PDA

View Full Version : Son has buyers remorse

TommyD
09-08-2009, 09:00
My son and I both recently bought SCUBA gear online, I bought of course from SCUBAToys, and he bought from the other major e-tailer (LP). He got a decent deal, but when he saw what I got and how much less I paid for it, coupled with the service, he finally admitted that I got the better deal. He needed to get some gauges, and his first choice was SCUBA Toys, so now he's part of the ST family as well:smiley2:

fisheater
09-08-2009, 10:24
AND you got to say "I told you so," too.

fire diver
09-08-2009, 12:00
I'm curious about something. At the time your son made his purchase, did he know that LP may or may not be an authorized dealer for any particular item? And that if NOT a dealer for some items, there was no factory warranty?

This is a big discussion over on SB right now, so I'm curious about the knowledge of first-time LP buyers.

DJBadfish
09-08-2009, 14:26
I bought alot of my gear from them last year after I got certified. I did not know they were not an authorized dealer until I tried to register the products I bought. That was a real pain. I still buy some items from LP, but when I have to buy Regs, etc again I will be sure to get them from an authorized dealer.

TommyD
09-08-2009, 17:27
He knew they weren't authorized for many brand names, and was willing to accept their in-store warranty. Only time will tell if it's worth it. I need to let him start making some of his own decisions now (with my suggestions). He's 17 now and he needs to learn (and make some mistakes).

navyhmc
09-08-2009, 20:38
He knew they weren't authorized for many brand names, and was willing to accept their in-store warranty. Only time will tell if it's worth it. I need to let him start making some of his own decisions now (with my suggestions). He's 17 now and he needs to learn (and make some mistakes).

The age old saga: To keep from making mistakes, you need to gain experience. To gain experience, you will make mistakes. (we don't normally mention, stop and listen to those who already made the mistakes.):smiley20:

Tassie Diver
09-08-2009, 20:50
Healthy attitude. Congrats!
:smiley32::smiley32::smiley32:

loadcp
09-08-2009, 21:58
I'm curious about something. At the time your son made his purchase, did he know that LP may or may not be an authorized dealer for any particular item? And that if NOT a dealer for some items, there was no factory warranty?

This is a big discussion over on SB right now, so I'm curious about the knowledge of first-time LP buyers.

I bought a few items from them knowing they are not an authorized dealer for my particular brand. But, with that in mind I only bought a wet suit and a newer mask. For big ticket items I stick to the authorized dealer.

Scuba_Lewis
09-11-2009, 08:13
I think that every online retailer had their strong points.

LP is good when you need something FAST. Like a dive flag or tank. I live overseas and to get something you ordered on a Monday in the mail by that Friday is something to write home about! That said, you will pay some crazy shipping prices there. My local dive group and I will often wait and make one big order for each other on LP just because of the shipping costs.

I love ST because of their amazing shipping and customer service and they are in my home town :) Seriously though, all my email questions were answered quickly and professionaly and they even through in some pens in the box for me and my friends!

Some times you need fast and sometimes you need good customer service. When you need both go to Scuba Toys :)