PDA

View Full Version : Diving in Texas...

dianatx13
09-29-2009, 20:48
Hi everyone,

I've been to Lake Travis and ClearSprings, but that's it for local dive spots. Can someone tell me where else they dive and what they think of Blue Lagoon and Athens? Also, is Mammoth Lake worth the trek from DFW?

Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks!

mrm777
09-30-2009, 00:44
Blue Lagoon is good if it hasn't been raining which really affects the via. It's a pretty setting and not too crowded.

Vercingetorix
09-30-2009, 05:59
Athens is a dead zone. By that, I mean, it contains no life whatsoever. No fish. No plants. It has a very soft muddy bottom that silts-out easily. Visibility is about 3 feet. The water color is a cloudy, soft auqua-blue.

It has some things to dive on, such as the cargo plane fuselage and bus. A few other objects as well. In the summer, it is bathtub warm; no wetsuit required.

I've been there multiple times and the conditions are consistent. I don't know what autum/windeter temps are like, though.

I'm looking forward to going to Mammoth next year.

Coaster
09-30-2009, 23:13
Athens has had low viz every time when I was there.

snagel
10-01-2009, 04:57
Hi dianatex13 and welcome to the board,

There are several entries for dive spots in Texas at Midwestmuckdiving (http://www.midwestmuckdiving.com) although some have not been updated recently, but it will give you an idea. If you make any dives, please give us an update.

Snagel