PDA

View Full Version : Diving after knee surgery

Tekdivr
09-08-2009, 20:28
My wife had knee surgery and was wondering if anyone has had a similar surgery. She had a distal realignment and a carticel implantation. The doctor is not a diver and when asked said nine months to a year before she can dive again. Has anyone experienced this type of surgery and if so how long was it before you were able to dive again? She is going to have her PT contact the DAN physicians but thought we'd try to find someone else who may have gone through the same situation.

comet24
09-08-2009, 20:31
I think your on the right track with DAN. I had an knee injury and my doc was clueless. DAN basically told me what I already thought but was reassuring to hear it from them and the explanation that went along with there recommendations.

Tekdivr
09-08-2009, 20:52
I think your on the right track with DAN. I had an knee injury and my doc was clueless. DAN basically told me what I already thought but was reassuring to hear it from them and the explanation that went along with there recommendations.

She called them on her own and was told that if her Doc contacted them they would have one of their Doc's go over the case and give them some dive specific recommendations. Since her surgeon is much too busy we're hoping that her therapist can get the info from Dan. She's dying to get back in the water, but on the other hand doesn't want to do it prematurely.

comet24
09-08-2009, 21:24
The concern with my injury was the possibility of ignoring sings of DSC in the knee. I was on anti inflammatory drugs(no surgery) and my knee would get sore with overuse. DAN was concerned I could ignore discomfit believing it was just normal for my knee because of my injury. There was no concern of diving injuring my knee. I could increase heeling time if I over did it and it could become sore but no threat to make the injury worse.

This was even worse because I was heading for out for a wreck diving trip and all the dives would be deep, long and include deco. This trip had been planned for months and I didn't want to miss it. In the end I just paid close attention to my knee. Did a little extra time on the hangs and all was fine.

Actually my knee felt better after the trip.

Good luck to your wife.

Tekdivr
09-08-2009, 21:32
Thanks Comet. She was told that her cartilage implant would be half grown in six months and fully grown in twelve. The six month point comes Oct 20th and she's hoping that she can be released to dive before next April. Once she hits twelve months they have to go back in and remove screws. That will take her out for a couple of more months. I know she's really wanting to take a dive trip before then, but unfortunately she's kind of at the mercy of the Doc. Hopefully DAN can give her a little more hope!:smiley20:

mrm777
09-22-2009, 15:18
My buddy took a trip after knee surgery....he used a brace for most of the dives. Also, put on his BC after entry....took it off and handed it up for exits. No problems.

BuzzF117
09-22-2009, 16:49
After hip replacement Dr said I could dive when I could carry my gear but wife made me wait longer...

Tekdivr
09-22-2009, 17:17
After hip replacement Dr said I could dive when I could carry my gear but wife made me wait longer...

Well the Doc told her 12 months. She called DAN, cuz she didn't agree with that statement, and they told her it would depend more so on her individual progress than setting a timeframe in stone. From what I understand, the surgery she had is much worse than a complete knee replacement. She's come a long way and we're hoping to make it to Little Cayman in January for her birthday. That will of been 10 1/2 months. Fingers are crossed!

navyhmc
09-22-2009, 22:22
You're on the right track talking with DAN. More than the surgeon, have the PT talk with them and see what type of recovery it need and especially what type of exercises and strengthening she needs to do to dive. Not a PT, but I can say that there are different stresses put on your knees when diving/kicking than with walking. Most PT's are well versed in what is needed to bring you up to speed walking, jogging and running, but not so much when it comes to swimming with fins on. Different exercises are needed. Good luck to both of you!

Tekdivr
09-22-2009, 22:36
You're on the right track talking with DAN. More than the surgeon, have the PT talk with them and see what type of recovery it need and especially what type of exercises and strengthening she needs to do to dive. Not a PT, but I can say that there are different stresses put on your knees when diving/kicking than with walking. Most PT's are well versed in what is needed to bring you up to speed walking, jogging and running, but not so much when it comes to swimming with fins on. Different exercises are needed. Good luck to both of you!

Thanks Navy! That's exactly what she did this week during her therapy trip. The biggest drawback is that the Doc at DAN wasn't familiar enough with the surgery she had. Guess it's a newer procedure, but has a good success rate. He did, however, give her PT some good tips as related to diving and it was much appreciated. My wife is actually going to be on the local news soon. They're doing a story about this procedure and want to interview her, since she's fairly young and has had a good recovery so far. It's hard to see someone, as active as she is, to be this restricted. Hopefully after having three surgeries in the past twelve months, this one will take care of it. Then there is of course the screw removal in April.....:smiley13:

navyhmc
09-22-2009, 23:05
One other thingabout PT...if she needs it, there is a new therapy that actually uses a tread mill that can be lowered into a pool to put more or less wieght on the knee that helps speed recovery.

Ask her PT if that will help as well I can't find anything about it on line, but I know that the program works here in Wichita. (Kansas Joint and Spine Institute) They've worked with folks like Mike Bell when he had knee replacement.

maverick
09-22-2009, 23:17
I had a hip replacement and the doc. said that exercise was good 2 get that mussle in condition again.Walking ,swimming were all good just can't do high impact on the hip like running or jumping. That was a VA doc. who fixed me up.

lt.dan58
09-23-2009, 00:50
i blew out my knee at the end of '03 while in the Marine Corps... had surgery in Feb '04... got hit by a car on my motorcycle in May '04... had surgery again... 6 months of rehab... was running and swimming again within a year... not pain free but tolerable.... wasnt diving at the time but there is still discomfort while diving... i guess what im trying to say is it is up to your wifes pain tolerance... it takes time but it will get better... best of luck