PDA

View Full Version : Just Purchased Neoprene Beanie

legallybeth
09-09-2009, 19:42
I've had a lot of trouble with my long hair getting tangled in my mask. I tried using a swim cap, but it kept sliding off. I just bought a neoprene beanie and I think this is the answer. Having a chin strap will help keep it in place better than just a cap - and hopefully it will be less restrictive than a full hood. What has your experience been?

Travelnsj
09-09-2009, 20:40
I do not use it for the same reason you do....I use it for when the "promised" water temps are not 82+. I find to to add a bit of warmth and worth the $$:smiley20:

Lulubelle
09-09-2009, 20:45
I've had a lot of trouble with my long hair getting tangled in my mask. I tried using a swim cap, but it kept sliding off. I just bought a neoprene beanie and I think this is the answer. Having a chin strap will help keep it in place better than just a cap - and hopefully it will be less restrictive than a full hood. What has your experience been?

Works like a charm! I have very fine hair. Scap cap would not stay on my head, using nothing would tear my hair and give me layers I didn't ask for. The beanie makes me look like a total dork, but who cares, it works. And I can easily comb my hair out afterwards. Good choice.

Splitlip
09-09-2009, 20:51

They make you look like a dork, but certainly keep the hair from your mask.

These look better, are more visible and have a reflective strip on most versions.

Lulubelle
09-09-2009, 21:01

They make you look like a dork, but certainly keep the hair from your mask.

These look better, are more visible and have a reflective strip on most versions.

Didn't stay on my head, even in the quarry.

Tassie Diver
09-10-2009, 07:37
I wish I still had that problem! In the old days when I had hair, I found plaiting was the best way to keep it under control.

These days I just shave every couple of days. No problems;)

MagnaBoxer
09-10-2009, 08:14
Make the neoprene banadana style doo-rags. My wife has long hair and had tried all the beanies, scuba doo-rags. She hated the beanies and the doo-rags would start sliding off half way thru the dive. Last Christmas in Bonaire we were in a dive shop and saw this one. She says it's hands down better than anything else she's tried before. About 75 dives on it now and still like brand new.

scubagirlj
09-10-2009, 08:50
i was at the local HD store and found a cotton do-rag - works like a charm but need to get it and hair wet first-not going for heat retention just to keep hair out of face and not knotted around mask strap

TRACI
09-10-2009, 09:35
I bought the Scap a couple of months ago, thought it would look "cool" compared to my beanie. Only used a couple of dives, and it did not want to stay on my head. So now I am back to the very unfashionable beanie.......

Lulubelle
09-10-2009, 09:36
I bought the Scap a couple of months ago, thought it would look "cool" compared to my beanie. Only used a couple of dives, and it did not want to stay on my head. So now I am back to the very unfashionable beanie.......

I too feel very put together and chic in my beanie...not. But it works well and stays in place.

TRACI
09-10-2009, 11:41

I too feel very put together and chic in my beanie...not. But it works well and stays in place.

I gave up trying to look "cute" diving along time ago :grinno:

rayaa3
09-10-2009, 13:55

I'm so glad I don't have hair.

CompuDude
09-10-2009, 15:03

Amen!

Although, the sun-protection from the scap caps is looking fairly appealing.

Anyone have one they want to part with, since they don't stay on hairy heads very well? (judging by the complaints here) I'd like to see how well they adhere to my dome. And downright cheap is better than merely inexpensive. :smiley36:

Splitlip
09-10-2009, 17:38

I gave up trying to look "cute" diving along time ago :grinno:

A very wise man once said " If you can't look good doing it, it ain't worth doing". Matthew 6. psalm 7:23.

Splitlip
09-10-2009, 17:41

Amen Brother.

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu91/mm2002_bucket/tim.jpg

Oh, wait...:smiley36:

caburrid
09-10-2009, 19:59
Does ST carry these? I haven't seen them on the site. I'd likely buy one!

Splitlip
09-10-2009, 20:03
What thread is this? What the HE 2X hockey sticks are you talking about.

sunshine121
09-16-2009, 22:26
I have struggled with the hair issue for a long time. There are a couple things that help me. First, is applying some leave-in conditioner right after I get out of the water to help the comb out. I usually braid my hair, then clip my bangs back. To keep the strays out of my mask and strap though, I have used this. I got it at REI and love it for it's many uses. I put in on before donning my mask and it really has helped. It's called the Buff Original Buff. It also makes putting a hood on a little easier and is great for the boat ride home when my bangs are usually trying to blind me.

Buff Original Buff at REI.com (http://www.rei.com/product/691367)

tofucute
09-23-2009, 23:25
Hair Glove w or w/o beanie. (water sport one)
my hair goes down to the small of my back.
love the hair glove.
:smiley20:

gNats
09-24-2009, 08:12
I've had a beanie since about January. I find that the beanie, under my 7mm hood, gives me great warmth in the Winter midwest diving temps when the water at depth is barely in the 40s and the surface temps are colder.

tiggrr
09-24-2009, 13:34

Check these fashion statements out....

Accessories (http://terrapinwetsuits.com/accessor.htm)

I always wear either a beanie or a hood. No matter how cold or warm the water is. I just get cold easily and it always feels better to have something on my head.

TRACI
09-24-2009, 13:53

I always wear either a beanie or a hood. No matter how cold or warm the water is. I just get cold easily and it always feels better to have something on my head.

I love these, I almost ordered the Shrek hood, I figure if your going to look like a nerd, might as well go all out! LOL

Splitlip
09-24-2009, 16:54
Definitely Foo2.

http://terrapinwetsuits.com/images/new_princess_minihood.jpg

Lulubelle
09-24-2009, 17:21
[quote=tiggrr;334142]

I love these, I almost ordered the Shrek hood, I figure if your going to look like a nerd, might as well go all out! LOL

I agree TRACI, I am so going to get one of these. Maybe a shark one if they make it, or a Fox.

Foo2
09-24-2009, 20:59
Definitely Foo2.

I have said for the longest time that I want one of these. Just never coughed up the cash for them.

CompuDude
09-24-2009, 22:43
Definitely Foo2.

I have said for the longest time that I want one of these. Just never coughed up the cash for them.

You, too?

IndyDiver
09-24-2009, 22:49
Definitely Foo2.

You, too?

I'm not sure exactly how much I should read into this post.

Lulubelle
09-24-2009, 23:35
Definitely Foo2.

You, too?

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Gotta love a guy who is comfortable in his manhood.

navyhmc
09-25-2009, 08:40
I'd go for the shrek one...might be fun.

tiggrr
09-25-2009, 10:06
:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Gotta love a guy who is comfortable in his manhood.

No doubt. Here's my buddy, Phil, in my bunny beanie......hopping along the reef. :smiley36: That's one Giant, Scary Bunny!! LOL

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb305/scubatiggrr/11.jpg

gee
09-25-2009, 10:16
A beanie is my favorite piece of neoprene.

Foo2
09-25-2009, 16:15
Definitely Foo2.

You, too?

Compu...something tells me that you wouldn't fit in with your dive buddies with a beanie like that...it's not all black. However, I feel everyone deserves to be the princess of the reef if they want to be.:smiley36:

vvitola
01-28-2010, 22:23
I apply a lot of conditioner prior to the diving and then I wear my bodyglove neoprene beanie! No really sexy! But hate to struggle with my long hair and the mask! I open a little hole on top of the beanie to prevent formation of an air bubble inside!

Doug B
02-04-2010, 22:05
I'd go for the shrek one...might be fun.

The wife got me the shrek beanie. I can't wait to try it out.... it will be fun to wear the next time I DM with a class.

I'm thinking about cutting away the material so my ears can stick out though. I don't like the way a hood makes it difficult to hear underwater.

petiteladydiver
02-20-2010, 16:41
I recently purchased a "mini cap" from Terrapin Wetsuits. Accessories (http://www.terrapinwetsuits.com/accessor.htm)
They come in 3 or 5 mm neoprene. What is great for me is that it comes in sizes based upon the circumferance of you head. The one that I purchased was a mosaic pattern (black on sides with mulitcolored stripe from front to back). The hood is held in place by a velcro strap that fits under your chin. I have not had the opportunity to dive with it yet, but I will test it out when I go to Florida in a few weeks.:smiley20:

RogerAg
02-20-2010, 18:54
I wear a Beanie all the time, and sometimes I also wear a hood as well.
In fact just look at the photo of me on the left of this post.
I am wearing a hooded vest with a beanie over it.
I always put my mask on first because if the hood or beanie moves a little then my mask also moves.
I have a DuRag sown onto the beanie so I don't look too much like a dork.:Thud:

ing
02-20-2010, 22:38
I always wear a beanie no matter what the water temperature is.

Doug B
02-21-2010, 18:42

I got the Shrek beanie for xmas this year. I haven't tried it in the water yet.

inventor
02-21-2010, 18:58
Wish I had a pic. One of our local divers has a beanie made into a Long John Silvers hat.:smilie39:

bostondivegirl
02-22-2010, 06:59
I wear a squid.
I love it and it keeps my hair our of my face. I just have the mask strap over the cap and it stays in place.
http://www.joediveramerica.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/CA-P0XX.jpg

Diver Kat
02-22-2010, 07:36
I wear a squid.
I love it and it keeps my hair our of my face. I just have the mask strap over the cap and it stays in place.
Yeah ... I wear a squid as well to keep the hair out of the face. Never tried the strap over over the cap though, might have to check that out! Can't deal with the beanies as I don't like anything under my chin, or too constrictive. I have a hood, but only wear it when I get desperate. Beanies & hoods just make me claustrophobic.

bostondivegirl
02-23-2010, 06:28
The mask strap over the cap holds it in place since it has a tendency to float off.

Trunk_Monkey
02-27-2010, 23:41
"It is better to look good than to feel good." -Billy Crystal (SNL)

ing
02-27-2010, 23:53
I don't like a hood but I've been very happy with my Henderson beanie. It keeps my hair under control, adds warmth and my mask stays put!

vvitola
04-21-2010, 21:41
I wear a neoprene beanie, a 1.5 Deepsea seehood (since it is 1.5, it is very soft, I do not feel constricted) I also have a neoprene bandana. I really cannot deal with my hair all over! I think the beanie looks cute, the hood looks profesional and the bandana makes you feel sort of cool, so I have 3 different deciding on how I feel! You will love diving with your beanie!

scubajane
04-22-2010, 19:58
I have a squid that has no chin strap and covers my ears. It is the best because it keeps my hair out of my face and does not choke me. hubby has started wearing one to prevent a sun-burned head...(no hair)

Kimbo
05-26-2010, 10:26
I'm a neophyte on the beanies and doo-rags but seriously need help. Neither of these go over your ears, right? My ears are still plugged from diving 3 weeks ago and wearing a hood. My hair is destroyed. I need to try one of these.

Splitlip
05-26-2010, 19:41
I wear a squid.
Yeah ... I wear a squid as well to keep the hair out of the face.

The term Squid which is a Derivative of U.S. military culture , was given to : Newly-inducted Sailors in San Diego during the 60’s for they would sometimes buy an inexpensive two-stroke motorcycle for transportation while on shore, even if they had never ridden before. So, there were large numbers of unprotected, inexperienced "marine life" squirting through traffic in a hurry and leaving a trail of black "ink" (smoke) behind them. "Squid" was also a common derogatory term for sailors: Recent inductees were called "squids" by more senior sailors, and All sailors were called "squids" by Marines, Based on similarity between the way a "squid" rides and an actual squid swims. Squids can appear unable to change direction while swimming, without first coming to a near complete stop. However, once the squid does stop and change directions, it can very quickly accelerate back to its regular swimming speed. Beginning motorcyclists commonly have trouble negotiating turns, and must slow down to unnecessarily slow speed, while at the same time have a tendency to ride very fast on the straight sections of the road.

Often young, these young sailors (squids) are identified by their reckless abandon (speeding, wheelies, stoppies, etc,) and by their inappropriate attire , ( Shorts, backwards ball caps, flip-flops, wife-beater T-Shirts, etc)
They could also be called "squids" because of Paramedics' slang for motorcyclists. In a bad accident without leathers or other good protection, it's possible for the torso to become detached from the legs. At that point, the intestines can drag along behind the torso - thus giving a grisly "tentacled body" appearance

navyhmc
05-26-2010, 20:36
Tim, that has got to be the best description as to why these morons who ride crotch rockets are called squids. Which up until now was why I took exception to the term as I AM A SQUID!!! of the navy variety. Thanks!

Kryssa
06-16-2010, 13:35
Definitely Foo2.

omg love it!!!

Kimbo
07-08-2010, 09:20
OK, so I spent the $25 on the Buff as mentioned earlier in this thread. Great item, comfortable, you forget you're wearing it - literally. so when I climbed back in the zodiak while fighting swells and handing off my equipment I realize it had slid off my head when I removed my mask and now lies at the bottom of the deep blue sea. Grrrr....

Diver Kat
07-08-2010, 09:53
OK, so I spent the $25 on the Buff as mentioned earlier in this thread. Great item, comfortable, you forget you're wearing it - literally. so when I climbed back in the zodiak while fighting swells and handing off my equipment I realize it had slid off my head when I removed my mask and now lies at the bottom of the deep blue sea. Grrrr....

That's a bummer! I have 2 of the buffs but have never used them for diving. I use mine when doing yard-work. I thought the material would get too heavy when wet and slide off.

If you need a replacement, REI.com has a few colors marked down to $13.93 ...

Kimbo
07-08-2010, 15:53
I'm on it! Thanks Kat!

Diver Kat
07-08-2010, 15:58
Hey Kimbo .... before you lost it, did you like wearing the Buff? And how did you fold it to wear? I may have to give it a try next trip .....

Kimbo
07-08-2010, 16:49
It was one of those "hurry up hurry up get in the water" dives (from a boat on foreign waters) so I just put it on my neck and pulled up and over my whole head and hair and let it hang (I have long hair) before putting my mask over it. I did not notice the weight thing at all. I totally forgot I had it on. My hair wasn't flying around my face or getting tangled up in the mask - really excellent. I definitely recommend using one if you have any of those issues. I just have to be more careful I guess. I feel pretty foolish for losing it. Just try not to forget you're wearing it!

Kimbo
07-08-2010, 18:23
Kat - I just purchased the discount Buffs. While the colors are a little weird I'm not a fashionista so who really cares?! Thanks for the heads up!

Diver Kat
07-08-2010, 21:20
Kat - I just purchased the discount Buffs. While the colors are a little weird I'm not a fashionista so who really cares?! Thanks for the heads up!
Glad to help .... and thanks for the info! I will try it out next time I go diving!

jans
07-09-2010, 08:18
[quote=tiggrr;334142]

I agree TRACI, I am so going to get one of these. Maybe a shark one if they make it, or a Fox.

After looking at these cute hoods, I couldnt resist ordering one. (free time at work and a credit card make me a dangerous woman). I got the Dive-a-Saurus. I chill very easily on multiple dive days so I am hoping this helps. Thanks Ladies!!