PDA

View Full Version : My Surface Interval Ends Tonight

thesmoothdome
08-28-2007, 22:26
Sigh. It's that time of year again. I have to set the timer on the coffee maker for 5am, set the alarm clock for 5:15am and actually go to work for the next 10 months. :smiley11:

FishFood
08-28-2007, 22:27
Hmmm, 2 month summer! Must be a teacher..? No, a teacher couldn't afford diving...! Hmmm, what DO you do?

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
08-28-2007, 22:35
Sigh. It's that time of year again. I have to set the timer on the coffee maker for 5am, set the alarm clock for 5:15am and actually go to work for the next 10 months. :smiley11:

My wife is in the same boat!!

ertechsg
08-28-2007, 22:39
catcha on the safety stop Smooth.:smiley20:

Zenagirl
08-29-2007, 07:30
I'm in the same boat, except I changed jobs with the school district and actually went back to work 2 weeks ago. <sigh> The bottom line is that nobody but other educators ever feels sorry for us at the end of the summer.... ;)

My SI won't end until Christmas, then it's Maui baby!! :D :D :D

mm_dm
08-29-2007, 08:04
Stop, you guys are breaking my heart:smiley19:

No really, I would go insane if I have to deal with that many kids, their problems and their parents year 'round.

thesmoothdome
08-29-2007, 08:07
The sun isn't even up yet!! What kind of cruel joke is this?

RikRaeder
08-29-2007, 08:08
Yo, folks. He said Surface Interval ENDS tonight...sounds to me like he dives for a living...no? Perhaps a mistype? Am I missing something here? Surface Interval=no diving.....End=finish

Smooth???...

Disneymom
08-29-2007, 08:14
Awww, TSD! Back to the kiddos for you is it? Well, hang in there, the school year will be over before you know it! And you've still got weekends!!

thor
08-29-2007, 08:21
Boo Hoo. Paw 'lil smoothie had awl summa to pway in da sand.

georoc01
08-29-2007, 08:30
Yeah, I can't feel too sorry for those who have had the summer off. My summer vacation lasted two days in Cozumel till Dean pushed us home. At least Thanksgiving and my December trip is only 3 months away!

thesmoothdome
08-29-2007, 08:48
Yo, folks. He said Surface Interval ENDS tonight...sounds to me like he dives for a living...no? Perhaps a mistype? Am I missing something here? Surface Interval=no diving.....End=finish

Smooth???...

I see you're point Riki and you're right. The title can easily construe that I'm going diving and boy would that be a good thing! :smiley20:

Unfortunately (fortunately, really. I have to pay the mortgage somehow), I refer to my extened surface interval to depressurize from work. I'm Dean of a high school and my summer is over and it's back under pressure for the next 10 months.

Well, guess it's really time to leave now. Have a good day everyone.

RikRaeder
08-29-2007, 08:50
Thanks for the clarification. That's a bummer. I plan on getting bummed out like that when I return from here myself. Take no prisoners, Dean Smooth.

greyzen
08-29-2007, 10:23
TSD, I don't see how you guys do it... props for the sacrifice's you guys make to educate children. It is a job I want to do, but I know I don't have the patience for it.

So when are you guys gonna teach kids the value of a dollar?! :P

cgvmer
08-29-2007, 11:12
Since I work from my house (do lots of ugly traveling: ugly traveling over night on a plane, spend 12 hours at a customer and hop back on a plane)

When summer comes, I have 3 kids and my wife around to bother me. Now 1 left for freshman year of college already and next week my wife and 2 kids start back to school. I am that guy on the Staples dancing in the aisles.

Jaymeany
08-29-2007, 11:24
Thanks for the post I almost forgot I have to go to a meeting tomorrow for school. I guess it's time to realize I have to go back to work and stop goofing off.:smiley19:

dallasdivergirl
08-29-2007, 11:30
I had some un-planned surface interival time. One month was good. The second one I was pulling my hair out.

Centerius
08-30-2007, 08:57
This was my first week back at school. Except this time I'm in graduate school. Lots of work, and no time to post much on the board now. :( However, I'm still diving almost every Saturday (hopefully). :)

skdvr
08-30-2007, 10:56
My little sister is a teacher and she was complaining to me a few weeks back about having to go back to work. I put her in her place because of all the vacation time they have off during the school year plus then having the summer off. I am just jealous I know, but I still have to give her a hard time about it...

Phil

scubasavvy
08-30-2007, 10:59

Ah, I'm a college student and I know how you feel. Although I can't complain, I get ample time off. Thanksgiving break, a month for winter break, a week for spring break and then two weeks after that I'm out for close to 5 months. That's lots of time for diving my friends :smiley20:.

Liv7301
08-30-2007, 18:20
This was my first week back with kids. We all had to move out of the building in May because of ceiling/roof work, so starting the school year this time around has been complicated by unpacking, searching around the building for missing equipment, etc. I had to take all of my instruments (half the contents of my room) to the next campus up the street so they wouldn't get damaged.

Getting motivated to come back to all of that was hard, but I am getting back into the swing of things. Looking forward to our Blackbeard trip is helping though!

foo
09-05-2007, 23:39
I'm back at work also, I feel your pain, Smooth. Unless you work at a school, you don't realize that summer is absolutely vital, in order to recharge your batteries before you go back into the battlefield. I love my job, but the energy it takes is sometimes hard to muster! Although I still get excited about new kids, etc., every year. Just like when I was a kid and I got excited about the start of school. I even remember the way my new school supplies would smell, down to the new cigar box that the local drugstore would supply- if you asked nicely. Anyone else remember having a real cigar box for your supplies, complete with the sweet smell?