PDA

View Full Version : scuba versas free diving spearfishing

doggie
09-25-2009, 22:51
I just read through the hunting board and want to ask about your opinion.
what is more off a challenge spearfishing while scuba or free diving.
As I do both I found that spearfishing while scuba is more difficult then freediving as the fish does not like the sounds of bubbles. If you hit a big fish while scuba you have to fight him, while when free diving you let it go with the float. Also the distance between you and fish is much smaller so you come into close contact with sharks. But that is my opinion any other comments

emt
09-26-2009, 01:16
My opinion: Freediving usually = 1. shallower water dives where the fish have been exposed to us humans too frequently and they often swim away very fast. 2. the fish are usually smaller and are thus harder to hit.

Tank diving is usually in deeper water with bigger fish easier to hit and probably more willing to come and check you out occasionally. So, the bubble factor is more than canceled out; I would consider tank diving spearing easier usually in those conditions.

However, if you try to tank dive in shallow (less than 40ft) water; I agree 100% that the bubbles will make the fish even more spooked and that would be your most difficult spearing and trying to hit the smaller (average) fish in that area.

Sharks are everywhere so of course more difficult if in either vicinity trying to eat your catch.

In my opinion, more of a workout usually = freediving; more risk usually = freediving if deeper than 40ft; more pounds of fish caught per time in water = scuba.

caburrid
10-02-2009, 20:35
My opinion: Freediving usually = 1. shallower water dives where the fish have been exposed to us humans too frequently and they often swim away very fast. 2. the fish are usually smaller and are thus harder to hit.

Tank diving is usually in deeper water with bigger fish easier to hit and probably more willing to come and check you out occasionally. So, the bubble factor is more than canceled out; I would consider tank diving spearing easier usually in those conditions.

However, if you try to tank dive in shallow (less than 40ft) water; I agree 100% that the bubbles will make the fish even more spooked and that would be your most difficult spearing and trying to hit the smaller (average) fish in that area.

Sharks are everywhere so of course more difficult if in either vicinity trying to eat your catch.

In my opinion, more of a workout usually = freediving; more risk usually = freediving if deeper than 40ft; more pounds of fish caught per time in water = scuba.

How much of a bother are sharks when you are spear fishing? I am curious to know if they come up and take your grub, and never really asked before.

emt
10-02-2009, 21:34
Most of the time I spear a fish, the fish is in the boat and I've moved to another area before the sharks appear. If I jump in and see one shark in the vicinity or following me, I try to charge it and poke it to get it to swim away before I see a fish I want to spear.

doggie
10-04-2009, 05:31
We just came back from a nice day of diving and spearfishing. We did two dives on the same reef and speared some dogtooth and spanish mackerel. The strange thing was that on the first dive there were two sharks around but they did not pay any attention while we were spearing. At the second dive we did not see a shark at the beginning but at the end as my friend hit a tuna that grey reef shark came from no where and took it off the spear. After that he circled, had a look at us and as fast he came he disappeared. On our way back to the boat we hit another mackerel without getting attention from another visitor.

bottomdweller
10-13-2009, 20:46
We just came back from a nice day of diving and spearfishing. We did two dives on the same reef and speared some dogtooth and spanish mackerel. The strange thing was that on the first dive there were two sharks around but they did not pay any attention while we were spearing. At the second dive we did not see a shark at the beginning but at the end as my friend hit a tuna that grey reef shark came from no where and took it off the spear. After that he circled, had a look at us and as fast he came he disappeared. On our way back to the boat we hit another mackerel without getting attention from another visitor.

Were you freediving or scuba?

ratown
10-24-2009, 23:42
I spearfish deep with scuba and when shallow freediving. It is by no means easy to shoot a big fish with SCUBA on a wreck in 170' of water. You are dealing with exertion, decompression, and narcosis. I've actually been considering getting out of it - might just stick with freediving.

And sharks are a fact of life when spearfishing. To them you're just another predator. We've had them get too close for comfort, but I've never had a large shark come after my stringer. I have had nurse sharks go after the stringer though. We usually just lift our fish up on liftbags for the captain to grab.

doggie
11-04-2009, 05:19
sorry bottomdweller for the late answer as I haven't been here for awhile
Both dives were on scuba and not deeper then 20 meters.