PDA

View Full Version : DDCN at Mermet?

navyhmc
10-15-2009, 04:43
Wondering if anyone would be interested in maybe a spring DDCN to Mermet?

snagel
10-15-2009, 06:03
I love Mermet, unfortionately haven't been able to make it down lately. The diving is great, the people are great, the owners and staff are absolutely out of this world. The only thing that would make it better is hanging out with the DDCN crew.

Definately, put something together and I will make it down one way or another.

Snagel

CWSWine
10-15-2009, 07:20
I'm in....

maverick
10-15-2009, 07:53
Been there dove that, great facilities and staff if I had a choice Oranogo would B mine. I paid $20 entry fee.

IndyDiver
10-15-2009, 08:36
It would be great if you did that. I'd like to meet some of you guys in person, but Oranogo is quite a hike from Indy. Count me in if you do Mermet.

bottomdweller
10-15-2009, 12:21
I would be up for it. I am sure I could get two or three buddies to make the trek with me.

wheelman
10-15-2009, 12:53
Haven't been before, always up for trying a new site.

gNats
10-15-2009, 13:24
Was there this summer with CRNA.

Compared to Oronogo, the quarry is very small and much shallower. Vis is a wash. It was a bad day for Mermet but still close to Oronogo's better days.

Plus:

Lots of lines to guide you in the murky vis from one object to another.
The staff was incredible, really hospitable.
Food and beverage on site and made to order.
OMG - the plane. Worth the trip.
Lots of fish of all sizes to watch as you hang.
Plenty of areas to enter and exit. We parked at the end near the beach and had an easy walk into the shallows.
Restrooms and changing areas.
Reasonably priced air fills.Everyone has his or her hot button and what they like or don't like. I will not list the things I did not like compared to other dive sites. Those are my opinions after all.

However, because of size, if this is something DDCN is seriously considering, I would try to make arrangements with the owners for a reserved area. Parking was at a premium and the Saturday we showed up was a full house. Everyone at the quarry seemed to handle the close quarters well, but if arrangements are not made in advance I could see everyone being split up big time.

This is also a highly favored dive location for dive schools and instruction. Avoid the bus at all costs. Some noob crashed into CRNA. I kept asking him if he caught the license of the noob that ran him over.

:smilie39:

Overall, the experience was very enjoyable and worth trying as a new dive site.
gNats

snagel
10-15-2009, 16:20
Getting a covered pavillion isn't hard - just call PJ or Glenn and tell them you have xx number people and want to reserve a pavillion. They will put your name on it and it's yours.

The only issues are if you none or available.

Snagel

Flatliner
10-15-2009, 16:47
I would consider it. Depends on the work schedule.

DivingCRNA
10-15-2009, 19:08
Was there this summer with CRNA.

Compared to Oronogo, the quarry is very small and much shallower. Vis is a wash. It was a bad day for Mermet but still close to Oronogo's better days.

Plus:
Lots of lines to guide you in the murky vis from one object to another.
The staff was incredible, really hospitable.
Food and beverage on site and made to order.
OMG - the plane. Worth the trip.
Lots of fish of all sizes to watch as you hang.
Plenty of areas to enter and exit. We parked at the end near the beach and had an easy walk into the shallows.
Restrooms and changing areas.
Reasonably priced air fills.Everyone has his or her hot button and what they like or don't like. I will not list the things I did not like compared to other dive sites. Those are my opinions after all.

However, because of size, if this is something DDCN is seriously considering, I would try to make arrangements with the owners for a reserved area. Parking was at a premium and the Saturday we showed up was a full house. Everyone at the quarry seemed to handle the close quarters well, but if arrangements are not made in advance I could see everyone being split up big time.

This is also a highly favored dive location for dive schools and instruction. Avoid the bus at all costs. Some noob crashed into CRNA. I kept asking him if he caught the license of the noob that ran him over.

:smilie39:

Overall, the experience was very enjoyable and worth trying as a new dive site.
gNats

Squirrel pretty much sums it up. It would be a bonus if they turned off the cheesy underwater 80s music.....

Who was whining about Oronogo being too far? This summer I have been to Gilboa, Haigh (x3), Mermet and lake Huron. I live 3 miles from Oronogo. Sack up, fella.

Vlane
10-15-2009, 19:13
I'm interested, just depends on when the trip is.

SEMO Scuba
10-15-2009, 21:03
Only a 50 mile drive for me. Mermet is my LDS.

snagel
10-16-2009, 05:24
Only a 50 mile drive for me. Mermet is my LDS.

Semo, stop rubbing it in.

Snagel

SEMO Scuba
10-16-2009, 10:13
I guess I could rub it in on how close I am to Bonne Terre too but I haven't been there yet!:smiley15:

Vlane
10-16-2009, 13:14
I guess I could rub it in on how close I am to Bonne Terre too but I haven't been there yet!:smiley15:
Another place I'd like to go to one of these days too. Some of you guys have no idea how nice you have it!

medicdiver
10-16-2009, 16:35
I'll go if my schedule allows it.

Vlane
10-16-2009, 22:35
Navy you thinking of doing this during winter, early spring, or you just thinking really far ahead?

snagel
10-17-2009, 08:13
I think he said something about this spring.

I believe Mermet is closed in January, but do open up for a New Years Dive. I probably should go back through some of my information, but I'm thinking early spring really is not good (viz) at Mermet. Really the good viz at Mermet comes in June through Aug. I may be a little off because I'm going on memory here.

I did a February dive last year thinking it might be crystal clear, but it really wasn't that great - but it was during a ice storm when we were diving.

Snagel

snagel
10-17-2009, 08:22
Another place I'd like to go to one of these days too. Some of you guys have no idea how nice you have it!

I've done Bonne Terre and will never do it again - just wasn't my cup of tea, but others in my group loved it. I guess it's one of those either you will love it or hate it.

I second the "you don't know how nice you have it". Most of my dive buddies are in the St. Louis area. They have several dive options - New Melle, Mermet, Haigh, and several smaller places in the Illinois. It seems the East side of the state has it for diving. The west side does not have much - pretty much have to drive south to Oronogo or Table Rock.

I hear several complain about New Melle (price, depth, not much to see, etc.). But, it is basically, 1/2 an hour west of St. Louis and can be done in a quick trip for most and even after work for most. The Kansas City area would kill for something like this. Only if I had the funds and opportunity, I would open some dive quarry up in the middle of the state or closer to the Kansas City area.

Snagel

Vlane
10-17-2009, 10:42
The cost of those places is the kicker, granted some do have more choices. I know I'm lucky that it only costs me $4 to dive at the bluffs and it usually has fairly good conditions. I need to start branching out soon though and head up to Oronogo.

navyhmc
10-18-2009, 14:52
Navy you thinking of doing this during winter, early spring, or you just thinking really far ahead?

I'm thinking maybe spring...DW asked me to help plan some DDCN dives as he's a bit busy with school and all so I figured seeing what intrest there was in Mermet was a good place to start.

Seems like we have some!:smiley20:

bottomdweller
10-18-2009, 18:21
The cost of those places is the kicker, granted some do have more choices. I know I'm lucky that it only costs me $4 to dive at the bluffs and it usually has fairly good conditions. I need to start branching out soon though and head up to Oronogo.

You should come dive Table Rock with us.
We will be diving all year long!!!

Vlane
10-18-2009, 21:53
You should come dive Table Rock with us.
We will be diving all year long!!!
I would love to try and dive there soon. It's a couple hours drive from here though so it would be a long day. I may try and make it up there next spring/summer though.

Tom A
10-18-2009, 23:09
let me know me an the wife will try an make an maybe daughter

maverick
10-19-2009, 00:15
What about Norfork, and Bull Scholls diving?

Shala
10-24-2009, 06:15
Count me in. Sounds like fun.

snagel
10-24-2009, 07:18
Navy, get with me when you plan on setting up the Mermet Trip. I know Greg and PJ and can work on getting things set up with them. Not sure if they will give any discounts on the diving (they are good people, but also business people). There are also a couple hotels that give rediculous diver discounts in the area.

Snagel

navyhmc
10-24-2009, 09:29
Will do, thanks Snagel!

LaCroix42
10-26-2009, 21:21
I'd be interested, with plenty of notice. I'll have my DS up to snuff, and we might be able to have Blaze in something other than a 3mm shorty, too! ;)

nefiii
12-26-2009, 21:37
Sounds Interesting!