's safe to make the three day trip with my tanks in the trunk of the car. Any tips for ensuring a safe trip, or should I sell the tanks up here and buy new ones once I arrive. Thanks for advice and opinions.

scubastud
09-07-2009, 09:52
I see no issue as long as you secure them well... special care to ensure the valve has no way of being damaged.

petronius
09-07-2009, 09:57
Would it be safer to use them up (down to ~500 psi or so) before travelling, or would it make a difference? I typically refill my tank before diving rather than after (that sounds like a major "duh!", but you know what I mean :) ), because I prefer to store it 'empty', so I'd probably feel marginally safer transporting a tank at lower pressure for a long trip...

Lulubelle
09-07-2009, 10:14
When are you moving? If soon, then I would agree with petronius. Otherwise if your car is parked in the sun and the inside gets really hot, you could have a problem. But if you are moving later on in the year, it probably won't matter as the inside of your car won't get hot enough to expand what is in your tanks by much. I have to lug mine into my condo clubhouse here at the beach because the inside of the car gets wickedly hot during the summer.

Flatliner
09-07-2009, 10:33
I don't think thermal expansion would be a big deal if the tanks are at 500psi or so. Even if it is, that is what the blow out disk is for. I wouldn't hesitate to move with them if they were mine.

Damselfish
09-07-2009, 11:28
I'd travel with them at 500psi rather than 3000 for peace of mind if nothing else, so you're not worrying about your car sitting in the sun. But there's certainly no reason to sell them.

cummings66
09-07-2009, 11:41
No reason at all to sell them. No matter what the pressure you have in them your car is not going to get hot enough to rupture the burst disk. Were it me I'd just do my last dives there and then pack them away for the trip.

petronius
09-07-2009, 11:56
No reason at all to sell them. No matter what the pressure you have in them your car is not going to get hot enough to rupture the burst disk. Were it me I'd just do my last dives there and then pack them away for the trip.

I was also thinking that a lower pressure would be safer in case the tanks got severely jostled at some point, for example if the vehicle got hit...

fisheater
09-07-2009, 12:57
From the math I've seen, there's chance that your car will get to the many hundreds of degrees needed to burst your burst disks.

The real danger would be from a collision.

CompuDude
09-07-2009, 13:01

I was also thinking that a lower pressure would be safer in case the tanks got severely jostled at some point, for example if the vehicle got hit...

That's pretty much a worst-case scenario, so if you're worried, sure, bleed them down to 500 psi, or even 200 psi. But personally, unless you're planning to leave your car baking in direct sunlight for days straight, I wouldn't worry in the slightest.

Frankly, dumping most of the gas will make the tanks lighter (by ~6 lbs each, so 18 lbs less to schlep across country) and save a little money on gas. Whether it saves enough gas money to refill the tanks, however, I'd doubt it. Maybe one fill.

No Misses
09-07-2009, 13:17
I live in south Florida. I often leave full cylinders in my car in the direct sunlight. I have never had an issue with it.

Look up "Ideal Gas Laws" for the math.

DMWiz
09-07-2009, 13:25
I live in south Florida. I often leave full cylinders in my car in the direct sunlight. I have never had an issue with it.

Look up "Ideal Gas Laws" for the math.

+100 :smiley20: It's not an issue with the temperature. If you want to sell them I will buy them from you and you can deliver them to FL for me!:smiley2:

When in FL are you moving to?

in_cavediver
09-07-2009, 14:31
When I do to N Florida cave diving, I'll schlep 10-12 tanks along the 900 mile trip with me. I take the tanks as I have them and until recently always brought them back full or in some cases - cave full. (search cave fill is you need clarification on that).

I have never had a problem - I just take care when packing to protect the valves and point the tanks in a way that if they should decide to become a rocket - they go away from me. The last part likely isn't needed but hey - it doesn't hurt.

comet24
09-07-2009, 14:46
I have driven from Maryland to FL, NC and some more local areas with full HP tanks. Left some in the FL sun for days with no problems. Done the same with deco bottles full of O2 although I don't think I ever left them in the sun.

Just make sure you pack them so they will not move around.

BuzzF117
09-07-2009, 15:03
fill them with 3000 psi of helium to reduce weight and get better gas mileage on your car............:smilie39:

scubajane
09-07-2009, 16:05
Sell them to me for $10 I will take good care of them!!! ;)

travel in a car should not be a problem

I guess i don't get the tanks :(

Tassie Diver
09-07-2009, 17:31
Using ideal gas laws (near enough for government work):

If your initial temp is 10 deg C and the final temp is 60 deg C, the pressure will increase by a factor of (60+273)/(10+273)=1.177

So if you are starting with 3000PSI at 10 deg C, the pressure at 60 deg C will be 3530PSI.

Just put the tanks in the car and drive!

jupitertreasures
09-14-2009, 11:13
Depends on the tanks as well.
If they're older AL 80's...I'd ditch them and buy new when you get here.
If they're steel...hang onto them.
Regardless, my only concern would be a Motor Vehicle Accident.
It'll never get hot enough to expand a tank to the point of explosion...besides, that's what burst disks are designed to prevent.

jupitertreasures
09-14-2009, 11:14
Where in Fla are you moving to?