PDA

View Full Version : PADI Instructor candidates

namabiru
09-08-2009, 23:46
Is there anyone else here who is preparing for their IDC right now? How are you finding the study? It's ironic that I thought DM had a lot of material-- and then my boxes from Padi finally turned up. Heh...

Don Wray
09-08-2009, 23:49
The truth is, you need both...the first part of the IDC is the AI, you will be required to pretty much do all of the DM test again. The Instructor part is fairly easy compared to the AI.

namabiru
09-09-2009, 23:41
Yes, that's right. You retest on the 5 sections not directly pertaining to DM. I've got a good course director, though, who has written a checklist of the things you should do to prepare for the IDC. As I've got time off due to Ramadan (shorter working day), I'm plowing through right now.

It's still quite a lot of study, though.

mitsuguy
09-10-2009, 05:41
Learn the Instructor Manual... Learn where everything is located in it... Learn how to find things that you remember reading, but don't recall exactly where it is...

during your IE, you will be given a 50 question general standards exam, timed, and its all in the instructor manual... they will ask you questions about standards, and what if's, to see if you understand where to find it, and how to interpret the answer from the instructor manual...

this part of the IE is a pass/no pass kind of thing - other parts of the IE are allowed to be made up, but, the ones that are not are the General Standards exam, your rescue evaluation (practice both pocket mask and mouth to mouth, as what you have to demonstrate will be random), and your open water presentation... Those three you must pass the first time through, else you will be retaking the IE... the other portions, you are allowed a makeup - confined water presentation, skills assessment, classroom presentation, and you can make up one, only one, of the theory exams...

ScottW
09-10-2009, 08:37
during your IE, you will be given a 50 question general standards exam, timed, and its all in the instructor manual... they will ask you questions about standards, and what if's, to see if you understand where to find it, and how to interpret the answer from the instructor manual...
Remember the S&P section of the IE exam is open book/CD
Over the years I have watched a number of candidates think they know the manual inside and out and try to do this portion closed book. Reduce the stress level and open the book.

mitsuguy
09-10-2009, 13:41
Over the years I have watched a number of candidates think they know the manual inside and out and try to do this portion closed book. Reduce the stress level and open the book.

most definitely... but, at the same time, its a good idea to have a fairly thorough knowledge of the standards... I'm not sure one could look up every single answer in the alotted time, close, if they knew where to find everything, maybe...

rawalker
09-10-2009, 18:49

Can you used a laptop and the digital version?
If so the search features should be a big advantage.

mitsuguy
09-10-2009, 20:46
Can you used a laptop and the digital version?
If so the search features should be a big advantage.

yes, and, it was...

Don Wray
09-10-2009, 21:49
Make sure it's a legit version of the digital manual..I had to have the original box it came in.

mitsuguy
09-10-2009, 21:51
Make sure it's a legit version of the digital manual..I had to have the original box it came in.

good point

namabiru
09-12-2009, 23:58

Heh... I agree with you there. Why would people make things harder on themselves? It's one thing if you are definitely sure of an answer, but there are also a few good charts in the manual which are good to reference.

I've got a nice checklist my course director sent me, with hints on preparing. There is a 3-day pre-IDC workshop that's free with my IDC that I'm attending. But there are thing on the list I would have never thought of doing myself, such as reviewing the DVDs AND pro versions, doing the knowledge reviews, doing the exams, practicing particular skills outside the 20 Basic Points and developing demonstration quality...

mitsuguy
09-13-2009, 05:43
and developing demonstration quality...

if you want a real good idea of a perfect demonstration, search youtube for "divemaster skills" and look for 5 videos in total from the username "GoProUtilaDiveCentre"

Thats where I did my IDC, and everyone is expected to do the skills as perfect as you see there...

namabiru
10-21-2009, 04:30
Yes, I've seen those videos, and I agree they are well-done. I can understand why the operation has a good reputation.

Well... T-minus 3 weeks until departure. I've started reviewing my materials again, and the knowledge seems to be sticking somewhat. Physics is still a challenge, but then again math has never been my strong suit. I'm hoping that having a few tutors in the Philippines will help, and provide another perspective. My DM instructor did what he could do to help, but he's also a chemical engineer with an MBA so math comes quite naturally to him. It's tough to help someone who is struggling when the task comes naturally to you, but we'll get there I'm sure.