PDA

View Full Version : Pilates....

BRsnow
09-28-2009, 16:44
I have started pilates as I herniated a few discs in my lower back and had lost much function in my left leg. I am very active so I have taken as many steps as possible to avoid any further episodes. I missed a full season of mountain biking and other activities due to the injury. I was still able to dive, so that worked out fine...

Pilates is something else, I thought I had a strong core and good breathing skills prior to...but I was wrong. I am just getting started and they difference is felt immediately for me. Looking forward to continued work, but can say this is the first exercise I have done that I believe will yield long term rewards....thought I would share...BR

Lulubelle
09-28-2009, 16:55
I have started pilates as I herniated a few discs in my lower back and had lost much function in my left leg. I am very active so I have taken as many steps as possible to avoid any further episodes. I missed a full season of mountain biking and other activities due to the injury. I was still able to dive, so that worked out fine...

Pilates is something else, I thought I had a strong core and good breathing skills prior to...but I was wrong. I am just getting started and they difference is felt immediately for me. Looking forward to continued work, but can say this is the first exercise I have done that I believe will yield long term rewards....thought I would share...BR

Do share your results. Herniated disks are generally thought to be impossible to fix once the pain gets to a certain level. If core strengthening can help you avoid the knife, then I might have a few friend to push in that direction.

BRsnow
09-28-2009, 17:06

Do share your results. Herniated disks are generally thought to be impossible to fix once the pain gets to a certain level. If core strengthening can help you avoid the knife, then I might have a few friend to push in that direction.

Well I am a decent source of info, I actually had a microdiscectomy in 2000 when I was 28 years old. I followed the PT and was fine, I am an avid snowboarder, mountain biker, tend to keep pretty busy. Never had an issues since 2000. This summer I was working out with a trainer and did an exercise that I felt screwed me up right away.

I did not have the typical shooting pain, but really lost uses of my leg to the point where walking was dangerous if I did not totally concentrate and getting up stairs was very difficult and sometimes not an option. I choose to avoid surgery this time around via Dr. recommendation and did one epidural shot and a serious devotion to PT. I added in the Pilates at the suggestion of the PT, and close to feeling stronger than I ever have. I will keep you up to date as to how things workout...BR

Vlane
09-28-2009, 20:31
Sorry to hear about the disk, back injuries are no fun. I had a little one, 3 vertebrates out of alignment, and it would make me cringe if I turned the wrong way. Pilates are definitely a core workout though. I did them with my girlfriend once and I'll hand it to you ladies, and daring men, that can do those exercises.

snagel
09-29-2009, 05:36
I have to give it to all the ladies that do this. Our company just started offering Yoga at work (part of their wellness efforts and stress reduction). Last week was the first week and I got talked into joining the session to show some support for the program. My first thought, what? This is work and isn't this something that girls do - men lift weights and participate in man sports. Well, after 30 minutes, I now have to say, that is a workout and not just something women do.

BTW, I too have back problems - 2 herniated discs and trying to avoid the knife.

Snagel

BRsnow
09-29-2009, 07:05
It is odd that you all seem to think it is a girl thing, I guess because I lived in NYC and now Denver, it might be different in the city, but seems to be 50/50 here as far as yoga/pilates go...it is also a nice place to meet girls as well:)...eitherway, I will let you all know if it continues to show benefits...BR

Lulubelle
09-29-2009, 07:12
It is odd that you all seem to think it is a girl thing, I guess because I lived in NYC and now Denver, it might be different in the city, but seems to be 50/50 here as far as yoga/pilates go...it is also a nice place to meet girls as well:)...eitherway, I will let you all know if it continues to show benefits...BR

Well those are two cities where the gender lines blur, which is a good thing. Pilates is great core work. If I can do judo/thai kickboxing, no reason why you can't do Pilates and yoga. I just am a bit intrigued by the use of Pilates for herniated disks. It makes some sense that it could help. And I am a knife avoider unless everything else has been explored.

boates
09-29-2009, 10:55
pilates was actually invented as a method for recovery for bed-ridden patients.

hence, the cables, tables, props, used in the program.

Glad you love it!:smiley20:

BRsnow
10-04-2009, 21:49
Quick update, I really am pleased that I have incorporated this into my rehab. I am lucky and my instructor went through the same thing and her specialty is back issues. I am retraining my body, as it is funny how awkward it can be. Seriously though, as I am learning to use the right muscles and lessen the bad form I have used for years the effects are unreal. I would equate it to a new diver, when it just clicks and all of sudden your air last and you are no longer an air hog.

It is hard work and mentally and physically exhausting, but for me it has been unreal. It really makes sense as you learn it...It is almost as addicting as diving...almost:smiley2:

BRsnow
10-13-2009, 19:14
Quick update, I am still gaining back strength in my leg as the nerve will take sometime to repair, but I am able to to do a full intense interval workout on the elliptical machine and am back to my normal upper body workouts. The weight training for my bad leg has shifted to higher weights and lower reps. My bad leg is still only about 40% of it's normal self, but I have little doubt I will be doing some serious snowboarding come this winter and have been able to mountain bike quite a bit......I would say the changes to my body, flexibility, and core strength from the pilates is probably 70% of the more accelerated and solid recovery I am experiencing. The difference is just the manner of sitting, standing, walking...actually tones and strengths muscles in those activities. Pretty pleased and really look forward to each class...just wish it was not so darn expensive:)

clavicl3
10-13-2009, 19:25
I've seen people do pilates and have realized that I have neither the flexibility nor the balance to do it. Major props to those who can do it.

BRsnow
10-13-2009, 19:39
I've seen people do pilates and have realized that I have neither the flexibility nor the balance to do it. Major props to those who can do it.

You start out with no balance and flexibility and end up like the people you saw...I am no where near what the other people in my beginners class are doing, but the benefits are pretty immediate...

BRsnow
11-29-2009, 11:15
Quick update, I don't think my core has ever been stronger. I don't have any back pain at all and I am getting strength back in my left leg. I am doing other PT and intensive weight work to rebuild the leg as well. It would appear the nerve is going to grow back...crazy what damage a herniated disc can do...Pilates has really helped and I actually believe I will going from unable to walk in early July to back snowboarding the back country here in CO by early 2010. Cracks me up, I think my core is stronger now than it was when I was in high school. Also have gain back a bit of height as the whole shape of my body has changed for the better. It really extends and stretches. Pretty pleased...BR

cowgirldiver
11-30-2009, 12:26
I don't know where you are taking your Pilates classes, but you might check out your local Y, this is almost always a class they offer and they usually have other things to offer besides. They tend to be a little cheaper than most gyms.

BRsnow
02-07-2010, 21:43
bit of an update, I did the abs section of P90X with little difficulty and not really breaking a real sweat...pretty amazing what type of core strength you build with Pilates. I was pretty amazed...BR

Cheddarchick
02-08-2010, 19:05
Great to hear you are doing better