PDA

View Full Version : How do I service my UW housing?

clavicl3
10-05-2009, 04:29
I have a Olympus 4MP digital camera that I bought several years ago and an underwater housing to go with it. I haven't used it in a while and would like to know if I can service the thing myself. I noticed that my mode dial button on the kit may be leaking just a little bit. Last time I dove with it I found that the suction cup that holds onto the actual mode dial on the camera was loosened I'm guessing due to moisture. It's a very small o-ring, so how easy would this be to fix/replace? I think I will also need to replace the main seal o-ring but that should be pretty easy.

If I can't do it myself, do local dive shops usually know how to service these types of things? Or would I have to go to a specialized store?

CompuDude
10-05-2009, 13:21
If you're mechanically inclined, it's generally not very difficult to service the o-rings. The ones on there already may or may not need changing... chances are you can simply disassemble, clean thoroughly, lube the o-rings, and put the original o-rings back in, as long as they're in good shape.

Be sure to take it down without a camera (put some loosely-crumpled tissue inside to make leaks easier to spot) for a test before entrusting it to your camera.

clavicl3
10-05-2009, 14:45
yeah. I was thinking of taking it with me this weekend for a potential dive but I guess not. It'll take me a while to test it and fix it if necessary.