PDA

View Full Version : Importance of Retractors

Travelnsj
08-28-2007, 18:44
Do all of you use some type of retractor or snap bolts to hold your equipment close?.....on many of my travels I notice dangling octos and computers…..I have seen people go into plate Corals with one of their dangling items will slip in and then they rise…guess what? The coral goes with them….I try to tell people during the surface interval to please tuck their stuff away and I have even during a dive gone up to them and tried to tuck their dangling things into the BC or a ring.

For the preservation of our corals…..it is so important that we do not bust this stuff up…get retractors!....They are cheap and you can get them on ScubaToys!

underwaterdan
08-28-2007, 18:51
Keep it close! It makes your gear last longer and helps keep the dive nice for the next diver. Plus it saves air and makes the dive better if you have less "drag"

namabiru
08-28-2007, 18:52
I agree with you. As I find a retractor doesn't work well for my octo, I simply coil the hose and keep it out of my BCD pocket. Nor can I manage to keep it on the little ball.

As for my computer/SPG, I am going to try a clip retractor on my upcoming dive trip.

reservecops
08-28-2007, 18:58
Love my retractor for my computer/gauge console.

scubasamurai
08-28-2007, 19:42
actually i have a retractor for my compass and love it. i have a simple strap holding my other gear and now i am looking at another retractor for my flashlight and camera

Splitlip
08-28-2007, 20:17
I agree that for the good of the reefs and equipment, something must be used to secure regs and consoles.
In certain applications I can see retractors, but there are better alternatives to them IMO.
for example...
Ditch the console and put the computer and compass on your wrists and clip off the SPG.
If you want to stick with the console clip it across your chest. If need be use a piece of surgical tubing between the boltsnap and the console.
If you use an octo, switch second stages and put the primary on the yellow hose (under your arm) add a swivel and use a necklace for your secondary.
Frankly, I can't think of anywhere else a console could be considered unless we are talking knives and lights. A little inspector gadget though.

terrillja
08-28-2007, 20:32
One that is a bit suspect is the way that the rental octos are attached at my LDS- they are held with brass swivel clips, so unless you can get that thing detached quickly, your buddy is going to be using your octo while 4" from your chest.

I personally have a retractor for my console, and use the clip that Oceanic provides, along with an octo holder, yank it, it comes loose, yank the console, it comes loose.

Splitlip
08-28-2007, 20:37
One that is a bit suspect is the way that the rental octos are attached at my LDS- they are held with brass swivel clips, so unless you can get that thing detached quickly, your buddy is going to be using your octo while 4" from your chest.

That is not good.
A better way to do that is attach the bolt snap to the Octo reg with an O-ring. If the "donee" just pulls, it will break free, leaving the boltsnap attached to the d-ring.

(Inspector Gadget must die.)

greyzen
08-28-2007, 20:50
yeah, if people don't clip their stuff off... I think I should be allowed to cut it away from them to help them understand what it feels like for years of hard work (cost of the gear) to be destroyed in seconds.

plot
08-28-2007, 21:10
Last weekend Dive Buddy A got bashed in the head by Dive Buddy B's dangling light. I, being Dive Buddy C, chuckled a bit.

also, i think the octo necklace and donating your primary is by far the best solution for your octo situations. With rental gear you're still SOL though.

ian
08-28-2007, 21:13
I agree with you. As I find a retractor doesn't work well for my octo, I simply coil the hose and keep it out of my BCD pocket. Nor can I manage to keep it on the little ball.

As for my computer/SPG, I am going to try a clip retractor on my upcoming dive trip.

Try using a snorkle keeper. Do the old pull-through thing on one ring and a D-ring on your BC near your left shoulder. Use the other end of the snorkle keeper to caputure your octo. With the hose routed under your right arm, it can't get away and bang anything. The snorkle keeper is cheap so, even if your buddy rips it getting at your octo, BFD. Usually, though, the octo just pops out without any problems.

Try it! You'll like it! I ga-run-tee eet!

yeah, if people don't clip their stuff off... I think I should be allowed to cut it away from them to help them understand what it feels like for years of hard work (cost of the gear) to be destroyed in seconds.

Oooo! Now I understand why I have a great big KNIFE underwater with me!:smiley32::smiley36:

Travelnsj
08-28-2007, 21:22

Some of the corals I have seen destroyed....I agree with you...:smiley20:

Travelnsj
08-28-2007, 21:24
I agree that for the good of the reefs and equipment, something must be used to secure regs and consoles.
In certain applications I can see retractors, but there are better alternatives to them IMO.
for example...
Ditch the console and put the computer and compass on your wrists and clip off the SPG.
If you want to stick with the console clip it across your chest. If need be use a piece of surgical tubing between the boltsnap and the console.
If you use an octo, switch second stages and put the primary on the yellow hose (under your arm) add a swivel and use a necklace for your secondary.
Frankly, I can't think of anywhere else a console could be considered unless we are talking knives and lights. A little inspector gadget though.

Wow you keep it tight....that is the way it should be...like to see a pic of your getup.

Splitlip
08-28-2007, 21:25
In addition to the snorkel keeper, keep these with you for the console if you rent.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Image/Product/Full/aqudhh.jpg (http://www.leisurepro.com/ProductImage/AQUDHH.html?PopUp=1)

Or even these if the snorkel keeper is too "complex" :)http://www.leisurepro.com/Image/Product/Full/aquoh2.jpg (http://www.leisurepro.com/ProductImage/AQUOH2.html?PopUp=1)

TAH 73
08-28-2007, 21:41
Everything gets clipped off, the octo keeper Splitlip posted above works great. The console keeper I had one similar, and the console kept popping out. The SPG is on a proper clip now.

Splitlip
08-28-2007, 21:53
Everything gets clipped off, the octo keeper Splitlip posted above works great. The console keeper I had one similar, and the console kept popping out. The SPG is on a proper clip now.

Agree. My thought being, with most rental gear people get nothing.
The consoles and Octos drag on the bottom. Not good for people or marine life. Those $3.00 accessories can come in handy.

Splitlip
08-28-2007, 22:03
for example...

Wow you keep it tight....that is the way it should be...like to see a pic of your getup.

Aw shucks.
All my picks are on my "dead" computer. I will get some up as needed as time goes on.
You can check my Avatar though. Well you can't see any danglies (mostly because of the size of the pic) but:
my alternate is around my neck, spg clipped to left hip and other gauges on my wrists.
In addition I have 2 DSMB's, 2 spools, 2 lights, 3 cutting tools, 1 camera and other stuff clipped off or stowed. I was doing weight and equipment checks with my daughter.

loudgonzo
08-29-2007, 12:51
In addition to the snorkel keeper, keep these with you for the console if you rent.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Image/Product/Full/aqudhh.jpg (http://www.leisurepro.com/ProductImage/AQUDHH.html?PopUp=1)

Or even these if the snorkel keeper is too "complex" :)http://www.leisurepro.com/Image/Product/Full/aquoh2.jpg (http://www.leisurepro.com/ProductImage/AQUOH2.html?PopUp=1)

I use the dual hose clip for my SPG and depth gauge. I don't really like it since the hose easily slides up and down the clip. I would rather have the console "fixed" in one spot. I will be getting a bolt snap or retractor on my next visit to ST.

Travelnsj
08-29-2007, 12:58
Aw shucks.
All my picks are on my "dead" computer. I will get some up as needed as time goes on.
You can check my Avatar though. Well you can't see any danglies (mostly because of the size of the pic) but:
my alternate is around my neck, spg clipped to left hip and other gauges on my wrists.
In addition I have 2 DSMB's, 2 spools, 2 lights, 3 cutting tools, 1 camera and other stuff clipped off or stowed. I was doing weight and equipment checks with my daughter.

Can't quite see your set up on your Avatar....If you do get a chance I think it would be good to see a close up of how you tie everything up.

greyzen
08-29-2007, 13:18
I made a link asking for that kinda stuff here:
http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?p=39496#post39496

I would love to see pictures and explanations of peoples setup

Capt Hook
08-29-2007, 13:20
Have to agree, really hate seeing divers with a case of the "danglies".

Travelnsj
08-29-2007, 14:28
I made a link asking for that kinda stuff here:
http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?p=39496#post39496

I would love to see pictures and explanations of peoples setup
Do not think that link is working.....

scubasamurai
08-29-2007, 14:48
set up of what, the regs the junk on your BC, i am only one man here give me some help i can;'t handle all the pressure of these photos
just busting, serious what kind of rigging are you looking for, a tech job or a reck diver or a cave diver