PDA

View Full Version : Dorcy/Intova Comparison Photos

IndyDiver
10-09-2009, 20:35
This is a side-by-side comparison of the Dorcy 6-AAA light with the new Intova Compact 3-AAA light. The Intova is on the left and the Dorcy is on the right. The both seem to throw about the same overall amount of light, but the Intova has a much brighter and well defined hot spot. The distance from the wall is 20 feet and the Intova hot spot is about 20 inches in diameter, the Dorsy hot spot is about 24 inches

Below are the lights for size comparison. The Dorsy is 6.25 inches long and 1.25 in diameter. The Intova is 5.5 inches long and 1.0 inch in diameter for most of its length.

IndyDiver
10-09-2009, 20:37
Links didn't work. Let's go with attachments

CompuDude
10-09-2009, 20:47
Actually, while it's a little hard to be sure without some sort of measurement, that photo looks to me like the Intova is putting out a little bit more light, overall, than the Dorcy.

IndyDiver
10-09-2009, 21:04
Actually, while it's a little hard to be sure without some sort of measurement, that photo looks to me like the Intova is putting out a little bit more light, overall, than the Dorcy.

It definitely is in the center 3-4 feet. What you can't see in the photo is that the halo from the spill light is about 50% bigger for the Dorcy.

While this technically has to be counted as light output, most of it is so difuse that it would be pretty much worthless for underwater applications. So I would agree, for the purpose of diving, the Intova puts out more light.

CWSWine
10-09-2009, 21:50
Thanks Indy for the comparison. Are the batteries in plastic holder like the Dorcy? I think anytime they put batteries in plastic holder inside metal case the potential for flicker due to unequal expansion will be a problem. What are the disadvantages of the C123 other than they are not found in the local 7-11?

WaScubaDude
10-09-2009, 21:51
Thanks for the info Indy.

How much is the Intova and where can I get one?

IndyDiver
10-09-2009, 22:16
Thanks for the info Indy.

How much is the Intova and where can I get one?

They are out of stock in most stores on the internet. I got mine on Ebay for $39. The guy was still selling them as of yesterday, same price. Search on ebay for "Intova Compact"

IndyDiver
10-09-2009, 22:23
Thanks Indy for the comparison. Are the batteries in plastic holder like the Dorcy? I think anytime they put batteries in plastic holder inside metal case the potential for flicker due to unequal expansion will be a problem. What are the disadvantages of the C123 other than they are not found in the local 7-11?

They have a plastic holder very similar to the one in the Dorcy.

C123 batteries are expensive in most local retail stores. But, I find them on sale on the internet for $1 each for other lights I have, so if you buy them ahead of time in bulk, price is really not an issue.

The C123 battery does have a poor power to size ratio when compared to AAA batteries. Two C123 batteries are usually found in about the same size case as six AAA batteries, but the 6 AAA batteries will last a lot longer in use.

CompuDude
10-09-2009, 23:56

They have a plastic holder very similar to the one in the Dorcy.

C123 batteries are expensive in most local retail stores. But, I find them on sale on the internet for $1 each for other lights I have, so if you buy them ahead of time in bulk, price is really not an issue.

The C123 battery does have a poor power to size ratio when compared to AAA batteries. Two C123 batteries are usually found in about the same size case as six AAA batteries, but the 6 AAA batteries will last a lot longer in use.

All true.

I prefer rechargeables, however, so the ready availability of Eneloop AAA low self-discharge NiMH batteries is a big part of the attraction for me... plus easy replacement from any 7-11 in the country if I need more unexpectedly... not to mention if I need replacements unexpectedly during a trip, in a remote location.

I also prefer rechargeables for environmental reasons... not only are alkalines single-use, but disposing of them in a responsible manner is a PITA as well.

And then there is the related issue of having to chuck perfectly good half-used batteries, just because I used the light a few times for 5-10 minutes here and there... but now if I want to be sure I have fully charged batteries for a more important dive, I need to toss the [perhaps] 25% used batteries? Or worse, start tracking the # of minutes burned on each set, and keep bunches of sets around, labeled, and use the appropriate set for each dive? Screw that, I'd rather have good quality NiMH batteries (low self-discharge) that I can depend on if I haven't used them, or top off easily and re-use, knowing they're at 100%, if I needed to use the light for 10 minutes (or pass it to a buddy).

As for buying the Intova Compact, best place IMO is B&H, followed by Adorama (perhaps). They're the most legit place to buy them, for the best price, and there are none of the funky issues that can arise with eBay transactions.

Vercingetorix
10-10-2009, 07:10
On a side note, I wonder why your links failed. I just tested them by posting to the thread, and they worked perfectly. Those are some big-arse images, though.

USF_Diver
10-10-2009, 07:58
Thanks for the pics, just waiting like alot for the email from B&H when they get the intova in stock so I can place my order.

I had the Dorcy and it was a bright light for its size, the intova looks very underrated at 130 lumens.