PDA

View Full Version : Pelagic computers

Honky76
09-17-2009, 01:28
I just received a new Genesis React Pro. This is a replacement because the first one stopped working after 47 dives and I was sent a new one by Genesis. I've noticed that my first computer gained about 7minutes a month on its internal clock and the temperature was consistently 2-3 degrees colder than my dive buddies. I verified the temp. on the new one as well by soaking in colder water with a thermometer and sure enough it was ~ -2 off. Is this consistent with all Pelagic manufactured computers in this class. I know they manufacture for a few different vendors, Oceanic, Sherwood, Genesis and I'm not sure if there is more. I guess my biggest concern is if the internal clock is off and the temperature is skewed then how good is the algorithms for ndl and nitrox? Anyone else experienced similar problems?

PTAaron
09-17-2009, 07:31
The clock on my Geo had stayed accurate with my cell phone clock since I set it initially in May until I took out the battery last month - and since then it has been accurate as well.

As far as the temperature - seems to read the same as other people I've been diving with.

I don't know for sure - but wouldn't the temperature sensor and "watch" be something that is going to vary by manufacturer even if they are using the same algorithm?

Draq
09-17-2009, 10:17
Regardless of brand, I don't think there is any connection between time keeping accuracy, temperature sensing, depth readings and calculations based on dive time and depth.

I think it is common for computers to be several degrees off in either direction on temperature readings, and I think most dive computers say +/- 3 or 4 degrees is within spec. Seven minutes per month is too far off to be normal for any electronic watch or clock and would, in my opinion, warrant an exchange, but I don't think it means the dive computer portion of the device can't be trusted. How accurate is the clock on your new computer?

CompuDude
09-17-2009, 11:40
While I agree 7 min per month is a lot and warrants an exchange, I disagree about the actual impact.

7 minutes of clock drift over the course of a month? That's 420 seconds per month, or 14 seconds per day or 0.58 seconds over the course of an average 1 hour dive. Do you really think the clock being off by 0.58 seconds during your dive is a problem?

Draq
09-18-2009, 12:41
Compudude: If you are asking me, no I don't. What I was saying (or attempting to say) was that I would consider 7 minutes fast or slow per month unacceptable timekeeping accuracy on a computer with a clock function, but like you, I do not believe it would have any impact on the dive computer functionality.

kroorda
12-21-2009, 20:26
Pelegic computers (Oceanic, Aeris, and Sherwood) are amongst the best available. The computation of time and temperature are two entirely seperate things. The only thing that the two of them have in common is the computer battery. Not only should you check the battery, but also check to make sure that the battery contacts are clean and making a good connection. If things are still off, call Oceanic or Sherwood and I am confident that you will be pleasantly surprised with the quality of service you will receive. They want your computer to be RIGHT for you!

A happy, long-time Oceanic computer user!