PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas on wesuit Repair?

HoosierDaddy
07-12-2007, 11:54
My wetsuit started to open up at the seem in the crotch area. I used some standard thread and closed the rip, then used a ton of Water Proof Sealant in attempt to secure it.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Anyone ever make home repairs to their wetsuit?</DIV>

cummings66
07-13-2007, 08:15
Sounds about right, seam sealant after fixing the missing thread. Make sure you don't use regular thread because it will rot out pretty quick and the work you did will end up for naught.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Standard thread will only hold for so long. Get a synthetic.</DIV>

DirtyWaterIL
07-15-2007, 07:45
Cummings is right with the synthetic thread thing, and also make sure when you use sealant you get the neoprene as cleanas you possibly can otherwise it will start to peel off very quickly.

Lucky(AR)
07-17-2007, 16:24
i sealed the crap out of mine lasted for about 4 or 5 dives started ripping again so im hoping i win this wetsuit from scubatoys....lol...if not will just bite the bullet and buy a new one

somewhereinla
07-18-2007, 20:15
Use Aqua Seal

JahJahwarrior
07-21-2007, 17:09
If you don't know much about sewing, find someone who does :) Also, look at webpges that show how they make wetsuits, and try to copy their stitch.

Aquaseal is good, you could also try aquasealing on a patch of some sort, like nylon, perhaps?

If it was a cheap wetsuit, I'd start saving for a new one. If it was expensive, lots of places custom make suits and could fix it, probably for $25-$50. Otherwise, you could try selling it cheaply here or on other diving forums, lots of yokels like myself will buy anything cheap and then spend a week slaving over it to fix it. Never worth it, but it's fun :)

Other ideas:

Cut it up and make mats out of it, put them in front of the sink to stand on. Does wonders for the feet!

Shred it up and stuff a pillow with it. Comfy, a good smell, and totally waterproof!

Cut it up and make a wetsuit for your dog out of the pieces. This will require knowledge of how to sew, and if you can do this, you can probably fix the rip :) Plus, your dog probably won't like it. But if done well and you can make a full face mask for your dog and take him on a shallow dive with you, you could get on network television! Maybe then Mares or Scubapro would sponsor you, and you could get a free wetsuit!

Beer coozies. Divers might buy them.

Black-Gorrilla
07-23-2007, 14:29
Cut it up and make a wetsuit for your dog out of the pieces. This will require knowledge of how to sew, and if you can do this, you can probably fix the rip :) Plus, your dog probably won't like it. But if done well and you can make a full face mask for your dog and take him on a shallow dive with you, you could get on network television! Maybe then Mares or Scubapro would sponsor you, and you could get a free wetsuit!

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>hardly seems worth the trouble... but yeah, try that and let us know how it went...</DIV>