PDA

View Full Version : Ways to Motivate a Man

caburrid
09-26-2009, 13:21
My husband and father in law built a half wall about 2 weeks ago, and after putting the putty on it and all it has been sitting waiting for painting and final touches for a week, with no progress being made. He is currently sitting on his butt watching football. Anyone out there with a suggestion on how I can motivate him to get it done? :smilie40:

Lulubelle
09-26-2009, 13:23
My husband and father in law built a half wall about 2 weeks ago, and after putting the putty on it and all it has been sitting waiting for painting and final touches for a week, with no progress being made. He is currently sitting on his butt watching football. Anyone out there with a suggestion on how I can motivate him to get it done? :smilie40:

He is going to finish his football game, so don't fight it. Use your wiles, but make it clear that party time is on the other side of painting and final touches. Heck, maybe even do it with him, just make sure you wear some sexy painting clothes!

Vercingetorix
09-26-2009, 14:54
I call shennanigans. EVERY woman KNOWS instinctively how to motivate a man. It's in her genes.

DevilDiver
09-26-2009, 16:18
I call shennanigans. EVERY woman KNOWS instinctively how to motivate a man. It's in her genes.

Is that genes or jeans? :smiley5:

Travelnsj
09-26-2009, 16:29
Take him to Fiji if he will finish the job:smiley20:

Vlane
09-26-2009, 16:55

Is that genes or jeans? :smiley5:
Quoted for the truth.

Cougar Diver
09-26-2009, 16:55
You cant compete with football so dont sweat it. You could always do it yourself and when it comes time for dinner tell him you are too busy with the wall so now he has to cook. better yet make reservations!!

Vercingetorix
09-26-2009, 17:28
Is that genes or jeans? :smiley5:I actually had "jeans" in as well, but removed to prevent possible bannination. The ladies here are kinda sensitive.:smilie39:

awap
09-26-2009, 18:02
If you go down to the local Home Depot or Lowe's, the lady at the paint department will fix you right up.

Splitlip
09-26-2009, 19:17
Framing, hanging, mudding, sanding (did they sand it?) is man's work. Painting is for girls.

BuzzF117
09-26-2009, 19:34
Framing, hanging, mudding, sanding (did they sand it?) is man's work. Painting is for girls.

AMEN!!

caburrid
09-26-2009, 19:51

Lol, whatever! It seems like that USED to work as motivation BEFORE we got married. :smiley36: I got him to do it. You know what I did? I went and got him a six pack of beer and promised it to him along with cooked dinner when he got it painted. Is it sad that works better now than the other thing? lol. :smilie39:

navyhmc
09-26-2009, 20:20
Hmm, have you tried a stun gun? Works for my wife! :smiley36:

Diver Kat
09-26-2009, 20:49
Hid all the remotes till the wall is finished ..... bet it's done before kick-off! LOL!! :smiley2:

Lulubelle
09-26-2009, 22:58

Do it yourself :smiley20: (Coming from a single girl). I bring in the rent a husband for things that involve plumbing, carpentry, and even painting. Then I send him away. Works for me.

inventor
09-26-2009, 23:25
Is that genes or jeans? :smiley5:I actually had "jeans" in as well, but removed to prevent possible bannination. The ladies here are kinda sensitive.:smilie39:

Being upset about something on this thread is like getting upset because of Men's room grafitti. You shouldn't be there reading it.

IRA :smiley30:

PACKRMAN
09-27-2009, 08:42
Do it yourself :smiley20: (Coming from a single girl). I bring in the rent a husband for things that involve plumbing, carpentry, and even painting. Then I send him away. Works for me.

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Vercingetorix
09-27-2009, 08:43
Lol, whatever! It seems like that USED to work as motivation BEFORE we got married. :smiley36: I got him to do it. You know what I did? I went and got him a six pack of beer and promised it to him along with cooked dinner when he got it painted. Is it sad that works better now than the other thing? lol. :smilie39:

Hmmm...

Six-pack of beer? Check.
Home-cooked meal? Check.

Next time, lady. Call me. I'll be right over. (Sam Adams for the beer, though).

Framing, hanging, mudding, sanding (did they sand it?) is man's work. Painting is for girls.Word up, dawg.

Travelnsj
09-27-2009, 10:29

You know I think you hit the nail on the head:smiley20:....for a Single person (coming from a single guy) Renting would be money saver:smiley20:....what a novel idea!

scubagirlj
09-27-2009, 10:57
quit fighting your head-when you want something done right, or right away, DIY

Lulubelle
09-27-2009, 15:40

There is a small ACE hardware near my home. I keep telling the owner, who is in a low traffic high rent district, that he needs to have DIY classes aimed at women. I've learned how to do a lot over the years, but I want to learn how to do trim carpentry and such. I have a bonus room to finish, and want to be part of the labor. I already can do minor electric, a holdover from my tech crew days doing lighting and sound design for performances held at UNC.

Girl Power.

DMWiz
09-27-2009, 16:38
I already can do minor electric, a holdover from my tech crew days doing lighting and sound design for performances held at UNC.

Girl Power.

Leather boots and power tools... looks like a calendar to me!:smiley20: No more motivation needed.

PACKRMAN
09-27-2009, 16:48
I already can do minor electric, a holdover from my tech crew days doing lighting and sound design for performances held at UNC.

Girl Power.

Leather boots and power tools... looks like a calendar to me!:smiley20: No more motivation needed.

Throw in that six pack and charge admision

emt
09-27-2009, 16:56

For me this works:
If I finish the job desired, I get to go on a trip to the keys. Also put a TV in the room where work is desired with volume at max. setting while working.

I'm sure you know of a similar desire of his.

lol, If he won't take you up on that deal...I will....

Lulubelle
09-27-2009, 19:39

Girl Power.

LOL, bring it on, but I'll have you doing the work before you know that I am doing it. One problem though, I don't have many tools, only a power drill and the basics. And before any of you...(SL)...jump on this, I am only interested in the types of tools one buys at the hardware store!~:smiley5:

Splitlip
09-27-2009, 20:05

Girl Power.

LOL, bring it on, but I'll have you doing the work before you know that I am doing it. One problem though, I don't have many tools, only a power drill and the basics. And before any of you...(SL)...jump on this, I am only interested in the types of tools one buys at the hardware store!~:smiley5:
Crap! And I was gonna be so on that!

Lulubelle
09-27-2009, 20:07

Girl Power.

Crap! And I was gonna be so on that!

You know, my bad, I should have let that one go. What is the fun in cutting you off at the pass?

snagel
09-28-2009, 06:37
I guess I'm lucky...my wife actually likes all the home remodel stuff and doesn't mind getting in and getting her hands dirty (although she has slowed down a little lately). A couple years back, I bought her a table saw for her birthday....she loved it. They guy at the store thought I was nuts and headed for a quick divorce. She then wanted a router (because she could make pretty designs - too much watching home improvement shows). I tried to tell her that a router is a very dangerous piece of equipment, but she insisted. Well, we got one and I tried to show her how to use it and was very concerned she was going to hurt herself. She turned it on and it went crazy and as predicted almost disaster. She hasn't touched it since.

How does she motivate me on projects? If I don't get them started, she starts them. I came home one day and she tore all the paneling off the walls in one room. The drywall was torn up so she tried to patch it with drywall paste - to the point of putting a layer of paste over the whole wall. I couldn't stand it and eventually had to tear out all the drywall and put up new. She told me later that if she just kept tearing things up, I would eventually start repairing.

Snagel

emt
09-28-2009, 07:26
"She told me later that if she just kept tearing things up, I would eventually start repairing."

Snagel

I think your wife is far smarter than you have realized and I would reexamine the: I guess I'm lucky...my wife actually "LIKES" all the home remodel stuff.

Now, don't pass that idea on to my wife, lol, I much prefer the trips to the Keys.......But, I know what you mean by it gets to a point where you have to do something.

scubadiver888
09-28-2009, 09:13

There is a small ACE hardware near my home. I keep telling the owner, who is in a low traffic high rent district, that he needs to have DIY classes aimed at women. I've learned how to do a lot over the years, but I want to learn how to do trim carpentry and such. I have a bonus room to finish, and want to be part of the labor. I already can do minor electric, a holdover from my tech crew days doing lighting and sound design for performances held at UNC.

Girl Power.

Hey Lulubelle, we have a Canadian Actress (Mag Ruffman (http://www.toolgirl.com/)) who became a General Contractor in order to pay the rent before making it in acting. She appears regularly at home renovation shows, morning talk shows and had her own television show on Home & Garden Television Canada.

She actually does better work than a lot of guys I know.

Maybe you could be the USA equivalent of Tool Girl. :smiley2:

Lulubelle
09-28-2009, 09:16
[
Hey Lulubelle, we have a Canadian Actress (Mag Ruffman (http://www.toolgirl.com/)) who became a General Contractor in order to pay the rent before making it in acting. She appears regularly at home renovation shows, morning talk shows and had her own television show on Home & Garden Television Canada.

As long as I don't have to put up with the "other" kind of "tools" that would be fun. Who knows, I might need another line of work after these medical absences.

Only problem is that I am ...ahem...44 and not at the young gorgeous girl on TV stage anymore :smiley13:

scubadiver888
09-28-2009, 09:35
[

As long as I don't have to put up with the "other" kind of "tools" that would be fun. Who knows, I might need another line of work after these medical absences.

Only problem is that I am ...ahem...44 and not at the young gorgeous girl on TV stage anymore :smiley13:

If your avatar is a picture of you, you're looking pretty good to me. Mag Ruffman (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0749316/) is 52 and still pretty hot.

scubagirlj
09-28-2009, 12:58
takes me back to when i was a kid, circa late-1960's- mom took me and brothers to grandparents for weekend(was army-navy game and you did not want to be in same house with WP grad dad)-he was supposed to paint living room, flat paint on walls & ceiling, gloss on trim and crown molding- we came home to the shiniest living room you had ever seen! between the bud tall boys and the game on tv he had used to gloss on the walls! can't remeber details of ensuing conversation but he never was left alone to do home improvement jobs again

Lulubelle
09-28-2009, 13:32

If your avatar is a picture of you, you're looking pretty good to me. Mag Ruffman (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0749316/) is 52 and still pretty hot.[/quote]

:smiley9: Thanks, that makes me feel good, especially since I FEEL about 110 right now. Pic was this past May at a wedding...a happy time.

gNats
09-28-2009, 14:39

Pick up the paint, paint brushes, tape and tarp. Carry them past him without saying a word. Whistle a snappy ditty if you can.

If he is the type that gets nervous when a woman picks up tools (power tools especially) he will run like he has the ball in the endzone to see what you could be possibly thinking.

Smile cheerfully and say you felt like taking this on, and he should go back to his game. Then proceed to look like you haven't a clue how to do it yourself. (This is where a power tool, even one you DON"T need, is good as a prop).

He will assume ownership for fear of what he will have to fix should you mess it up.

If he doesn't budge from the chair, then do it yourself. Who says you can't throw a few coats of paint on something if you want it done? You'll be proud of your accomplishment.

If he doesn't budge AND you really don't know how to paint, well, head off to Lowe's, Home Depot, or your nearby do-it-yourself shop, and pick the cutest guy in the paint department.

If you have to ask questions and learn something new, you might as well enjoy yourself, right? :smiley2:

Seriously, I tell my neighbor this all the time. You can complain that he doesn't do it or you can do it yourself and be proud of your accomplishment. If dinner is late to the table, you have a pretty good reason why.

Pick your battles, right?

Desert_Diver
09-28-2009, 14:40
You know, my bad, I should have let that one go. What is the fun in cutting you off at the pass?

Perverse satisfaction? :smiley20:

Desert_Diver
09-28-2009, 14:47
Pick up the paint, paint brushes, tape and tarp. Carry them past him without saying a word. Whistle a snappy ditty if you can.

If he is the type that gets nervous when a woman picks up tools (power tools especially) he will run like he has the ball in the endzone to see what you could be possibly thinking.

Smile cheerfully and say you felt like taking this on, and he should go back to his game. Then proceed to look like you haven't a clue how to do it yourself. (This is where a power tool, even one you DON"T need, is good as a prop).

He will assume ownership for fear of what he will have to fix should you mess it up.

If he doesn't budge from the chair, then do it yourself. Who says you can't throw a few coats of paint on something if you want it done? You'll be proud of your accomplishment.

If he doesn't budge AND you really don't know how to paint, well, head off to Lowe's, Home Depot, or your nearby do-it-yourself shop, and pick the cutest guy in the paint department.

If you have to ask questions and learn something new, you might as well enjoy yourself, right? :smiley2:

Seriously, I tell my neighbor this all the time. You can complain that he doesn't do it or you can do it yourself and be proud of your accomplishment. If dinner is late to the table, you have a pretty good reason why.

The scary part is that you're going to get married and make some really nice kid miserable.... :smiley13:

You shouldn't post this stuff where other women might see it. :smilie39:

Art

scubadiver888
09-28-2009, 15:06

The other option is to hire someone to do the painting and next time he wants to buy something (golf clubs, scuba gear, etc.) for himself, tell him he cannot afford it because you had to hire someone to paint the house. :smiley36:

cowgirldiver
09-29-2009, 13:44
I found over the years, I'm really good at tearing things up/down-not so good at putting it back together....You can really take your frustrations out on that stuff. One weekend when my ex was off at a party, I pulled the entire kitchen floor up to the studs!! Unfortunately, it stayed that way for a while....

Vercingetorix
09-29-2009, 16:59
My wife threatens me. She'll tell me, "Rick, I'm going to hang these pictures. I don't know how many nail holes I'll put into the wall before I get it exactly where I want them."

That motivates me.

gNats
09-30-2009, 10:56

The scary part is that you're going to get married and make some really nice kid miserable.... :smiley13:

You shouldn't post this stuff where other women might see it. :smilie39:

Art

This actually worked on my Dad. I was about 20ish, and I told him I was painting my bedroom ceiling. He came over to see how I was doing. I was on the couch reading a book when he pulled up. Before he could walk in, I ran to the bedroom picked up a roller on a stick, sloshed it into the paint, and started painting the ceiling by walking up and down the room. He took one look at my efforts and grabbed the roller from me to show me how it was done. In 15 minutes the ceiling was painted.

For the record, I am a single homeowner and do all of my own repairs including dropping electrical boxes into cabinets. I did hire a plumber to plumb some new water and gas lines, but the rest of the stuff, I do on my own.

Desert_Diver
09-30-2009, 13:46
This actually worked on my Dad. I was about 20ish, and I told him I was painting my bedroom ceiling. He came over to see how I was doing. I was on the couch reading a book when he pulled up. Before he could walk in, I ran to the bedroom picked up a roller on a stick, sloshed it into the paint, and started painting the ceiling by walking up and down the room. He took one look at my efforts and grabbed the roller from me to show me how it was done. In 15 minutes the ceiling was painted.

For the record, I am a single homeowner and do all of my own repairs including dropping electrical boxes into cabinets. I did hire a plumber to plumb some new water and gas lines, but the rest of the stuff, I do on my own.

Hmmmm.

A personal testimonial about your home maintenance talents.

Preceded by a story of manipulation and subterfuge of you pulling the Tom Sawyer job on your father.

Dissonance. Discord. Grinding gears.

How exactly does one story support the other? :dunno:

Or is this an example of the ends justify the means? :smiley2:

Art

gNats
09-30-2009, 13:58

Hmmmm.

Preceded by a story of manipulation and subterfuge of you pulling the Tom Sawyer job on your father.

Art

Well, one must keep it in context. I was 22. Daddy's little girl and quite the girly girl at that. One who hated manual labor that was meant to build character. Add math to the manual labor (like figuring out how much paint you need to paint a 12 x 15 room) and I was sooooooo not interested.

The Tom Sawyer job was, um 22 yrs. ago. Since then, I have been forced to acknowledge that the buck stops at my feet. And, if I want it done, I best save my money or learn how to do it myself. Since I have exceptionally fun hobbies that require a great deal of money, I found learning how to do it myself serves me best.

And, it's pretty cool to be able to sit around and chat about home remodeling projects with the guys and actually be able to say I've done more than use a butter knife to tighten a doorknob screw.

:smiley2:

Noob
09-30-2009, 14:41
Wow, I must be too nice or enjoy projects too much. If I had a wonderful woman bringing me beer and stuff I'd be all over those projects.

Not much better then a woman that knows how to use some tools.

Splitlip
09-30-2009, 19:38

Hmmmm.

Art

Well, one must keep it in context. I was 22. Daddy's little girl and quite the girly girl at that. One who hated manual labor that was meant to build character. Add math to the manual labor (like figuring out how much paint you need to paint a 12 x 15 room) and I was sooooooo not interested.

The Tom Sawyer job was, um 22 yrs. ago. Since then, I have been forced to acknowledge that the buck stops at my feet. And, if I want it done, I best save my money or learn how to do it myself. Since I have exceptionally fun hobbies that require a great deal of money, I found learning how to do it myself serves me best.

And, it's pretty cool to be able to sit around and chat about home remodeling projects with the guys and actually be able to say I've done more than use a butter knife to tighten a doorknob screw.

I am definitely your biggest fan! Rock On! \m/ :smiley20:

rednose83
09-30-2009, 21:19

Hehe this is exactly what I do.

Alternatively, mention that you hired someone else to do it since he doesn't know how/can't handle it. he'll be up in a heartbeat.

Diver Kat
09-30-2009, 21:21
I have the total opposite problem .... I like doing projects - hubby does not. (My Dad was an electrician, my brother is a plumber ... I think it's in the blood!) So every time I mention a project I want to do, he runs out and hires someone before I can get going! I wanted to paint - wham! He had a bid in no time flat! I wanted to pull the kitchen & bath wallpaper - wham! He had someone in before I could blink! I did manage to install the electrical outlet boxes and the new light fixtures in both baths and all the new bath hardware. And I pulled out a built-in desk & cabinet in the kitchen before he got home one day .... now I have to see when I can build the new shelves for the spot. The one project he decided we could do together was installing the new garbage disposal. THAT was pretty interesting! But we did get it in and working!! (Maybe why he hasn't volunteered for a project since! :smiley2:)

Desert_Diver
10-01-2009, 08:45

Hmmmm.

Art

OK. We'll give you high marks for honesty and competance then. :smiley20:

Art

coral cowgirl
10-02-2009, 00:20
"He took one look at my efforts and grabbed the roller from me to show me how it was done."

rayaa3
10-06-2009, 13:20
OK - so I read through this thread a while back when it first popped up...and today I thought I'll post some cute smart ass list about how to motivate a woman...

so I went to my good friend google...so I could borrow (steal) someone's list of ways to motivate a woman...

You know what - I couldn't find any...

which lead me to googling results for ways to motivate a man...thousands of webpage hits...

motivate a woman...nothing useful to be found.

At first I thought it was because men don't care to motivate women do things...we just exist, nod our heads, and go in the general direction we are told (motivated) to go.

The more I consider the question though, I asked myself how I motivate my wife to do things I want her to do.

alcohol.

ok - mystery solved.

PACKRMAN
10-06-2009, 13:23
OK - so I read through this thread a while back when it first popped up...and today I thought I'll post some cute smart ass list about how to motivate a woman...

so I went to my good friend google...so I could borrow (steal) someone's list of ways to motivate a woman...

You know what - I couldn't find any...

which lead me to googling results for ways to motivate a man...thousands of webpage hits...

motivate a woman...nothing useful to be found.

At first I thought it was because men don't care to motivate women do things...we just exist, nod our heads, and go in the general direction we are told (motivated) to go.

The more I consider the question though, I asked myself how I motivate my wife to do things I want her to do.

alcohol.

ok - mystery solved.

DON'T FORGET THE DIAMONDS:smiley11:

John Yaskowich
10-06-2009, 14:38
"He took one look at my efforts and grabbed the roller from me to show me how it was done."

If I saw my wife making a hash of a job (and I knew she was trying to con me into being motivated) I would probably grab a chair and a beer so I could be comfortable while coaching her efforts.

Yes, I do sleep on the sofa a fair bit. Why do you ask?

Doug B
10-06-2009, 21:35

Putty ? (eyes closed with head shaking slightly side to side......) Putty is for filling nail holes.

"mud" goes on dry wall.

If he's got the wall built, dry wall hung and mud applied, make sure it's smooth, if not, sand it.... don't use sand paper, use the sanding screen they make for dry wall mud...

Then, two coats of paint on the walls and trim, and you're done.

You can do it... the hot chick in the Home Depot paint department can help.... but be careful, she only works three days a week. The other days, the ugly idiot works the paint department.