PDA

View Full Version : Cheese with my whine?

Beefcake
09-26-2009, 02:25
I speared my first three fish today, and it was awesome! I am still adjusting to life under water, and I didn't want to task load too much, so I took a cheap pole-spear instead of the pneumatic gun I bought from a buddy when I learned to dive last year. I missed my first 3 shots, but I finally got the hang of the pole-spear and speared three fish in a row (2 small greenling and a large black rockfish). I was so stoked!

Now for the whine: I didn't come home with dinner. The first fish I speared was a small greenling that shook its way off the barbed paralizer (must not have been a great shot). The second was the only rockfish I found today; I made a good hit in the front 1/3 of him (near the gillplate), but he was above me slightly, and he swam up and shook off of the spear before I could gain control (I tried to chase him because I'm sure he wasn't going to make it, but I only had about 5' viz and lost track of him). The third shot was a clean shot on another greenling - he didn't even wiggle after I hit him, and I remembered to pin him to the ground just in case. Just as I was trying to get him on the stringer, he came to life and pulled free of the spear and swam off (once again, lost him in the poor viz). I feel like crap that these fish are probably crab food now, but I did the best I could. Any pointers for getting control of them quicker to get them on the stringer (obviously, I'll think twice before shooting a big fish that is above me again)?

emt
09-26-2009, 11:06
The state/feds etc. are presently trying to get spearing banned in another area of Florida (north of key largo -outside Biscayne Bay) stating that pole spearing will still be allowed.
Their argument includes a statement that pole-spearing people shoot less...lol.
It's just a way for them to slowly eliminate everything.

As you noted you shoot a pole-spear and miss quite a few fish. Especially if not under a rock.
A band speargun or pneumatic allows for less misses and less wounded fish and easier to see and select the fish in open water rather than guessing what it is under a rock. Also less damage to the reef if shot in open water vs. shooting into rocks/coral.
Spearboard has a section on this topic.

Answer: shoot close & usually under the rocks with pole spear pinning it on the bottom & forcing the spearing objects into fish = better odds of putting it on the stringer.

cmburch
09-26-2009, 11:42
I can take more fish with a polespear. Much faster to remove fish and ready for use. Florida it may be harder to get close to fish though compared to the groundfish along our coast.

I have never used a 3 prong with barbs. I was going to cut some into my tines. I have only lost a large fish with my polespear after hitting it in the head 3 times and fighting with it for a while each time. This prompted me to get a gun.

It may be that the tines are not spread enough. If you got the rockfish all the way through the head/gill plate area with the barbed tines it should have held. Maybe take a picture of the tines, so we can see it. Also perhaps plan the shot for hard head fish so it hits the head/gill plate area straight from one side. Get a login on SpearBoard and post in the Polespear section. You will get expert advice and learn a lot.

Some fish such as Rockfish and greenlings can be grabbed through the gills and do not rely on the tines to hold while stringing the fish. I would not grab Lingcod this way. I sometimes use a strong hoop stringer that is easy to jam through the gills fast.

Beefcake
09-26-2009, 21:57
emt- For my first time ever using a pole spear, I don't consider missing my first three shots to be that bad (especially since I hit 3/3 from then on). Were you a crack shot with your speargun when you first got it? I'm guessing I'd miss more if I switched to my pneumatic gun (not comfortable enough with my diving yet to task load using the gun). My main concern is not wasting game fish, which I think I can solve by changing tips. Unfortunately, I bought the cheapest pole-spear my LDS had, and it doesn't have a threaded end; I will have to buy a new shaft in order to change tips. I'm thinking of going to a single tip with a "flapper" like my speargun shaft has. Heck, I might even use one of the slip-tips from my speargun if I am expecting decent sized fish.

Crimediver
10-01-2009, 04:55
Hi,
I was going to suggest getting a new point. I dislike the 3 prong "paralyzer" for the same reasons you stated. A fish will pull a fast one on you if you can't pin them to the bottom with the pole. I have barbs on mine and it would still happen. I went with a rockpoint barbed spearpoint and quit losing fish. I own about 9 or 10 spearguns from pneumatic to larger band guns and everyrhing in between but I enjoy using a polespear the best for most of my u/w hunting. I also can bag them faster with a polespear as opposed to a gun as long as I don't bite of more than I can chew , size wise anyway. The learning curve for using a polespear is quick and easy and that is the one I keep going back to. I would sell the one you have or use it for poking flounder with but I would get one that allows you to screw on points. The 3 pronger does not do well when shooting around rocks or wrecks as it gets bent up.

cmburch
10-01-2009, 10:38
I was going to mention if you desire to hunt with a polespear instead of a gun it would be well to invest in a break-away spear tip and a heavier pole.

Spearos in Washington and Oregon take Lingcod using homemade heavier aluminum polespears with break-away spear points.

New Page 0 (http://www.spearfishing.cc/Pole%20Spears.htm)
Ray Odor makes a polespear with a flopper.

Crist Spears makes a hard hitting polespear Crist Spears - Home (http://www.cristspears.com/)

I have done business with both.

Tekdivr
10-01-2009, 11:40
I was going to mention if you desire to hunt with a polespear instead of a gun it would be well to invest in a break-away spear tip and a heavier pole.

Spearos in Washington and Oregon take Lingcod using homemade heavier aluminum polespears with break-away spear points.

New Page 0 (http://www.spearfishing.cc/Pole%20Spears.htm)
Ray Odor makes a polespear with a flopper.

Crist Spears makes a hard hitting polespear Crist Spears - Home (http://www.cristspears.com/)

I have done business with both.

I used to have the three piece Ray Odor spear and loved it! Very beefy design and broke down nicely for traveling. The toggle style tip will definitely help you with the problem you were having. I never tried using a stringer, just a bag, which worked nicely. I've grabbed some pretty large grouper and hogfish, in the bahama's, and never had a problem keeping them on the pole. :smiley20:

emt
10-01-2009, 18:19
I am unhappy with the state of Florida trying to ban spearing fish. Their present attack is at spearguns. You made me think of that topic which I am concerned about. Have fun & hopefully the law will let us keep spearing fish.
I know which I prefer usually and to each their own, sort of like a bcd discussion etc. many opinions and often none right or wrong since they usually all work for their purpose. As previously mentioned, conditions can vary and cause people to differ in accessories chosen.

Splitlip
10-01-2009, 18:39
I am unhappy with the state of Florida trying to ban spearing fish. Their present attack is at spearguns. You made me think of that topic which I am concerned about. Have fun & hopefully the law will let us keep spearing fish.
I know which I prefer usually and to each their own, sort of like a bcd discussion etc. many opinions and often none right or wrong since they usually all work for their purpose. As previously mentioned, conditions can vary and cause people to differ in accessories chosen.

They should ban most of the commercial methods.

A hunter is selective.,,never mind..another thread.

Beef: A paralyzer is only good IMO if you don't want the fish sliding down the shaft. (Lionfish). Even a breakaway in most cases takes care of thet.

Trash the paralyzer and checkout Spearboard.com.

Beefcake
10-02-2009, 14:35
Wow, I just got back to this thread; thanks for all the input. I have been looking at the Crist and Odor spears, but funds are tight (actually, their prices aren't that bad, so I'm hoping to justify it). I agree with Split; this is selective fishing at its finest.

emt, sorry if I got defensive; we're not facing closures here, so I'm sure my perspective is different. You might contact CCA to see if they can help preserve your rights, they seem like they have a good balance between protecting fish stocks and preserving sportfishing rights; I don't know what there stance on spearfishing is, but it seems that they may be on board (they are mostly for commercial reform while protecting sportfishing).

DIVERHERB
10-03-2009, 00:22
I spearfish the Gulf nearly every weekend and find that you are better off with a gun rather than a pole. The vis is not always great average is about 20ft. I have never seen spooked fish due to using a speargun. When the vis is like this you will actually stalk the fish you are after. As far as sharks are concerned you very seldom see them. You have more of a problem with the goliath grouper aka jew fish trying to grab your dinner. To be honest with you poll spearing or speargun it takes practice to bring dinner home. As far as Florida outlawing the sport its not happening. The area's that they have closed are mostly due to over fishing area's that have proved to be breeding grounds for certain species or are getting to much pressure from fishing.

Tekdivr
10-03-2009, 12:03
I spearfish the Gulf nearly every weekend and find that you are better off with a gun rather than a pole. The vis is not always great average is about 20ft. I have never seen spooked fish due to using a speargun. When the vis is like this you will actually stalk the fish you are after. As far as sharks are concerned you very seldom see them. You have more of a problem with the goliath grouper aka jew fish trying to grab your dinner. To be honest with you poll spearing or speargun it takes practice to bring dinner home. As far as Florida outlawing the sport its not happening. The area's that they have closed are mostly due to over fishing area's that have proved to be breeding grounds for certain species or are getting to much pressure from fishing.

Stalking the fish is over half the fun!!