PDA

View Full Version : What the hell was that?

rayaa3
09-12-2009, 12:09
OK - so I was thinking about something this morning...

Last time we were in Coz (last July) we did a night dive and noticed something at night that we swear wasn't there during the day (we've dove paradise reef many times during the day and never seen it).

The sea creature in question....or whatever I was looking at...seemed to be a large tentacle that extended from teh reef into the small sand bars around them. It was not animated, I did not see it move, but my wife and I both noticed many of them and wondered what they were. After the dive we both mentioned them and were suprised we have never noticed them during the day. I would say I saw them extend 2-4 feet off reef heads into sand bars...it was almost like the reef itself was laying out a tenticle into off the reef into the sand.

I would describe the tenticle as about 3 inches thick (looked a little thicker, but you know what water does). I didn't touch it, though I was dieing to flip one over and inspect it closer (this is the kind of thing that happens in the movies right before a sea monster eats someone, so no thank you).

We noticed them mostly around the edges of the reef under neath small over hangs no more than 2-3ft high. We were not in more than 40ft of water at any point.

Anyone ever notice anything like this and have any thoughts about what it is? I didn't get any pictures, because I don't take the camera on night dives (too much to keep up with, between my primary light, and the camera/strobe setup).

just wondering.

Ray

nrembis
09-12-2009, 12:19
Back in 1990 I saw the same thing you describe while diving in Bimini, I knew for fact it wasnt there during the daylight as I was on that reef several hours earlier.....never did find out what it was...some of the tentacle were 10ft long or better and 3-4" diameter

my dive buddy and I were too afraid to touch it

DevilDiver
09-12-2009, 12:36
It is called a Tiger Tail, related to the Sea Cucumber.

(Holothuria thomasi)

Mostly come out at night to forage, the base of the specimen remains secured to and inside of the shelter of the reef while the body is extended in search of food.

http://www.robertosozzani.it/Cuba2/images/oloturia.JPG
Photo from: Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber (http://roatan-diving.com/articles/roatan-articles/roatan-diving/99-tiger-tail-sea-cucumber)

rayaa3
09-12-2009, 13:59
That's it! Mystery solved...thanks for providing picture, can't wait to show it to the wife.

nrembis
09-12-2009, 15:06
yep, thats what I saw too, only we saw like 8 or 10 sticking out of the reef, was scary looking to me as back then I had less than 20 dives on my belt and the sea monster thought rayaa says crossed my mind, wasnt sure if it would grab me or not....hehe :)

Side note to that very same night dive, I got brushed by a 10ft bull shark that I didnt see coming, that got me nervous pretty good and I didnt do another night dive for about 1 1/2 years :(

DevilDiver
09-12-2009, 15:11
I think these are really cool, they do look very strange.

The first time I saw one it was on a night dive in Cozumel on a moon lit night. I was at the back of the group (of course) and when I flashed my light over this "thing" it retracted inside the reef. I only caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye so I stopped and when back under the large ledge to inspect just in time to see what I thought was some kind of large tentacle retracting into the reef. By then the group had moved on and I started freaking out thinking this "thing" was attached to some kind of sea monster and I was "that guy" in the movies who after getting it on with the leading ladies "hot" but stupid best friend lagged behind the group and disappeared.

Go figure...........

DMWiz
09-12-2009, 15:38
I only caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye so I stopped and when back under the large ledge to inspect just in time to see what I thought was some kind of large tentacle retracting into the reef. By then the group had moved on...

This is exactly how scary movies start... don't do that :smilie40:

petronius
09-13-2009, 00:51
I think these are really cool, they do look very strange.

The first time I saw one it was on a night dive in Cozumel on a moon lit night. I was at the back of the group (of course) and when I flashed my light over this "thing" it retracted inside the reef. I only caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye so I stopped and when back under the large ledge to inspect just in time to see what I thought was some kind of large tentacle retracting into the reef. By then the group had moved on and I started freaking out thinking this "thing" was attached to some kind of sea monster and I was "that guy" in the movies who after getting it on with the leading ladies "hot" but stupid best friend lagged behind the group and disappeared.

Go figure...........

Man, if I saw one of those without knowing what it was, it would scare the living snot out of me - especially if it 'appeared' at a place I'd already visited. Too cool...

Okc_diver
09-13-2009, 13:21
I saw something like that on my first night dive last May. It looked like it was only around 2 feet long.

cowgirldiver
09-14-2009, 13:03
In July, in Cozumel, I actually took a picture of one. I thought it must be some kind of sea cucumber but didn't realize it was so unusual to see one during the day.http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/4/7/9/2/dscn0970.jpg

mitsuguy
09-14-2009, 13:37
they are all over the place.... Utila, USVI, etc... come out at night, and some of them retract when you shine a light on them...

navyhmc
09-14-2009, 20:05
Still, the stuff for a "B" monster movie!!!!

cowgirldiver
09-17-2009, 13:36
When the divemaster pointed it out to me, he didn't seem in the least bit worried and so....being the trusting soul that I am, I wasn't worried either. Now, if it had been some of the guys I usually dive with....that would have been another matter.