PDA

View Full Version : Three days of diving, three days of golf . . . seriously . . . does it get any better

rfreddo
10-03-2009, 18:28
Heading to Maui on November 2nd, and hanging out with some friends at Wailea Point until the 8th. Will be doing a two tank dive with Shaka Divers on Tuesday morning, then going back out with them for their two tank twilight dive. Really looking forward to the night dive. Then on Wednesday and thursday it will be morning dives with Mike Severns. This will be my first dive trip to Hawaii, and I'm totally stoked. Have snorkeled on Oahu many times, and have heard so many great things about the diving off of Maui. Thanks to everyone on the ST Forum for their advice and trip reports. It's been great reading.

Oh, and if you wondering how I could possibly occupy myself for the other three days without diving, I'll be playing two rounds Friday, two rounds Saturday and one on Sunday. All at Wailea and Kapalua.

One month and counting. It's going to be a loooong month!

navyhmc
10-03-2009, 18:35
In the words of Mark Twain: Golf is a pleasant walk in the country spoiled by a little white ball. 6 days of diving sounds better.

No matter what, enjoy your trip, and have a great time! pack, repack, rerepack, look over the itinerary 2,371 times and you know you're really stoked when you are down to counting minutes.

BTW, you know why they call that game Golf? All the other 4 letter words were taken (from one of the pro's at St. Andrews in Scotland (not a golfer but got to play the front 9 there in '95.)

inventor
10-03-2009, 18:54
Apparently neither flying (GA) nor high powered rocketry was involved. As such, yes, it could get better.

You enjoy, we envy. Have a good trip!

rfreddo
10-03-2009, 19:27
Inventor - Decided to leave my skydiving stuff at home this trip (clubs and Scuba stuff were enough) and the pilot license is a little rusty, so probably best that it stay in the wallet. As for the rocketry, hmmm, does an estes with a couple D engines count? Not sure it's high powered or that I could get in on the plane for that matter. Oh well, can't have everything!

CompuDude
10-03-2009, 20:06
Enjoy!

I'm with Navy, though 6 days of diving would be better.

But, if you insist on being entertained by playing fetch with yourself with one of those little white balls, there are worse places than Hawaii to be. ;)

inventor
10-03-2009, 20:44
Inventor - Decided to leave my skydiving stuff at home this trip (clubs and Scuba stuff were enough) and the pilot license is a little rusty, so probably best that it stay in the wallet. As for the rocketry, hmmm, does an estes with a couple D engines count? Not sure it's high powered or that I could get in on the plane for that matter. Oh well, can't have everything!

Such is life. Enjoy your trip, have a beverage of your choice for all the rest of us!

:smiley20:

navyhmc
10-03-2009, 20:46
Enjoy!

I'm with Navy, though 6 days of diving would be better.

But, if you insist on being entertained by playing fetch with yourself with one of those little white balls, there are worse places than Hawaii to be. ;)

:smilie39: :smilie39: :smilie39: I've never heard golf called that, I love it! :smilie39:

Have a great time rfreddo!

rfreddo
10-03-2009, 21:03
Navyhmc - I blame my golf addiction on two years living in Wichita in the early 90s. As hard as I looked, just couldn't find any oceans. Golf courses on the other hand . . . .

navyhmc
10-03-2009, 21:25
Navyhmc - I blame my golf addiction on two years living in Wichita in the early 90s. As hard as I looked, just couldn't find any oceans. Golf courses on the other hand . . . .

...I....AM.....SOoooooo.... Sorry!!!! :smiley36: :smiley36: :smiley36:

I see you were able to escape! Good Job.

Of course, you realize that doo-dah is a veritable black hole, you can never really escape it's gravitational pull. You think you've escaped and then suddenly one morning, you find yourself waking up in a ranch style house in the McConnell flight path....screaming!. :smiley36:

emt
10-03-2009, 23:01

I wonder if I could blame my diving on Golf. I enjoyed trespassing and entering the ponds late at night, Squishing the mud and ocassionally grabbing frogs (luckily no snakes) while picking up golf balls After that, we would climb the fence of a local rec. center to clean off at about 4am in their swimming pool. That was only about 30 years ago...lol..

It sounds like a fun trip to Maui...

Zenagirl
10-04-2009, 08:42
Sounds like you have a great trip planned to Maui! Although I don't play golf, I've run into enough people on dive boats who do, and to a fault they rave about the courses on Maui. I've heard the "Gold" course in Wailea is the best of the 3 there....

You should have a fabulous time and have picked two really good dive operators to dive with. They should be able to show you all the cool critters and you'll quickly understand the stark beauty of Hawaii diving.

Please post a trip report...about the diving at least ;) We're heading to Maui for Christmas/New Years and can't wait to get into the water. In the meantime, living vicariously through others is the best I can do. :D

Splitlip
10-04-2009, 13:39
Three days of diving, three days of golf . . . seriously . . . does it get any better

Yup. Skip the golf, LOL.

rfreddo
10-04-2009, 13:50
There's nothing more humbling than a combined diving and golf vacation. If the magnificence of the sea and it's amazing creatures doesn't put you in your place, a few rounds of golf certainly will!

navyhmc
10-04-2009, 15:06
"...you missed the @##%^* putt, didn't you?" :smilie39:

Glub000
10-15-2009, 17:52
The two best hobbies in the one of the best places in the world. Good luck and hit 'em straight. Hey do you think they would let us start our own golf sub-forum it sounds like its preatty popular around here.

CompuDude
10-15-2009, 18:19
The two best hobbies in the one of the best places in the world. Good luck and hit 'em straight. Hey do you think they would let us start our own golf sub-forum it sounds like its preatty popular around here.

Great idea! I can picture it now...

~~~~~~~

October 15, 2009 Golf report.

Arrived at the gold course bright and early at 4am to check the conditions. The sun was struggling to come out, so it looked like it was going to be a good day.

I signed in, grabbed my bags, and headed across the grass for the 1st hole.

Hole 1:
Hit the ball as far as I could. Chased after it. Hit it again. Chased after it. Hit it again. Chased after it. Sunk it.

Hole 2:
Hit the ball as far as I could. Chased after it. Hit it again. Chased after it. Hit it again. Chased after it. Sunk it.

Hole 3:

Hole 4:

Hole 5:

Hole 6:

Hole 7:

Hole 8:

Hole 9:

Hole 10:

Hole 11:

Hole 12:

Hole 13:

Hole 14:

Hole 15:

Hole 16:

Hole 17:

Hole 18: This one was crazy!
Hit the ball as far as I could. Chased after it. Hit it again. Chased after it. Hit it again. Chased after it. Hit it AGAIN (I know, right?!?). Chased after it. Sunk it.

~~~~~

On second thought, PLEASE, no golf sub-forum. This is a scuba forum. There are lots of golf forums where you can cut and paste your own report just like mine.

Bigake
10-15-2009, 20:55
Navy: I've heard that joke and it is pretty good...