PDA

View Full Version : If it was your money...

jaysonb
08-29-2007, 16:29
Which Fish ID book would you buy? I'm looking specificially for a Caribbean Fish ID book, but I'm also interested to see what everybody says about other ID books.

If this has been discussed already, I'm sorry. I did a search and I didn't find anything.

Xspect
08-29-2007, 21:49
Get the mermaids swim suit edition !!!

Dee
08-29-2007, 22:25
Paul Humann and Ned DeLoach have put out a 3 volume series of Reef Fish, Reef Coral and Reef Creatures that covers everythying in the Caribbean. They also have a Fish Behavior book that is great. I like them best because the books are more than just a catalog of fish/creature/coral species. They also teach you to identify them all and where you're likely to see them.

http://www.amazon.com/Reef-Fish-Identification-Florida-Caribbean/dp/1878348078

mike_s
08-29-2007, 22:35
I've got the Reef FIsh ID book and although it's expensive, it's worth it.

Get it off Amazaon or something instead of paying full price at your LDS or local bookstore.

thesmoothdome
08-29-2007, 22:52
definately the Humann books. They're wonderfully informative.

Zenagirl
08-30-2007, 08:07
Ditto!! The Humann Deloach books are fabulous. We even managed to snag the CD of their Reef Creature book and it has some great features that helped us find all sorts of macro on our trip to the Bahamas. I'll use it to "tune up" my eyes for our trip to Bonaire next summer, and it'll come with us in our laptop for creature ID during the trip.

For Hawaii books Hoover is the best author.