PDA

View Full Version : Underwater laser pointers- are they made?

terrillja
08-28-2007, 21:03
I was wondering if anyone had ever seen an underwater laser pointer. I was thinking that they would be cool for pointing things out in dark water, since they have such a precise beam. I know that the US Navy did some testing up near me on Lake Winnipesaukee, something with mirrors and lasers, I guess it's a common dive spot.

Anyways, if anyone can provide a link to where they might sell U/W lasers, I'd be interested.

ertechsg
08-28-2007, 21:43
Like this (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/search_results.asp?iLevel=1&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=laser&Submit=Search) one

terrillja
08-28-2007, 21:47
Has anyone used one? I know a green laser works for something like a few miles in the air, wonder how the one linked above works in the water.

Cichlid
08-28-2007, 23:16
Never tried one, but I've seen them on ebay too.

dmdoss
08-28-2007, 23:40
I got one. It flooded. Doesn't work. But was cool when it did.

kevinj1
08-28-2007, 23:43
I would love to get one--that seems like a great idea.

terrillja
08-28-2007, 23:48

Same one ST sells or a different one?

dmdoss
08-28-2007, 23:59

Same one ST sells or a different one?

Different. Laser is probably the same, but housing looks different.

Krakenn
08-29-2007, 07:58
I got one used it once - After that I realised I didnt really want one in the first place.

Kraks

RikRaeder
08-29-2007, 08:04
I wonder how they keep the beam focused. Seems like it would diffuse pretty quick under water.

thesmoothdome
08-29-2007, 08:14
Cool idea for leading groups or even showing your buddy something. I dove with a guy who used a retractable aluminum pointer as both a pointer and a tank banger to get your attention. Very cool idea. Think it's one of those warm water things though. I'd never wanna spend my dives trying to pull out a little pointer in 5 mil gloves.

Anyway, stupid questions maybe, but would a laser pointer have any ill effects on the aquatic life?

Charlotte Smith
08-29-2007, 08:17
It was a waste of my time....the deeper you go the harder it was to see...or at least it was in my case....

Texas Girl
08-29-2007, 08:36
My husband bought one, used it once. It doesn't work well underwater.

loudgonzo
08-29-2007, 12:45
You could shine it into the eyes of another diver who's doing something they shouldn't be doing...touching the reef....

Just kidding of course!:smiley36:

greyzen
08-29-2007, 13:15
loud, that is why you put a laser sight on your harpoon

Krakenn
08-29-2007, 23:23
Seriously there used to be a laser that could be mounted on a airgun, LP used to sell them years ago

Kraks

msprzeor
09-11-2007, 12:41
uh oh, I just got one (on it's way) so I could help point out things to my husband while he takes pictures. Not to happy to hear they don't work too well! Maybe we'll give it a go at the lake and see how it handles.

Hemlon
09-11-2007, 12:49
I have a UW laser light that was given to me as a gift. It's a complete piece of junk at depth.

Damselfish
09-11-2007, 14:33
I used to have one, sounded like a good idea at the time but I didn't find it overly useful UW. Flooded within a few dives and had no desire to replace.

Travelnsj
09-11-2007, 14:54
Anyway, stupid questions maybe, but would a laser pointer have any ill effects on the aquatic life?

Not a stupid question...but a good one?...Can it be dangerous to Marine life if you shine it in the eyes?

AggieDad
09-11-2007, 18:30
Cool idea for leading groups or even showing your buddy something. I dove with a guy who used a retractable aluminum pointer as both a pointer and a tank banger to get your attention. Very cool idea. Think it's one of those warm water things though. I'd never wanna spend my dives trying to pull out a little pointer in 5 mil gloves.

Divemaster at CoCoView Resort used a car antennae for a pointer.
I dove with a guy down there that had a red light laser pointer that he used to point out stuff at night. Don't know what brand.

FyVe
09-12-2007, 00:27

Not a stupid question...but a good one?...Can it be dangerous to Marine life if you shine it in the eyes?

Hell yes. imagine if you were sleeping and a blinding red light shines through your eyelids... rude awakening!!! plus the poor fishies will be blinded and swim into rocks and things. definitly not recommended to poke a fish in the eye with a laser.
j/k... who knows? prolly the same effects as doing it to yourself above water... if you leave it on long enough you might go blind?

ScubaToys Larry
09-13-2007, 18:22
I wonder how they keep the beam focused. Seems like it would diffuse pretty quick under water.

It doesn't. Just makes a nice little pin point on what you are pointing at. Some fish try to attack the red dot on the sand... like messing with your cat!

It will not make a "beam" through the water unless there is a lot of suspended particles and low vis - otherwise, just makes a nice little red dot that I use to point things out to students when I'm leading dives.

coralcrazed
09-14-2007, 23:02
the DM at the turks and caicos sandals resort used one to point things out. It was verycompact like a pencil. I wish I had the interest then to ask about it I would have told you the name ofit. you could always call them :)

coralcrazed
09-14-2007, 23:05

Divemaster at CoCoView Resort used a car antennae for a pointer.
I dove with a guy down there that had a red light laser pointer that he used to point out stuff at night. Don't know what brand.
and fish don't have eye lids :smiley18:

BobArnold8265
09-15-2007, 09:22
I bought a lazer pointer a few years back. It has a red beam and works well at night or when deep. Unfortunately, you can't really see it when you use it on a sunny day and aren't real deep (60 to 70 feet and up). I rarely use it now.

diver2000
09-15-2007, 22:01
Scuba.com carries a model

CompuDude
09-16-2007, 13:24
Don't shine them in the eyes of the fish, and you'll be fine. An accidental flash won't cause any lasting damage, but try to be careful with it... just like you wouldn't want to accidentally shine you laser pointer into you doggy's eyes.

Reg
09-25-2007, 05:11
I think a "2 in 1" would be more practical. That is, a High Powered Torch and Laser Pointer in one device. I'm already carry enough stuff...

Laser Pointers come in different power rating from 5mw up to 15mw (the 15mw are illegal in some areas) and Red & Green. Maybe a green would work better than the Red at lower deepths?

Reg

marchand
09-25-2007, 09:50
I think a "2 in 1" would be more practical. That is, a High Powered Torch and Laser Pointer in one device. I'm already carry enough stuff...

Laser Pointers come in different power rating from 5mw up to 15mw (the 15mw are illegal in some areas) and Red & Green. Maybe a green would work better than the Red at lower deepths?

Reg

I have seen some pointers that were in the 300-400mw range and you could pop a balloon with them, but they were really expensive. I think you could get them in red, green, or blue. They are really nice lasers, but I don't know how water proof they are.

marchand
09-25-2007, 10:00
wickedlasers.com has the powerful ones, but they are like $1500 for a 300mw and they are only waterproof to 30 meters.

Reg
09-26-2007, 17:51
300-400mW, Wow!! I'd only get that type of power if i was looking to use it in place of speargun I think 15mW-20wM MAX would be suitable as and underwater pointer for day and night.

msprzeor
10-15-2007, 21:44
Well, we just got back from the bahamas and I got a chance to use my laser pointer for the first time ... after hearing some of the posts, I was a little sceptical but it actually worked very well for pointing out the little things that my husband likes to take pictures of ... and the things no one else can find when you try to show them. I had no problems - it worked great and did it's job ... but I was never farther than 2-3 feet from what I was pointing out.

I have the trident laser pointer (got it from scubatoys) and it was less than $30.

Reg
10-16-2007, 04:07
Most of them aren't waterproof, but it wouldn't take much to find a cheap waterproof torch/flashlight, remove the insides and replace them with decent green laser.

I've seen Waterproof laser pointers advertised at $280 US, its seems crazy when all your paying for is the housing and a couple O-rings.

Maybe this can be challenge for someone in the DIY forum.

kevinj1
10-16-2007, 23:19
I still want one--lol.

webwidejosh
10-17-2007, 10:45
I have seen some pointers that were in the 300-400mw range and you could pop a balloon with them, but they were really expensive. I think you could get them in red, green, or blue. They are really nice lasers, but I don't know how water proof they are.

I can personally vouch for the 30mW at Deal Extreme: ($40 delivered)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.469

It will pop a balloon if you put a black mark on it with a marker. (needs to be dark to absorb enough laser-light energy:

http://www.recshots.com/main.php?g2_itemId=19792

I have shined it into the water (avid kayaker here) and it goes pretty far. You will see a beam in water or at night. (all the way to the clouds)

The question is how to outfit this for underwater. It is far cheaper and more powerful than any underwater-ready laser I've seen!

Tableleg
10-17-2007, 11:46
$40? I just ordered one for $26 shipped. :smiley1:

And I doubt that one is water proof like take-it-underwater water proof.

webwidejosh
10-17-2007, 11:49
$40? I just ordered one for $26 shipped. :smiley1:

And I doubt that one is water proof like take-it-underwater water proof.

Oh, it's going to be more like water proof like don't get it wet at all waterproof.

I paid for the upgraded shipping because I read that it may get "absorbed" by customs otherwise.

You will not be disappointed by this laser. I've had a blast with it. It will make others with red lasers or other-the-counter store lasers cry.

CompuDude
10-17-2007, 12:11
As someone said, buy your lasers from whereever is best, then stick it in an empty flashlight housing. Buy a cheap, old, dead light from Craigslist or eBay for $10 or less, dump the innards and use it as a housing.

abcitydiver
10-22-2007, 12:25
just found this out there:
Dive Shop (http://divesales.com/index1.html)
Green laser...has anybody had personal experience of this one?