PDA

View Full Version : Did this ever happen to you ?

tinahigley
09-14-2009, 20:53
I got my newly ordered wetsuit, all excited and try it on, I love it. BTW, it's from the Sea Dreams I heard from this website, it looks good (it's my favorite purple and black), also fits me very well, I'm 5'3 and size 20, it's a little long, but no big deal.

After I satisfied with my purchase, try to take the wetsuit off, and I can't, I'm stuck.....GGGHHHHRRRR... lucky my older son is coming home from school in 15 minutes, so I sit in front of the fan and waiting for him to help me take this off.

Just want to know if there is a trick to take the wetsuit off without help? and I will never try to put this on without someone else nearby anymore....how embarrassing....:smiley30:

Tina

Flatliner
09-14-2009, 21:09
Sorry but that is TOO funny. Are you turning it inside out? That is about the only way I can get mine off. sholders down letting it turn inside out as it goes.

DevilDiver
09-14-2009, 21:35
Cool........Got any pictures?

That's the way to make an entry! Welcome to the forum.

Sansho
09-14-2009, 21:43
Mine goes inside out too as I peel it off.

comet24
09-14-2009, 21:51
LUBE. Seriously. If you have trouble getting a wetsuit on/off try some lube. Babby shampoo mixed with water works.

navyhmc
09-14-2009, 22:10
Two thoughts: Inside out is the plan of the day! IMHO, about the only way to do it.

Lycra skins/rash guards as the way to go-makes it a lot easier to get a wet-wetsuit back on for dive number two on a ht day! I have an IST skin I wear and it's a whole lot easier to get on and off.

Okc_diver
09-14-2009, 23:22
sorry, I gotta do it...........911

:smiley36::smiley36::smiley36:

navyhmc
09-14-2009, 23:44
sorry, I gotta do it...........911

:smiley36::smiley36::smiley36:

Now, I will admit I've not run that call.....Yet! :smiley36:

tinahigley
09-15-2009, 07:12
Hey.....I thought I posted under the "Women Issue" ? where are all those helpful women divers ? you gals will just sit there and watch those guys making fun of me ? LOL
Ok, my problem is my arms are too short, I'm 5'3 (stretching a bit), and I just can't get those darn thing off me without another pair of hands help. GEEZZ....you guys have no sympathy for shorties....no fair....
I just need a nice dive buddy will be there when I need help....and lesson learned....do not try wetsuit on when no one else around....

scubagirlj
09-15-2009, 07:59
i feel your pain-i have a front zip 1.5m that i can't get out of without help-dive buddy is never more important than when you need to get undressed(oooh, left it wide open with that one)

Okc_diver
09-15-2009, 08:02
On a serious note I think the best way to remove a wetsuit is by pulling it off like a shirt were it ends up inside out. If I (or anyone else) offended you I am sorry.
The way Flatliner said it is the best way (I think that most people do it that way male or female). Grab it around the shoulders and peal it off letting it roll off inside out.

scubagirlj
09-15-2009, 08:04
BTW-i got stuck in a spots bra once and had to call a friend to come help extract me,after she stopped laughing-husband was out of country and didn't feel like wearing it indefinately-that's when you know who your real friends are

Desert_Diver
09-15-2009, 09:18
Hey.....I thought I posted under the "Women Issue" ? where are all those helpful women divers ? you gals will just sit there and watch those guys making fun of me ? LOL
Ok, my problem is my arms are too short, I'm 5'3 (stretching a bit), and I just can't get those darn thing off me without another pair of hands help. GEEZZ....you guys have no sympathy for shorties....no fair....
I just need a nice dive buddy will be there when I need help....and lesson learned....do not try wetsuit on when no one else around....

Sweetheart?

Don't be embarrassed. Any stupid mistake you post here, I have already done (or something worse).

Giant stride with air off? Done it.

Giant stride with fins still on boat. Done it.

Giant stride without weights? Done it.

Trying on a wet suit at the LDS that is too small? Done it. (Assistance to doff the suit was required. Taking Maximum Crap from my so called dive buddies as a result? ) You bet.

You are going to have to be much more imaginative to do something stupider than me. :smilie39:

By the way, welcome aboard Scuba Toys. (And the women on this forum are a lot more viscous than they appear at first glance. :smiley19:)

Art

navyhmc
09-15-2009, 09:21
BTW-i got stuck in a spots bra once and had to call a friend to come help extract me,after she stopped laughing-husband was out of country and didn't feel like wearing it indefinately-that's when you know who your real friends are

Okay, I admit I'm a guy and am not well versed in the girly-girl stuff, but I have to ask: How do you get stuck in a sports-bra (if you can tell me without getting you or me embarrassed) :smiley9:

cowgirldiver
09-15-2009, 09:50
Tina:

Just think of it as the guys being your heros and jumping in when we girls were not there to help. Though I haven't had this problem with my regular 3mil wetsuit, I did once with a 7mil FJ-I had to do all kinds of contortions to get it off and I'm sure if someone had video, it would have been hilarious. I was at a quarry near here (you guys know where I'm talking about) where very few women dive and thought, if I have to wait for one of the girls to come in to the changing area, I'll be here all day....Just chalk it up to experience!!

As to the sports bra, Navy, most of them don't have any hooks-you have to pull it off over your head and when you're all sweaty.....okay, I think I've gone far enough with that image....

kwigleydownunder
09-15-2009, 10:39
I highly recommend Henderson Thermoprene suits. They are the easiest wetsuit to put on and take off that I have ever used. Plus they dry really fast compared to others.
I used to have a BARE suit that I would struggle in and out of. Then I tried an XCEL and that one was even stiffer. I will probably never buy any other kind of suit now that I know how easy the Henderson Thermoprene is. They should be paying me for this, huh?

dawnvip
09-15-2009, 11:12
Tina, I think from reading your post that maybe you can't reach the zipper? Some wetsuit come with a long neoprene or cloth extension on the zipper that you can always reach with your hand, then pull down and undo the zipper. If your wetsuit didn't come with this, try adding a long, thin piece of strong cloth to the zipper. If this isn't the problem, then sorry, I dunno,
But don't worry about being embarrased, I was on a resort dive with about 10 others, 40 feet down when my bikini top just floated away! I don't know how it was possible! Only saving grace was that I wear a jacket style BC and needless to say I wore it the whole boat ride back to shore!
Now I always wear a shortie or at least a 1 piece swimsuit.

scubagirlj
09-15-2009, 12:10
thank you cowgirldiver-yes between sweaty and extremely snug and have to pull on over your head, well you get the picture Navy-need to be double jointed to say the least

lisa-don't sweat it, the wetsuit dance is something we all endure-most divers on the boat will politely avert their eyes while others are getting suited up although i did once have to say"look, dolphins" so everyone looked in opposite direction

cowgirldiver
09-15-2009, 12:20
Yelling shark is much more effective....that even gets the guys!!

tinahigley
09-15-2009, 18:02
Thank you everyone for your encouragement.....NO ....I was not offended at all...not that easy...lol
The suit I tried on is actually front zipper, but the zipper only to middle of my stomach, so even when it's completed unzipped, I can not get either arm out of it, it really is hard to explain, but I could not free myself from at least one sleeve so I can wiggle out of it....anyhow, I do like the way it look/fit, I just have to have sure that someone can help me .....hehe...
I'm a newbie, and totally hooked after took a resort lesson at Grand Camon when I was on a cruise. Actually the starting of that dive was a total disaster, after I finally get enough courage to jump in the water, everything ( mask, fins ) went flying everywhere and I almost quit right there. Luckily I had a wonderful instructor, she fished me out of the water, calmed me down and make sure that all my equipment fits and start all over again.... rest is history....I love it !! Only regret is I didn't start earlier....
Again, thank you for everyone's welcome and well wishes, I'm sure I will have more embarrassing stories to share later...

Tina

gNats
09-15-2009, 19:22
Definitely wear a lycra skin. Not a 1 ml wetsuit, a lycra skin with full legs and arms. It will really allow you to pull the wetsuit on and off. Between dives, find a tree to hang it from or throw it on a bush (shake for spiders ewwwww) and it will dry in a snap. Much nicer to put on the second time around and the silk properties to allow your moist wetsuit to slide on and up with be there for you.

And, the big thing I learned when I dove wet, once you get the suit down to the ground, remove your legs by standing on it and walk out of the suit.

PS - the women's forum is not sacred. If you post something highly sacred and secretive that only a woman will have had the ability to experience, BECAUSE the guys just don't HAVE THAT PHYSIOLOGY, some guy out there will still give you advice.

Um, take that advice with caution.

:smilie40: :smiley2:

Splitlip
09-15-2009, 20:17
You have no idea unless you have ever stepped into a too small "ZEN" wetsuit. ZEN = "Zipperless Entry Neck".

That is correct. NO ZIPPER. There is a trick and shimmy to them. Almost impossible to remove when it is dry and you are damp.

Edit: Just did a search and see that O'neill has now added a zipper to their Zen's. That is for Wusses

carrielsal
09-17-2009, 12:06
If you're at home, stand in the shower.

I got stuck in a hooded vest at my LDS. It was too small, but I was so sure I could fit into it. Once I had one arm in I realized it wasn't going to work. Now I have the hood on my head and one arm in, and it's not budging. I was in the back room behind the indoor pool. There was an OW class in the pool. I would have had to walk through the pool area to the sales floor to find help, so I was pretty determined to get it off. I managed to get my arm half out when it started pulling on my neck and I started to have problems getting air. I was about to go to the pool and scream help when my arm popped out! I will NEVER try on a hooded vest again. They are just way too evil.

Carrie

caburrid
09-17-2009, 18:49
Cool........Got any pictures?

That's the way to make an entry! Welcome to the forum.

:smiley30::smiley30::smiley30::smiley30::smiley30:

OINK OINK Wilbur! Sheesh! You fellas always make me remember how silly your gender can be.

coral cowgirl
09-21-2009, 12:22
Shower trick works good. also stand on the hem of the bottom of the leg and pull your leg out. (ie, place left foot on floor, stand on back hem edge with right ball of foot,pull left leg out) Repeat on other side.

musicpeacemaker
11-21-2009, 21:27
I can honestly say that never happened to me. But lucky my new dive suit e have a zipper in the back of the suit which the string from the zipper goes all the way down my back and I peel out of it.

IrishSquid
11-22-2009, 15:11

They're over in the Men's Forum, NAGGING! :smiley36:

How's that for a Bullseye on my back? :smilie40:

angb
11-22-2009, 18:28
i have tried trash bag or target/walmart bag to get back in a wet wet suit. it really works.

scubadiver888
11-23-2009, 08:26
I highly recommend Henderson Thermoprene suits. They are the easiest wetsuit to put on and take off that I have ever used. Plus they dry really fast compared to others.
I used to have a BARE suit that I would struggle in and out of. Then I tried an XCEL and that one was even stiffer. I will probably never buy any other kind of suit now that I know how easy the Henderson Thermoprene is. They should be paying me for this, huh?

My instructor has a similar build to tinahigley and she swears by the Henderson Thermoprene. Not so sure if they dry any faster than other wetsuits I have used but they are definitely easier to get on and off.

From tinahigley's description of the wetsuit I can see how it would be hard to get off. I have a back zipper and it takes a bit of effort to pull the wetsuit off my shoulders. I usually grab the right shoulder with the left hand, pull it off the shoulder then do the same thing with the left shoulder and right hand.

If it was a front zipper, I'm not sure how I'd do it. You might want to try getting in the shower with it on. If you can get it off in the shower then you should be able to get it off after a dive. If not, you definitely want to dive with a buddy who will help you out of the thing. I'm pretty sure if you can get them to pull it off your shoulders the rest of the work should be doable.

Darrell

P.S. thank you for sharing. I wouldn't even have thought about how difficult it might be to get a front zipper wetsuit off.

P.P.S. I force a wetsuit which was too small for me on and got stuck in the thing. I know how embarrassed you felt.

scubajane
11-27-2009, 21:10
WAIT, I don't understand. why do you want to take OFF a wetsuit.

the real answer is GO DIVING!!!!

navyhmc
11-27-2009, 21:25

Well, it's hard to get your hubby to take you out for dinner when you still have the wetsuit on after you wanted to see if it fit right....:smiley36:

scubajane
11-27-2009, 21:29

Well, it's hard to get your hubby to take you out for dinner when you still have the wetsuit on after you wanted to see if it fit right....:smiley36:

Take-out dinner and then into the shower to get the wet suit off. sounds like a good evening to me :)

RobinW
12-06-2009, 21:10
Yes. I have to admit, I've been "stuck" in a wet suit, as well. Unfortunately, for me it was at the Dive store while trying on my first wetsuit. The nice young man assisting me didn't know that there was a difference between a ladies size 12 and a girl's size 12. After putting my right leg into the leg of the wet suit, I wondered to myself "...Did I just put my leg into the arm hole?" Several minutes later, I wrestled myself out of tiny suit. Sweating and dizzy, I educated the dive shop employee.
Guess I'm not the only one!

navyhmc
12-07-2009, 04:30
Yes. I have to admit, I've been "stuck" in a wet suit, as well. Unfortunately, for me it was at the Dive store while trying on my first wetsuit. The nice young man assisting me didn't know that there was a difference between a ladies size 12 and a girl's size 12. After putting my right leg into the leg of the wet suit, I wondered to myself "...Did I just put my leg into the arm hole?" Several minutes later, I wrestled myself out of tiny suit. Sweating and dizzy, I educated the dive shop employee.
Guess I'm not the only one!

:smilie39: :smilie39: :smilie39: forgive me Robin, but the mental picture is just too good! :smilie39: :smilie39: :smilie39: Both putting on a way, way, WAY too small wetsuit and the immediate employee education thereafter!

musicpeacemaker
12-20-2009, 17:17
Dear Tina I'll bet that is embarassing. No I can't honestly say that happened to me, but when I bought my very first wet suit it had a very string halfway down the back so all I had to do was reach behind grab the string and pull the zipper down. And just peel out of it. Debbie

PhD4JC
03-21-2010, 10:02
In the future, wear a skin underneath your wetsuits. It makes taking them on and off MUCH easier.