PDA

View Full Version : cozumel

DS78
08-29-2007, 17:04
Going to Cozumel in Oct. any suggestions for a dive operation.
Thanks

ertechsg
08-29-2007, 17:09
Dive paradise awsome.

georoc01
08-31-2007, 09:38
Aldora was great when I do with them. I have heard great things about http://www.bluextseadiving.com and Dive with Allison.

When I have stayed down south, Dive Palancar provided a nice plus in that they ran single tank dives all day out of resort as you are right off shore from the reefs. So you can do your own SIs accordingly.

Travelnsj
08-31-2007, 09:56
I'm not much of a Carribean diver...but I do enjoy Cozumel...in January when the water is a touch cooler the Eagle Rays come in...some VG diving.

mwhities
08-31-2007, 09:58
http://www.bluextseadiving.com

I second BlueXTSea.

Michael

Travelnsj
08-31-2007, 14:36
One of my favorite dives was at Paradise...I know Paradise?!....we had 5 of the big Eagle Rays came in...saw Seahorses etc...in my top 10 dives.

rkmccamp
08-31-2007, 14:39
just not The Yellow Rose.

scubasamurai
08-31-2007, 14:40
paradise was good, but i went through the cruise lines and the operator was just the DM. at least he had a boat haha.

let us know how the reefs are, they were just coming back when dean hit there sort of. thanks

ScubaGir1
08-31-2007, 15:04
I went through ScubaDu at the Presidente Hotel. http://www.scubadu.com/
Wish I could actually STAY at the Presidente Hotel, it looked very nice!

ParrotheadDiver
08-31-2007, 15:48
BlueXtsea is awesome...I use Christi's op everytime I go...plus she is a TEXAN:smiley20:

mchesler
10-12-2007, 13:12
Dive Palancar at the Occidental hotels were great. We dove with Sergio Andi for a whole week and he was an excellent dive master. I've also heard good things about Aqua Safari, but I've never done any diving with them.

Foo2
10-12-2007, 13:23
http://www.bluextseadiving.com (http://www.bluextseadiving.com/)

I second BlueXTSea.

Michael

BlueXtsea is awesome...I use Christi's op everytime I go...plus she is a TEXAN:smiley20:

I'm gonna give BlueXTSea a fourth vote!

wheelman
10-12-2007, 14:26
I have dove with both Dive Palancar and Alison Dennis, (Scuba with Alison). I would recommend Alison... Excellent service and safety. You won't be disappointed. www.scubawithalison.com (http://www.scubawithalison.com)

caroln
10-12-2007, 15:28
One of my favorite dives was at Paradise...I know Paradise?!....we had 5 of the big Eagle Rays came in...saw Seahorses etc...in my top 10 dives.

The night dives there are awesome. Definitely in my top ten.

caroln
10-12-2007, 15:29
Forgot to recommend a dive op. I was very happy with Blue Angel. We dove with Pumba, Jose, and Jorge, and all were excellent. Love the fast boats too. We were passing the big slow boats every morning going to the sites.

Defman
10-12-2007, 15:30
Thanks

a. There's a Reader's Ratings in this month's Scuba Diving mag.
b. You're going to get TONS of different opinions.
c. Read some of the other threads on the topic.

abcitydiver
10-12-2007, 18:57
I third...blue angle, fast boats ON TIME departures, Jeorge is the best DM!

jwagner
10-12-2007, 21:32
I have used them lost. They were really flexible. I didn't have to commit on the amount dives when we started the trip, and I didn't have to pay a peso until I was done diving at the end of the trip. Since I can't speak spanish, it was nice to talk to people that speak english.

drewcandoo
10-16-2007, 15:16
Anybody have any suggestions or experiences diving from the Coral Princess Resort?

Big Mike
11-15-2007, 11:51
Recommend Grand Cozumel Hotel and Dive Palancar very highly:smiley20:
Dive Palancar
Welcome to Dive Palancar, Watersports Operator for The Occidental Hotels & Resorts Cozumel. (http://www.divepalancarcozumel.com/home_dp.php)
Grand Cozumel Hotel
Occidental Hotel and Resorts (http://www.occidentalhotels.com/grand/GrandCozumel.asp)

I wish I was going.......

Thanks

moosicman
11-15-2007, 11:58
Thanks for that site....i'm gonna go with them sometime....going in dec and with blue angel but i'm gonna go back i'm sure so:)

berick
11-15-2007, 21:13
Thanks

How long are you planning to be there and how much diving are you planning to do?

I've stayed in town and down south (Occidental Grand). Both have their pros and cons. In town, there is a lot of top side activity; but, the boat rides are longer. Down south, the boat rides are shorter; unfortunately, if you want to do dinner somewhere other than your AI, taxi fees add up.

If I were to make my fourth week long trip to Coz, I'd either stay in town or choose more of a dive resort than the Grand. Don't get me wrong, I thought the food was good at the Grand and the resort was nice. The Grand is a resort that offers diving as opposed to a dive resort. Also, I had no problem with the staff at Dive Palancar and would dive with them again. My wife and I do 3-4 dive trips a year. For reference, we've been to Cocoview (Roatan), Divi Flamingo(Bonaire), Little Cayman Beach resort multiple times. We typically do 20+ dives a week on vacation so topside activities aren't our main objective.

Things I didn't like:

The facililities for storing your dive equipment are much more convenient at other places we've dove than the Grand. Dive Palancar has small lockers where you store your gear (bcds, fins) in a plastic crate ( and either use you own lock of put a deposit on a lock which is returned) The bins are the size of the crate. We always took regs back to room. Still, by no means a deal breaker for me.

The walk is longer from the rooms to the dive operation than other places we frequent. No big deal.

Dive Palancar is the House dive shop for both the Allegro and the Grand. As such, they pretty much take any guest who has a C-card. Unfortunately, that means some people who haven't dove in years and want to do one dive may show up on your boat in need of a refresher course, improperly weighted, etc. for a drift dive and the poor DMs get to deal with that.

When I was there over Labor Day, I saw things from some of the guests that made me cringe. On one afternoon dive, a heavy-set older couple showed up on an afternoon dive for their first (maybe only) dive of the week. The woman had her son's gear who she said was a DM in the states. Both had issues getting down on the dive (Husband appeared severely underweighted while the wife seemed very "un-relaxed"). The husband blew through enough of his air that he could no longer stay under after about 15 minutes. Still, he made 4 or 5 unsuccessful attempts to get back down after he broke the surface while the DM kept signalling him to stay on the surface. The DM was holding the wife's hand the entire dive. For awhile, she was so unrelaxed she couldn't stay at depth, and it looked like the dive master had a big balloon attached to his hand as her feet were directly above her hand. It was painful to watch and my wife and I and another diver just hung back. However, she eventually calmed. I realized why I never wanted to be a DM that dive. Actually, the dive was nice except for the drama and we saw several turtles, a 7' free swimming nurse shark, rays, etc.

Also, on my last day of diving, we did our 2nd Punta Sur dive (Devils Throat). There was a couple who hadn't dove with us earlier that week -- but I'm sure they had dove since Dive Palancar doesn't usually let people dive Punta Sur without first observing their skills. We had 2 groups of 5 with different dive masters. My wife and I (along with others we had dove with that week) were in the first group. We were having a nice dive but our DM was showing one of our group a huge crab. I thought they were probably spending a little too much time with the crab at that depth, but, was content floating behind them until they were done. Then, behind me, the wife barrelled into a member of our group, then turned and kicked him in the head 3 times with her fins (never looking back) as she went over the top of me while her husband went under me. Fortunately, the guy was able to keep his mask on his face at 115' and just looked at my wife who was behing me and gave her a "what the ####" expression.

Anyway, I felt the DMs were doing their best, but, they have to deal with the hand that's dealt them. So, consequently, I would probably try to book a non-house dive operator if I were to go back. Also, afternoon dives tended to get the most "first and maybe only dive" patrons during my week there.

Also, our dives seemed exclusively on the South Reefs. You really don't get some of the nice reefs further North (at least on my trip). I don't recall diving anything north of Santa Rosa Wall (Allegro).

Things I liked:

Food and Accomodations(non-diving) were much better than most of the dive resorts we usually stay at. Boat rides were short to the South Reefs. We had an excellent twilight/night dive (2 dives). DMs friendly/helpful.

The only other operator I've used on Cozumel was Aqua-Safari when I stayed at Casa Mexicana (twice). I would dive with them again, also.

Hope this helps.

tulsadivingdiva
11-17-2007, 18:39
We're going to Cozumel over Thanksgiving. Staying at the Caribe Blu and diving with Blue Angels. Anyone have experience with this hotel?

Soonerwink
11-17-2007, 19:21
We're going to Cozumel over Thanksgiving. Staying at the Caribe Blu and diving with Blue Angels. Anyone have experience with this hotel?

Hey, is this Denise, sorry if I'm wrong. Welcome to ST's forum. This is my favorite place to hang out when I'm not diving. Try to bring us back some pictures or videos when you return so that the gang can relive your dives with you at our next meeting.
Todd

abcitydiver
11-18-2007, 01:23
We love Caribe Blue...great little diving hotel. Room are clean, simple, well air conditioned. Lots of bottled water around, wifi in the lobby, all rooms face the ocean. they have a sweet little pool, mere steps to the dive boat. Good fast boats, good captains, great DM's. Try and get a room on a lower floor, so you arent carrying your gear upstairs. 2 for 1 margaritas in the afternoon. I'll be back there in Feb!

SHAGGY
11-18-2007, 05:07
I just got back from Cozumel, and we booked our dives with Dive Paradise and had a great time, BUT,.... I would suggest getting a fast boat. We booked an evening dive on one of the big boats and it wasnt a great trip. The dive master was very inattentive with the large group. Now on the other hand the small boat crew was great on both days. They took us to some great spots and knew just which rocks to have us look under to get some great pics of lobsters and a hudge morray. I can also testify that if a problem arrises that dive paradise will go above and beyond to fix the problem. We had a lil problem and they more than made up for it. We will use them again but only on the fast boats.

DRhodes
11-18-2007, 09:22
We are going in May to Casa Del Mar, I think the DM that our group is going to use is Chucho Divers. Anybody hear anything on these guys?

I looked at the hotel's website and the place looks nice.

skippy11
11-18-2007, 10:01
We went down in August and stay at HOtel Cozumel...dove w/ Dive Paradise. We had a great time. Elazar was the name of the Dm we had w/ us. He was awesome b/c he made every attempt to point out different aquatic life.

We have also stayed at Allegro. It was nice to, but while top side, it got a little pricy going into town.

Dochueb
11-18-2007, 20:39
We're going to Cozumel over New Years. Staying at the Wyndham Cozumel (formerly Reef Club Cozumel). Sand Dollar Sports is the resort's dive shop, but I don't know anything about them. My gf is doing her referral dives there for her OW certification.

Any thought on that dive operation or any others for her first real dives?

DocHueb

Dochueb
11-18-2007, 21:09
I've also heard good things about "Dive with Martin".

Anyone know anything about this operation?

DH

TX1Chica
11-19-2007, 09:50
We are going in May to Casa Del Mar, I think the DM that our group is going to use is Chucho Divers. Anybody hear anything on these guys?

I looked at the hotel's website and the place looks nice.

D. We have stayed at Casa Del Mar a couple times. I really like it. The rooms are very clean and the staff are very friendly. Try to get a room with a balcony so you can hang your stuff to dry out side. They do have a good breakfast. Most of the time it is buffet. But if the Hotel dosen't have a lot of people you can just order off of the menu. They have a free beach club that is very nice. It dosen't have all the cruise people, so its more relaxing and very pretty.
I'll atempt to attach some pics of the beach club, the view from our room, and what the front of CDM looks like. I have a lot of pics of CDM if you would like to see more.

susiq
11-20-2007, 11:24
I've been to Coz 4 times in the last 5 years and the last 3 I used the above op and hotel..... I enjoyed them immensely...... I have to second all the things that were already mentioned re: DMs, (Jorge, and Matt among them), convenience and the care they take with us.... Victor who runs the shop is great. Jeannie who runs the whole thing is smart, fair, and clear on everything.Also, the upstairs cafe is convenient, breezy, well-priced and the food is good.... nothing fancy but when you're hungry! :smiley32: Right, the 2 for 1 margaritas can't be beat either!

They finished my OW cert. so I'm partial. Not too far from town or dinner or shopping, although you don't want to walk back at night.....

I'm seriously envious and want to go back in the spring!

SusiQ

TRACI
11-20-2007, 11:50
Will be staying as Casa Mexicana in January, I have no opinion yet about Casa Mexicana, will be first time.

Have stayed at Coral Princess several times, great view if you upgrade to ocean view room. Casa Del Mar is good, breakfast buffet is included, so saves $$.

Have only dived with Papa Hogs, which I like. Tried to use Dive Paradise but cancelled all days of diving with Paradise, they have too many rules and policies that I did not agree with.

dbsea
11-20-2007, 11:54
I'll second the Dive Paradise group. The DM was by my daughter's side when she was a bit apprehensive.

CaribbeanDiver
11-20-2007, 12:11
OK DS78, you went to Cozumel in October yet I do not see any trip report. since you are taking so long, I figure it is going to be a very good one, detailed and full of pictures, right?

DRhodes
11-20-2007, 22:39
D. We have stayed at Casa Del Mar a couple times. I really like it. The rooms are very clean and the staff are very friendly. Try to get a room with a balcony so you can hang your stuff to dry out side. They do have a good breakfast. Most of the time it is buffet. But if the Hotel dosen't have a lot of people you can just order off of the menu. They have a free beach club that is very nice. It dosen't have all the cruise people, so its more relaxing and very pretty.
I'll atempt to attach some pics of the beach club, the view from our room, and what the front of CDM looks like. I have a lot of pics of CDM if you would like to see more.

Sure, I'd love to see some more pics.