but in a AA battery version...

Curious Diver

BSea
08-29-2007, 22:09
Is bigger always better ?

Do they make a dive light that is as POWERFUL as HD Cannons
but in a AA battery version...

Curious Diver
Do you mean the HID Light Cannon? If so, you might look at the Salvo hand held HID (http://salvodiving.com/handheld_lights). It doesn't use AA batteries, and I doubt you'll find any high end light that does.

There is also a new light from Oxycheq (http://www.oxycheq.com/Oxycheq/torchbackup/4A4057D0-8039-4194-83E5-A2E901922084.html)that ST is supposed to be carrying soon. It's a small LED back-up light that claims to be as bright as a 10 watt HID. I'm a little skeptical as to it being comparable to a 10 watt HID. I guess I'm going to have to see it in action. But it usesthe cr-123 Lithium batteries. They are expensive, but will last a long time with this light, and have a long shelf life.

I really like the size of the oxycheq light for a back-up light. I may spring for that light when I see what ST sells it for.

LED lights are doing what computers did in the 80's & 90's. If you want something better, smaller & cheaper, then wait a year. At least that's what I've been hearing.

Zenagirl
08-30-2007, 07:52
Nocturnal Lights SLX LED light uses AA batteries and is very bright. As bright as a HID? No, but still a bright blue/white light that does an excellent job.

Better for me because the batteries last longer and the bulbs last forever (nearly) and are tough and not prone to breaking. Plus the bulbs are cheap to replace if you do break one.

MelC
08-30-2007, 09:18
Dive Rite makes a 10w HID handheld light that uses AA now as well as an ultrabright LED model this year. Obviously more battery life out of the LED with a sacrifice of lumens.

Edited to add: Greenforce makes a light called the flexi funstar that also takes AA batteries and can mount different heads. Again, you'll get different runtimes depending on the lighthead you choose.

Mel

BSea
08-30-2007, 09:40
Dive Rite makes a 10w HID handheld light that uses AA now as well as an ultrabright LED model this year. Obviously more battery life out of the LED with a sacrifice of lumens.

Edited to add: Greenforce makes a light called the flexi funstar that also takes AA batteries and can mount different heads. Again, you'll get different runtimes depending on the lighthead you choose.

Mel

OOOPS. I was wrong on there not being high end lights that use AA.

rubberduck
08-30-2007, 10:48
I use a light that uses (8) AA batteries for lobster hunting and it works great. Small enough to look in all the holes,

ScaredSilly
08-30-2007, 13:07
I was also thinking about the Green Force Flexi as well. Many of the Princeton Tec lights use AA batteries.