PDA

View Full Version : Wake Up Call!

SteveR
09-08-2009, 19:11
Well, I did my first OW dive in 20 years yesterday with a couple of 20 year old instructors. My general fitness level is fair...not where it should be so I was hoping for a very slow easy dive to give me time to play with all my new dive toys.

The dive was a shore entry requiring carrying full gear down a steep slope with loose rocks and sand and then a water entry through more small rocks and sand.

The two youngsters were obviously very fit and used to diving several times a week. There was no mercy for the old fat guy and I did my best to keep up while trying to play with my new dive computer. Kept running into somebody so I stopped playing and just tried to keep up. The dive itself was not so bad until I lost a fin. :smiley19: Had ankle weights on so I did not notice right away when the fin flew. Visibility was less than 5 feet so we could not locate it. The really nasty part was kicking back to shore with one fin while the nice 20 year old instructor practiced his carry techniques as he helped me to shore.

Then it was the climb back up the hill with full gear. Did I mention it was 105 degrees at the time?

Needless to say...I am now on my fitness recovery plan. I have already lost 10 pounds in a couple of weeks so that is helping but the body is slow and I feel it today.

So...I will be doing aerobic starting today and I will keep it up so I can continue in this wonderful sport. I now realize what I was missing for the past two decades.

Tassie Diver
09-08-2009, 21:47
Holy $#!t. All that and you're still going to keep going! Glad to hear you're okay.

If you ever end up with one fin again, try crossing your feet and doing a butterfly kick.

Desert_Diver
09-08-2009, 21:58
You Dixie Divers don't have anything to complain about. Lots of water down there in southern Utah.

But if you're ever up here and need an old fat man to dive with, give me a holler.

Art

scubastud
09-09-2009, 04:53
Welcome back!
I too re-entered the "sport" after twenty something years and can't remember why I left it..
Oh yea.. marriage, life,money,time,no dive buddy,the sun was in my eyes..

I am having a great time, meeting great people and an excuse to get away to cool places for vacation.

Krakenn
09-09-2009, 07:41
Well done pops. See you down there.

Kraks

WaScubaDude
09-09-2009, 11:18
Welcome to the old farts club. Took 18 years off, back and loving it again.
Keep diving as often as you can (I get out about 1x per wk), It gets easier and easier, and even more fun.
Might think about a course like AOW or Rescue. Are you a member of a dive club? Good way to find buddies and fun dives.
I will keep my eyes out for one Atomic split fin as well.:smiley20:

AfterDark
09-09-2009, 12:10
Hang in there SteveR! I too am getting back to diving after a long pause. At 55 I'm sure I'll feel my age after my "1st" dive. I'm at the gym 5 days a week. We have one at work so I go before work, it works well and I'm never late for work! Think about buying a boat! I'll be getting one over the winter when the prices come down and the economy gets worse. Nothing big or fancy just one that works for diving for a couple of people. Gear up and roll over the side like a fat seal!:smiley20:

SteveR
09-10-2009, 02:01
You Dixie Divers don't have anything to complain about. Lots of water down there in southern Utah.

But if you're ever up here and need an old fat man to dive with, give me a holler.

Art
Afterdark,
No boat for me...I did that years ago...a hole in the water you throw money into. I would rather sponge off of a nice well to do retired person and let them do all the work while I roll of the deck like a fat seal. :smiley36:

Art,
I will take you up on that as we get back to SLC several times a year to visit family. Same goes for you if you ever get down here.

Wascubadude,
I am on the list for AOW and most likely Rescue after that if all goes well. I know I need A LOT of water time to get back into the swim of things. Now all I need is an old fart buddy to go with me.

caburrid
09-13-2009, 15:24
The most important part is that you were out there. Good luck on the weight loss! It sounds like you are making good progress!

SteveR
09-17-2009, 00:54
Did another dive over the weekend. This was a Project Aware activity where a few of us cleaned out several submerged shore areas there were pretty full of boater and other folks trash.

We had to do a shore entry down a steep rocky embankment over loose sand and sandstone rocks. We slithered into the water and did a surface swim of well over 100 yards trying to stay away from fisherman on shore and in boats.

After a brief rest we descended and starting filling up large Onion bags with cans, bottles, bags and even towels and clothing. It was a lot of work hauling the bags around through the water. We were able to dump one bag on the shore for transfer to a truck but had to swim the other one all the way back to the starting point. That was a chore! Dragging a very stuffed bag weighing at least 80# underwater while being tired already was not my idea of a good time.

I did pretty well on my bouyancy control but sure sucked done the air.

The good news is we cleared out a lot of trash in a short period of time and I enjoyed doing it. I still need to work on fitness as pushing my whale-like body through the water with 80# of trash on board was a real test of my cardio.

More dives scheduled this week so more chances to learn and improve my techniques and fitness.

TJDiver
09-17-2009, 08:20
Yep, another fifty-something'er here that just got back into the sport after a long hiatus. My 13-year old son recently expressed an interest, so I just took the OW course again with him. Luckily, a few months before this all came about, I had decided to get back in better shape. By the time we took the course, I had dropped almost 30 pounds, and actually outdid the young whippersnappers in the swim/tread portion of the pool work. Good luck with the weight loss and cardio, Steve...you can do it.

ScottW
09-17-2009, 14:41
I did pretty well on my bouyancy control but sure sucked done the air.
With an extra 80lbs of trash I would be a hoover also.

The good news is we cleared out a lot of trash in a short period of time and I enjoyed doing it. I still need to work on fitness as pushing my whale-like body through the water with 80# of trash on board was a real test of my cardio.
Nice work and thanks for help keeping our lakes clean.

More dives scheduled this week so more chances to learn and improve my techniques and fitness.
That's the right attitude. Keep diving and practicing.

A few of us are heading to So Utah the second weekend in October. You're welcome to join us.

SteveR
09-18-2009, 01:31
A few of us are heading to So Utah the second weekend in October. You're welcome to join us.

Let me know the particulars when you know when. I would love to have folks to dive with in SLC too.

musicpeacemaker
11-17-2009, 21:14
I have an idea you all come to Sarasota Florida and we all dive together?

Glub000
11-17-2009, 22:33
Good luck, I'm also trying to get back after a long dry spell. By the way, I found the 10 pounds you lost.

Fireplug
01-26-2010, 22:34
Maybe your lost fin will find my lost Mares fin on the Spiegel Grove...they'll date, get married, have a whole bunch of little fins....