PDA

View Full Version : Used Tanks

rsmith5894
10-13-2009, 21:50
Hola!

Can I get some advice on purchasing used tanks? My local Craigslist occasionally has tanks available and I don't want to purchase one of those pre-88 bombs that I've been reading about on here. :smiley5:

What do I look for in a used tank?

Thanks to all!

FoxHound
10-13-2009, 21:56
Biggest thing would be current hydro, current vis.

navyhmc
10-13-2009, 21:58
If you're looking at it in person, look at the original hydro date. Any manufacturers hydro earlier than 7-88 will be a 6351 tank. In all honesty, that's the best way to check. It's a federal violation to tamper with hydro dates.

Other ways are less precise and need some experience to do at a glance, but tank color, decals, valves are other things to look at to help, but again, it's less precise. I know that if a tank is a US Divers tank w/US Divers on a chevron, it's no recent than 1986. A Dacor tank with a low profile valve in pre-'85. Same with light blue Dacor.

Fox hound's mention of recent hydor and vis are important as well. More so the hydro. If the tank is out of hydro, I might make the sale pending on passing a hydro.

FishFood
10-13-2009, 22:02
Learn how to read the markings on tanks; Here are some good links to read:

Tank Markings identified, what do they are all mean? (http://www.underwaterdivingequipment.com/tank-markings.html)
ScubaGoneWild::Scuba Class::Scuba Tank Markings (http://www.scubagonewild.com/documents/scubatankmarkings.html)

Tekdivr
10-13-2009, 22:46

Tank Markings identified, what do they are all mean? (http://www.underwaterdivingequipment.com/tank-markings.html)
ScubaGoneWild::Scuba Class::Scuba Tank Markings (http://www.scubagonewild.com/documents/scubatankmarkings.html)

Definitely good info for people looking to buy used tanks. Steer clear of the pre-7/88 models. If a tank is due for hydro, make sure it's still a good deal. Some used tanks are listed too high, and by the time you add a hydro and vis to it you could of bought a new one.

rsmith5894
10-14-2009, 12:29
Great information, thank you gentlemen! I'm looking at 2 tanks in the next couple of days and I am armed with info now!

rsmith5894
10-14-2009, 19:56
Here are the tanks I'm looking at, so far this is the only image I have. I requested a close-up off stamps and stickers to help identify. However, can anyone identify them?

Thanks!

Scuba Pete
10-14-2009, 19:59
Here are the tanks I'm looking at, so far this is the only image I have. I requested a close-up off stamps and stickers to help identify. However, can anyone identify them?

Thanks!

They look like an older steel. Notice the "j" valve, that indicates its pretty old. If they are aluminum they will most likely be the old alloy. If they are steel. Buy them, change the valves and have fun with them. On second glance they look more like aluminum.

rsmith5894
10-14-2009, 20:02
The owner just sent an email saying they don't have any stickers on them but she took a magnet to them and they are steel. $100 for both, good deal?

Scuba Pete
10-14-2009, 20:09
Any Idea on date or size? They almost look like 95's or 98's.

Scuba Pete
10-14-2009, 20:17
I would think $100 for both isnt a bad deal. You will have to get them Hydro and vis. around 30-40 a tank. You can use the old valves but new valves are better around 50-70 per valve. So there is some additional cost I would say a realistic estimate would be around 160 per tank after everything including valves. Not bad when a new tank is around 250-400 depending on size.

FishFood
10-14-2009, 20:20
The owner just sent an email saying they don't have any stickers on them but she took a magnet to them and they are steel. $100 for both, good deal?

The VIP sticker shows at the bottom of one of em :dunno:

rsmith5894
10-14-2009, 20:35
Wow...ok, she found a number stamped into the tank. 8F76, I'm guessing that means 1976? Thoughts?

Scuba Pete
10-14-2009, 22:00
Thats fine as long as its a steel. I have a steel that was born in 1971, 13 years before i was. LOL The steel tanks will last a very long time.

rsmith5894
10-14-2009, 22:12
Thank you for your insight Scuba Pete. One final question and then I'll make arrangements to look at them/purchase. If during the visual they find rust on the inside....are they able to be repaired? The lady is selling her husband's stuff and she has very little knowledge of their condition.

Thanks again!

navyhmc
10-15-2009, 02:07
Actually, they look a lot like 63's. Step one. Get a Vis. If the rust doesn't look too bad, they can be tumbled-an easy process to get rid of rust. Depending on the amount of rust and hither there is pitting. step two, get a hydro. and if they pass, go diving.

Some will say to get the hydro first and that's a good plan as well.

But, yes, rust can be taken care of to a good degree.

WD8CDH
10-15-2009, 07:51

Thanks!
From the contour of the boot and the shape of the neck, they look like steel. Age is not important with steel, only condition. The valves look like Dacor and Sherwood. Both good valves and you can probably still get parts easily. Some technicians can defeat the J reserve if you want.

$100 sounds like a good price. Can you get the length without valve and the circumference (or diameter) to help identify them?

21 11/16" circumference would be 6.9" diameter.

22 3/4" circumference would be 7.25" diameter.

25 1/8" circumference would be 8" diameter.

rsmith5894
10-15-2009, 19:31
Ok, here's an update:

I worked out a deal with the seller. $85 for both tanks and I take them to my LDS and have the required inspections. If they pass I keep them, if not I return them for a refund. I have this deal in writing. I picked up the tanks tonight so I have some details:

Last inspection was Jan of...1977! Wow!
Last Hydro was 1976, made in '71
One has air one does not
They are steel (according to my magnet)
Outside appearance looks good, no visible rust and the valves (Dacor Corp) look good.
Dimensions- Height 26 1/2 by 25 1/8 diameter?? I don't have a flexible tape but this is very close. Any thoughts on who made them?

LDS said bring them in and they'll take a look at the guts.

Hopefully this deal works out!

Rich

nrembis
10-15-2009, 19:46
I was thinking earlier than 71'....LOL either way older than I am :)

that old they are not going to be over 2250psi might even be 1800's

WD8CDH
10-16-2009, 08:34
That sounds like a LP108. On the neck should be stamping of 3AAXXXX with the XXXX being the service pressure. If my guess is correct, that tank has a service pressure of 2400 psi and if it is stamped with a + after the latest hydro, it can be filled to 2640 psi where it will hold about 108 CF.

WD8CDH
10-16-2009, 08:42

Definitely good info for people looking to buy used tanks. Steer clear of the pre-7/88 models. If a tank is due for hydro, make sure it's still a good deal. Some used tanks are listed too high, and by the time you add a hydro and vis to it you could of bought a new one.

As far as the pre-7/88 models, that is only for aluminum tanks. Prior to that date many aluminum tank were made from an alloy that many dive shops won't fill.

Since the tanks you found are steel, that date doesn't matter, only the tanks condition.

rsmith5894
10-16-2009, 09:28
Ok, they read 3AA2400 without a + on the Hydro.

WD8CDH
10-20-2009, 08:35
There is probably a + after at least the first hydro. Even if not, it is possable to get the + on any 3AA tank if the hydro center has the proper info and the tank passes the requirements.

Tekdivr
10-20-2009, 12:08
I would definitely recommend switching out the valves too, but honestly for the price, they seem like a good deal. Even with tumbling, hydro, vip and a valve you should have less than $300 invested in the set. That's about would you would give for one new one.

jupitertreasures
10-22-2009, 11:57
From the shape, they look like older steel tanks....
Ok, from the shape....and the old valves......LOL

Old steels are nice.

jupitertreasures
10-22-2009, 12:00
After reading further, I advise against buying them and request you forward the sellers contact information to me immediately.

Dude, you need your head examined if you don't scarf those thanks up.

Lone Frogman
10-22-2009, 13:43

Thanks!

If you intend to up grade the valves, I would trade you a late model K valve for one of those J's.