PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Oceanic software and cable?

itry2fly
08-28-2007, 18:59
Hey all, just bought 3 Oceanic Veo 250's from ST. Does anyone here use the Oceanic software and cable regularly to download dives? I know it is nice to be able to download the actual dive profile other than just max depth on the review. I have heard the Oceanic software is buggy, has anyone had issues with this? Basically, my question is it worth the extra $$ for the d/l cable, and have you had good experiences?

Thanks in advance!!

FishFood
08-28-2007, 19:04
Im interested as well.

I have a Veo250, and right now just use Excel to log dives. I cant justify, in my mind, spending $100...

Zenagirl
08-29-2007, 07:51
Since you bought your computer recently from ST, you can get a price break on the cable if you want it.

I bought the Aeris download cable since it's cheaper and it works fine on my husband's Oceanic computer. Frankly, I really like being able to download our dives and look at them. I like being able to see a graph of our dives, where we might have ascended too quickly, what our SAC rates were, and be able to write notes about the dive.

Yes, the program sometimes has weird bugs, but Oceanic has done a great job of having real divers beta test the software for 2-3 months prior to releasing it on their website. Still not perfect, but it's worth the bugs for me. YMMV

skdvr
08-29-2007, 09:28
I just started using it the other day and I really liked it. My wife has a VT Pro and I have had no problems with it. I went to their website and downloaded the newest version of it.

I have a Mares Nemo computer and I bought the download stuff for that as well a few months back and I really like it. I to like being able to look back at the dive and see how close I was to NDL's and depth and such. For my computer I did not buy it right away. I had the computer for about 6 months before I purchased the download cable.

We bought my wifes VT Pro used and it came with the cable.

The other option you have is to check out this (http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=1254) in the DIY forum. I have not used this software, btu the people that have seem to like it. Of course you will still have to buy the download cable. That will just give you another option of software to use...

Phil

TheGoast
08-29-2007, 13:55
I use the cable, I beleve that if you have spent the money on a computer that records the dive profile then you should have the cable to download the info.
Otherwize you may as well have got a cheeper computer.

Saying that I think the cables sould come free with the computer.
I think the price is Extortionate, but once you have the computer they have you over a barrel :smiley13:

Thanks for the plug Phil. saves me doing it :smiley20:

As Zenagirl says itry2fly, I think all these makes may be compatible cables: Oceanic, Aires and Sherwood.
I know the software is.

reservecops
08-29-2007, 14:04
I bought both my Veo 180 and the download cable right here from ST.

If you bought your computer here, you can get the download cable for $50, per Joe: http://forum.scubatoys.com/showpost.php?p=917&postcount=3

Works fine for me. Downloads everything, then I suck it into Tim's (TheGoast) Recreational Dive Log and print out the PADI pages:
http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=1254&highlight=Dive+software

Divingguy
08-29-2007, 15:12
I agree, get the cable, and use the buggy but still overall worthwhile software. What the computer records and download is WAY more than most people would ever try to keep track of for a spreadsheet log.

Vercingetorix
08-29-2007, 15:54
I've used the Veo 250 since January. I bought the cable at the same time, so I got it really cheaply. I've not had trouble with the software and they've updated it to eliminate the bugs.

cummings66
08-29-2007, 18:10
The software does have some minor bugs, but it is entirely usable. To be honest if the software Ghost is writing could download from the dive computer there's no need to even use the Oceanic software. Right now I use it and the other to print my logs, I'm telling you the dive log software Ghost is coming up with has some real potential, especially if you log padi style.

itry2fly
08-29-2007, 19:12
Thanks so much for the help everyone. I think I will go ahead and get the cable, it does seem a bit of a waste to get the higher-end model and not utilize all functions...I looked at TheGoast's software, and it looks awesome! Perligic (sp?) software developers should be jealous :) It's nice to have talented people willing to spend the time to develop software like that so people can better enjoy this sport. Thanks again!!

GordoninNM
08-29-2007, 23:21
I love the downloads from my VT3, complete dive profiles and stats, pre-logged for you. I don't have to scroll through the log menu on the computer and manually enter the data into my paper log. Wanna know my ppO2 after a dive? It's already recorded. The Oceanic software isn't perfect, but I find it very useful. I love being able to compare the recorded profile to my memory of the dive, and reviewing the profile sometimes gives me clues about things I can use to improve my diving (intermediate stops, how tight am I hovering at safety stops, ascent rates, etc.) I find it helpful to be able to review my dive, and critique my technique, because the computer doesn't lie or like me "disremember".

Get the cable, you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.

Gordo