PDA

View Full Version : Canon ISUX 980 IS

Reg
09-24-2009, 04:06
This new canon compact seem to be packed full of features. I'm considering upgrading my Fiji F11 with D2000 Strobe to this camera. Has anyone else used one yet?

CompuDude
09-24-2009, 12:34
This new canon compact seem to be packed full of features. I'm considering upgrading my Fiji F11 with D2000 Strobe to this camera. Has anyone else used one yet?

It's a great little camera. That's the PowerShot 990is digital elph here in the States.

Biggest issue IMO is with the Manual mode... there's no true aperture control. You're restricted to choosing between two aperture settings, f.2.8 and a higher setting that depends on your zoom level. Apparently this is because there's no true aperture... it varies between wide open and flips an internal ND filter in place to simulate stopping down the aperture. The light level results are the same but DOF tricks are limited. I also wish it had a bigger 3" screen like some other models have.

That said, my regular dive buddy picked one up a few months ago, and has had fantastic results from it. She added the Inon AD adapter so she switches between the Inon macro lens and the Inon fisheye lens, and has produced some really great work.

Personally, though, I'm waiting for the S90, which should be released soon.

Reg
09-25-2009, 04:36
The S90, does look good. Not sure how you would you would use the lense control ring in the underwater housing though...

I was also looking for HD video..

Still they would both be a nice upgrade from the Fuji

Reg
11-10-2009, 05:06
Final bought the Lumix DMC-TZ7. Thanks for all the suggestions.