PDA

View Full Version : Aeris Atmos AI

No Misses
09-18-2009, 12:33
I recently suffered a DC loss. The battery cover on my Aeris Atmos AI cracked and the DC flooded. I waffled back and forth about whether or not to replace it. I have a Zeagle In2ition, which I bought for its 2 gas option. One of the first things that I noticed was that its Buhlman algorithm is more conservative than the modified Haldanean algorithm in the Aeris/Oceanic products. The Zeagle showed me going into DECO 7 minutes before the Aeris (I was wearing both).

So, decision time. Do I get another Aeris Atmos AI or should I try a different DC? I chose another Atmos and here is why.

1. I prefer a hose mounted DC over Wrist mount. It is one less thing that I have to remember to put on before hitting the water.

2. After the flooding incident, I did 6 dives with the wrist mount. I found myself checking the DC (time, depth, N2 load) but I was ignoring my SPG. I missed having everything together in one spot (Compass, DC, SPG)

3. The Atmos AI is very small and compact. It is the size of the palm of my hand (minus compass module). Even with its small size, the display is fairly large and easy to read.

4. Next issue was cost. I was not looking forward to paying >$750 for a replacement. But, then I sat down and figured out what my original Atmos had cost me. I had paid ~ $650 for it five years ago. It has done over 500 dives. That works out to about $1.20 per dive. I realized that over its lifetime, it was not that much cost.

So, in the end, I called up ST and ordered my new Aeris Atmos AI. It will get wet tomorrow J

No Misses
09-20-2009, 11:07
Wohoo. My new DC now has 3 dives on it :-)

Zenagirl
09-20-2009, 13:05
My first dive computer was an Aeris AI....great computer, just loved, loved, loved it! The only reason I sold it was to go hoseless and get an Oceanic VT3, which I still don't wear on my wrist, instead have on a retractor on my BC. It's just nice not to have the extra hose, but it I were to ever get a hosed computer again, I'd absolutely buy the Aeris AI again.

Cool beans that you have what you love!

jrose40
10-27-2009, 21:57
I just bought a new Aeries AI and I am excited, should I know of any cautions I should use?

No Misses
10-28-2009, 11:19
Do not use anything other than a quarter to tighten the battery compartment. Over torqueing the the battery door can cause a major malfunction (flood).

jrose40
10-28-2009, 14:35
I am really excited to get to use this computer for the first time this weekend, I have a Suunto Vyper that I also have but am ready to use the integrated Aeris AI

jrose40
10-28-2009, 18:16
Hey guys answer me what are they Aeris Atmos AI worth used with the compass and quick disconnect? I bought this one used and just wondering, it is like brand new.

No Misses
11-02-2009, 09:31
jrose, how did your dive go, this weekend? Did the Aeris AI live up to your expectations.

As for your earlier question "what is a used Aeris AI worth?" That is a tough question. As with any used item, the question is... what is it worth to you?

You can get a new one for $650. For me to buy a used one, I would need to save a couple hundred bucks. It all depends on who is selling it. I have bought demo items from Scuba Toys. I know that they will stand behind the item. If I was buying a used item from Joe Shmuckatelli, I would need some serious enticement.

P.S. ST has a demo Aeris AI with compass and QD for $550.
Aeris Atmos AI Computer Used reviews and discounts, Aeris (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=AerisAtmosAINitroxComputerDe moUsedUnit)

rednose83
11-02-2009, 12:44
I have this computer too. I dove with it for the first time on Saturday and loved it! Super easy to use.

For the guy wondering about used- I got mine as part of a gear package so the computer was an additional $380 over the price of regular gauges. I think it was worth every penny.