PDA

View Full Version : Padi test problem with facemask off

Noob
09-24-2009, 08:34
I ran into an issue last night in my training. I'm having an issue when I take my mask off water going up my nose while breathing from my reg.

How do you guys prevent this? I've never had a problem with this that I can remember when not using a reg or even a mask.

DivingCRNA
09-24-2009, 11:52
Exhale fro your nose. Just make sure to mouth breath.

CompuDude
09-24-2009, 12:03
Practice in the bathroom sink with a snorkel. Just fill the sink with cold water, take the mask off and only use the snorkel. You'll get it.

Noob
09-24-2009, 12:13
Practice in the bathroom sink with a snorkel. Just fill the sink with cold water, take the mask off and only use the snorkel. You'll get it.

"Exhale fro your nose. Just make sure to mouth breath."

Thank you guys for the recommendation. I'll be trying this tonight.

Thanks

John Yaskowich
09-24-2009, 14:08
Also try going to a pool with swimming goggles (not a mask) and snorkle. Stand in the shallow end, bend over to put your face in the water and breathe through the snorkle. If you get water up your nose you can stand up and sputter before trying again. Won't take long before you are used to breathing through your mouth with water around your nose.

awap
09-24-2009, 14:23
This is a practice and confidence thing. Pool, bathtub, or sink (I'd go with warm water) will all work. Start by holding your nose and then slowly release it. Focus on breathing only through your mouth. Keep working on it and you will have no problem. And then continue to practice it occasionally as you continue diving.

CompuDude
09-24-2009, 15:52
This is a practice and confidence thing. Pool, bathtub, or sink (I'd go with warm water) will all work. Start by holding your nose and then slowly release it. Focus on breathing only through your mouth. Keep working on it and you will have no problem. And then continue to practice it occasionally as you continue diving.

I recommend cold water precisely to prepare people for the shock that flooding your mask with cold water brings. It's less comfortable... and that's the point of doing the skill. If you can't do it when things are less than bathtub warm, that's going to limit your diving...

awap
09-24-2009, 16:03

I recommend cold water precisely to prepare people for the shock that flooding your mask with cold water brings. It's less comfortable... and that's the point of doing the skill. If you can't do it when things are less than bathtub warm, that's going to limit your diving...

I thought that might be the case. But, I still recommend crawl before walk. And once you master the control of breathing through the mouth without any intake through the nose, the rest is pretty easy.

I remember quite a few years ago (teenager) trying to snorkel without my mask. When I finished choking, I concluded (without further test) that it was impossible. That was the only aspect of scuba cert that had me a little anxious.

ScubaToys Larry
09-24-2009, 16:18
Really one of the hardest things to do in scuba - so don't feel bad. Our whole life, it doesn't matter how you breathe, and suddenly it does! So changing something you've done your whole life in a few minutes is not easy...

To make sure you don't inhale at all with your nose... we just send our students into the bathroom right after Joe. That does it!

Aquatrax
09-24-2009, 16:44
try keeping your tongue away from the roof of your mouth and breathe slowly. I found that pressing it on the inside of my bottom row of teeth keeps my airway extra open. Also try tilting your head just a bit forward.

As others have said, practice at home, you can even get into the shower with your mask, let it fill up and just breath while you bathe.

keep trying, you'll get it

TJDiver
09-25-2009, 07:51
Really one of the hardest things to do in scuba - so don't feel bad. Our whole life, it doesn't matter how you breathe, and suddenly it does! So changing something you've done your whole life in a few minutes is not easy...

To make sure you don't inhale at all with your nose... we just send our students into the bathroom right after Joe. That does it!

BWAHAHAA! :smiley36:

DMWiz
09-25-2009, 08:47

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: Can you bottle some of that and send it our way?

To the op... your nostrils will fill with water and that's just the way it is, but realize that as long as you don't aspirate you will be fine. Even if you do, you still can breathe. Don't panic.

It's more of a mental block than anything else. Practice in the sink as suggested. Knowing that you will not drown is more than half the battle.

Vercingetorix
09-25-2009, 08:51
As others have suggested, try using the bathtub as a training environment:
http://images.veer.com/IMG/PIMG/SIP/SIP2002855_P.JPG

...we just send our students into the bathroom right after Joe. That does it!I can attest. It is a very small, two-stall restroom with nowhere to hide.:smiley36:

And, you'll get it, man. I still hate doing it. So, I do it on at least one of my three or four dives in a day. Partial flood, Full flood. Hate it. So, that's why I do it. You can too.

Noob
09-25-2009, 10:09
I practiced last night in the sink. Starting off it wasnt real pretty. After about an hr i got to where it wasnt a real big deal. I do still have to flood the mask slowly but I'm getting better at it. Once my nose is under the water I can just pop the mask off now. So I'm getting better

Thanks guys for all your help. I'll keep you updated and Saturday is the real deal. I will probably also ask the instructor if I can swim in the shallow with no mask and just the regulator for a bit before I try the test again.

Just feel sorry for Larry's students and the Joe training.

navyhmc
09-25-2009, 10:43
I practiced last night in the sink. Starting off it wasnt real pretty. After about an hr i got to where it wasnt a real big deal. I do still have to flood the mask slowly but I'm getting better at it. Once my nose is under the water I can just pop the mask off now. So I'm getting better

Thanks guys for all your help. I'll keep you updated and Saturday is the real deal. I will probably also ask the instructor if I can swim in the shallow with no mask and just the regulator for a bit before I try the test again.

Just feel sorry for Larry's students and the Joe training.

Oh what I wouldn't give to have a had video of that! :smiley36: Glad it's getting better. good luck!

inventor
09-25-2009, 11:08
[quote=Vercingetorix;334350]As others have suggested, try using the bathtub as a training environment:
http://images.veer.com/IMG/PIMG/SIP/SIP2002855_P.JPG

quote]

This is very close to my gear test environment. The pool by the house is only 5 feet deep ( 1.5 m, eh?). Testing in the sense of getting it wet and checking for leaks. Not that great for practicing bouyancy control.

As for the no mask, and nose breathing; hated having water in my mask in class, even a couple of drops, right at the nostrils, would stress me. So I wimped out and got a purge valve mask. Rarely use the purge now though, even if there is water in the mask, I've just gotten used to it. Don't seem to have trouble not breathing through the nose either.

Guess it's like getting car sick as a kid, when you start driving, you adjust to some things, and develop different ways of dealing with it.

Noob
09-25-2009, 11:13

Oh what I wouldn't give to have a had video of that! :smiley36: Glad it's getting better. good luck![/quote]

I was thinking the same exact thing when I was doing it. I gotta say its the first for me.

TJDiver
09-25-2009, 12:16
Glad you're getting more comfortable with it, Noob. I've seen people that couldn't stand even a drop of water in their mask...like inventor mentioned. I guess I have a high tolerance for it. When my son recently certified...and I re-certifed with him...I had quite a thick mustache, and refused to trim it any. Every time he and I would go diving, he would get my attention every now and then, and remind me to clear my mask. I guess him seeing the water up to my cheek bones bothered him more than it actually bothered me. I finally thinned my 'stache to stop the leakage so HE would relax. :smiley36:

Keep working on it gradually. What we do is not natural for humans, but you'll get comfy with it sooner or later.

Noob
09-27-2009, 19:08
well yesterday was canceled so we had our dive today. Thanks for the help. I completely took off my mask and breathed through the reg for one minute. No problems at all.:smiley20:

DMWiz
09-27-2009, 19:16
well yesterday was canceled so we had our dive today. Thanks for the help. I completely took off my mask and breathed through the reg for one minute. No problems at all.:smiley20:

Excellent... you'll look at this in a year or two and say, "I can't believe I had problems doing that!"

Pay it forward:smiley20:

awap
09-27-2009, 19:16

Careful, you might start doing it just to show off.