PDA

View Full Version : 1 Strobe vs 2 Strobes

Bill
10-10-2009, 21:34
What is to be gained by going from 1 Strobe to 2 Strobes ? I am using a digital point and shoot system.

Bill

thesmoothdome
10-10-2009, 23:37
More even lighting is probably the biggest reason, closely followed by less backscatter. By being able to move the center of the flashes away from the center of frame, you can use the softer light of the edges of the flash to cover your frame rather than the hotter center.

I shoot with a DSLR and don't know how P&Ss do their magic, but most strobes don't cover more than 105 degrees, rendering it impossible to cover wide angle lenses which can get as wide as 180 degrees. I'd assume that when shooting at it's widest settings, a P&S would run into the same issue.

CompuDude
10-10-2009, 23:39
MUCH better coverage.

EDIT: What he said. :D

jugglematt
10-11-2009, 04:30
i went from 1 strobe to 2 strobes using a P&S system .

what they said , if you are OK with the slight extra weight and size , its all good ,

more lighting options , better controll of backscatter, .

better for shooting wide , better for pulling back and lighting bigger subjects , eg gorgonias , sharks ect ,

a backup strobe when one fails ,

and the main thing , it makes you look like your a real professional underwater photographer :-)

Matty

Tassie Diver
10-11-2009, 20:43
More even lighting is probably the biggest reason, closely followed by less backscatter. By being able to move the center of the flashes away from the center of frame, you can use the softer light of the edges of the flash to cover your frame rather than the hotter center.

I shoot with a DSLR and don't know how P&Ss do their magic, but most strobes don't cover more than 105 degrees, rendering it impossible to cover wide angle lenses which can get as wide as 180 degrees. I'd assume that when shooting at it's widest settings, a P&S would run into the same issue.
+1

Oh, and more things to distract you while underwater ;)