PDA

View Full Version : Sanitary Pads in your housing?!?!

DevilDiver
10-15-2009, 09:31
Using Ladies Sanitary Pads in your housing

For viewing
only under the following circumstances:

Firstly you are an Underwater Photographer, with a desire to not get sea-water in or on your camera?

Then you must also fit one (or more) of the following criteria:

You are not married (or in a de-facto relationship for taxation purposes) and don't understand what/why/how women place absorbent things in their underpants once a month.

You are under the age of 18 and don't want to know what women put in their underpants once a month.

Your married and have never asked what/how your wife puts in her underpants once a month.

Promise to only view the photos below this line when your girlfriend (that you only met last week) is not around.

This is a packaged 'Slimline' Ladies Sanitary Napkin (Pad) They are cheap (compared to new cameras!) - Around $3 - $5 for a pack of 10.

http://www.uwleakdetector.com/images/mini_leak/Pad1.jpg

This is how to unwrap the package, lifting the sticky tape

http://www.uwleakdetector.com/images/mini_leak/Pad2.jpg

Then open the package to reveal the contents!

http://www.uwleakdetector.com/images/mini_leak/Pad3.jpg

Peel the plastic backing from the Napkin (Pad) - (The white thing)

http://www.uwleakdetector.com/images/mini_leak/Pad4.jpg

The back of the Napkin (Pad) is sticky - In our situation, we don't want sticky so fold the Napkin (Pad) in half, with the sticky side inwards.

http://www.uwleakdetector.com/images/mini_leak/Pad5.jpg

This is how it should now look - no more sticky edges

http://www.uwleakdetector.com/images/mini_leak/Pad6.jpg

Look for available space in the lower part of your housing to accommodate the Napkin (Pad), it may need folding again to fit. Try to fit 2 or 3 under the camera base-plate and corners of the camera.

http://www.uwleakdetector.com/images/mini_leak/Pad7.jpghttp://www.uwleakdetector.com/images/mini_leak/Pad8.jpg

Check to see that no parts of the Napkin (Pad) are going to interfere with 'O' Rings/Controls or Sealing Surfaces. Don't cause a leak by using them.

Now you are prepared to absorb and contain small to moderate amounts of sea-water from sloshing around inside your camera housing. It is reported that these Sanitary Napkins (Pads) are capable of absorbing huge quantities of water.

One acquaintance has told me that the particular pads his wife uses, could save a sinking submarine !!!!

rayaa3
10-15-2009, 09:52
very creative use of available resources.

emt
10-15-2009, 10:19
Nice visualization....I would not have thought they were thin enough if not for this demo. These look like they would fit in my cases small extra area just fine....(presently using adsorbents from medicine bottles)

TJDiver
10-15-2009, 10:39
Ok...some juvenile, immature male type has to say it...so, it might as well be me. :smiley9: Ewwwwwwww! :smiley36:

DevilDiver
10-15-2009, 10:50
Ok...some juvenile, immature male type has to say it...so, it might as well be me. :smiley9: Ewwwwwwww! :smiley36:

You are under the age of 18 and don't want to know what women put in their underpants once a month. :smiley36:

CompuDude
10-15-2009, 10:55
Nice visualization....I would not have thought they were thin enough if not for this demo. These look like they would fit in my cases small extra area just fine....(presently using adsorbents from medicine bottles)

Be careful about re-using those little dehumidifier packets, as they're often dead by the time you get them.

You may be able to recharge them in a microwave or toaster oven set very low, however. There are some websites that discuss this. Best is to just buy some of the packets that are designed specifically to be able to be recharged... they change colors are they're used up (and again when they're restored) so you can tell what's what.

emt
10-15-2009, 11:24
Thanks, will check into it Compudude. It may be easier just to steal some of my teenage girls accessories now that I see how thin the pads are.

clavicl3
10-15-2009, 13:46
Don't get caught! You'll have a whole lot of explaining to do, and it could cause some psychological scarring in your daughters.

Okc_diver
10-17-2009, 22:33
It just amazes me about all the stuff I learn here (even tho I don't want to)

sabbath999
10-19-2009, 14:42

Be careful about re-using those little dehumidifier packets, as they're often dead by the time you get them.

You may be able to recharge them in a microwave or toaster oven set very low, however. There are some websites that discuss this. Best is to just buy some of the packets that are designed specifically to be able to be recharged... they change colors are they're used up (and again when they're restored) so you can tell what's what.

Sealife makes "Moisture Munchers" in very small sizes for their cameras, but I use them in all of my cameras. ScubaToys sells them.

Here's the trick though. Buy one package, and also go to Walgreens and buy a small container of Damp Rid for a few dollars. DampRid is a desiccant that will recharge your Moisture Munchers (or any other capsule desiccants that can be recharged) in about a week. Simply take the Moisture Munchers and drop them in a small container of Damp Rid, wait a few days and they are just as good as new. This process can be repeated virtually endlessly (I have some MM's that have been recharged 50 times by now) and they work great.

Sealife also sells recharging stuff but it is a horrible deal... Damp Rid works much better and is cheaper (if you keep Damp Rid sealed, it will last indefinitely).

For less than $20 you can have a permanent moisture removal system that is completely rechargeable for as long as the little guys last (although, frankly, I think they are much more likely to get lost than worn out).

SEMO Scuba
10-19-2009, 16:00
DevilDiver,
If your housing springs a leak and those little pads become soaked, do you think they will swell up enough to make your housing explode or just crush your camera?:smiley36:

DevilDiver
10-19-2009, 16:17
DevilDiver,
If your housing springs a leak and those little pads become soaked, do you think they will swell up enough to make your housing explode or just crush your camera?:smiley36:

:smiley36:
Well I hear these things can hold a lot of moisture :smiley5: but I nothing will stop a major leak. (Wow, did I word that right?)

Most minor leaks occur when the housing reaches a certain depth because of failure of the O-ring (crack, nick, dirt, hair, ect) due to the pressure breaking the seal. Hopefully these adsorbent devices would retain any minor moisture and keep it from penetrating into the camera. Any mechanical failure of the housing (clasp, hinge or structural damage) all bets are off.

I found this idea on another website and have not tried this myself yet so I am not saying this is a total answer but I believe the concept is good.

DevilDiver
10-19-2009, 16:19
Here's the trick though. Buy one package, and also go to Walgreens and buy a small container of Damp Rid for a few dollars. DampRid is a desiccant that will recharge your Moisture Munchers (or any other capsule desiccants that can be recharged) in about a week. Simply take the Moisture Munchers and drop them in a small container of Damp Rid, wait a few days and they are just as good as new. This process can be repeated virtually endlessly (I have some MM's that have been recharged 50 times by now) and they work great.

Thanks for the tip!

Crimediver
10-19-2009, 17:01
DevilDiver,

Well I hear these things can hold a lot of moisture :smiley5: but I nothing will stop a major leak. (Wow, did I word that right?)

Even the ones with the wings?

DevilDiver
10-19-2009, 17:20
DevilDiver,

Even the ones with the wings?

\_ :smiley5: _/

TJDiver
10-20-2009, 07:43

Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, thanks for the tip, sabbath. I'm new to underwater photography, and wasn't aware that you could actually recharge the MM's. I think I'll be stopping by Walgreens this afternoon. :smiley20:

theduckguru
10-20-2009, 10:03
Back in the old days when men were men, you could locate a box of Kotex large pads in the back of many police cars. They make great absorbant compresses to control bleeding at accident scenes and are a great addition to your first aid kit.
Or in a pitch you could take a small one out of your camara!

cowgirldiver
10-20-2009, 13:11
Most often I get moisture in my camera when it is warm out and the humidity is high. Last July in Cozumel, I made the mistake of leaving my camera in the camera wash tank on the boat and the water was fairly warm. It looked fine when I took it out of the tank but as soon as I hit the cooler ocean water, my lens area would fog up. I'm definitely going to try one of the ideas mentioned here in the future. I felt so bad when the DM was working hard to find stuff for me to take pictures of so I just pretended I was taking them.

tk trekers
10-20-2009, 19:50
Back in the old days when men were men, you could locate a box of Kotex large pads in the back of many police cars. They make great absorbant compresses to control bleeding at accident scenes and are a great addition to your first aid kit.

They were in the trunk of my police car and would do wonders for serious bleeders. Comparing the cost to buying actual first aid type absorbent compresses, they are relatively inexpensive too.

I like this idea for the camera housing though, passed it on to the wife for her camera/housing.

Tekdivr
10-20-2009, 20:58

They were in the trunk of my police car and would do wonders for serious bleeders. Comparing the cost to buying actual first aid type absorbent compresses, they are relatively inexpensive too.

I like this idea for the camera housing though, passed it on to the wife for her camera/housing.

I'm kinda guessing that your wife may have a problem putting a feminine hygiene product in her brand new camera housing! I'm bringing the moisture munchers with me to Coz,and they change colors when they get wet.

Zeagle Eagle
10-20-2009, 21:06
I have been recharging the same silica gels for 5 or 10 years now. Every time I get one I throw it in with the rest. I recharge them (dry them out) in a 150 degree oven for about 3 hours. Anymore heat and you will burn the paper. Then I put then in a canister and vacum seal them until I need them. If the gel is not in the little bags then you can spread out on a cookie sheet and bake at 250 for an hour. Works great, last a long time.

I haven't tried microwaving them yet. Has any one done that.

Zeagle Eagle
10-20-2009, 21:12
[quote=DevilDiver;340022]Using Ladies Sanitary Pads in your housing

http://www.uwleakdetector.com/images/mini_leak/Pad1.jpg

Make sure you don't leave them in there too long as you stand the chance of getting TSS.

Toxic Scuba Syndrome :smilie39:

clavicl3
10-20-2009, 21:19
How much do these things expand when moist?

reeldive
10-20-2009, 22:19
I use flower de-hydrator I got from a craft store to recharge my MMs. It can be recharged it's self in the oven

reeldive
10-20-2009, 22:22
looks like the sanitary pad thing would work great for small leaks. Probable would have saved my camera on my last trip. Noticed it leaking just after rolling in but didn't get it up and dried quite fast enough

gee
10-21-2009, 22:28
Thanks for the demo and the criteria up front DevilDiver. I've been using a couple of tampons, but I like the small size you're using. I'm wondering, could you use the tape to attach the pad to the side of the case rather than fold it up?

Zeagle Eagle
10-21-2009, 23:58
I use flower de-hydrator I got from a craft store to recharge my MMs. It can be recharged it's self in the oven
I have a dehydrator for making beef jerky and drying fruit. I wonder if that will work. Anyone have any idea how long to run it?

snagel
10-22-2009, 05:24
Some of you guys know entirely too much about these things. I can tell you have been married a long time.

Back when I was in college I worked at a convience store. Once a month, one of the local "burly type guys" would come in and stand around the store. At first, I wasn't sure what he was doing....then I figured it out. He was waiting for the store the clear out. When it did, he would run to the back of the store, grab a box of tampons, and bring it to the counter. He would ask can you put this in a bag for me. He would pay me and quickly leave. Every month we went through this - it got kinda funny. One day he came in with all his hunting buddies and I couldn't resist. As he and his buddies were checking out I yelled, "Hey Earl, you might want to grab a box of tampons - I forgot to get them ordered and we are running low". He looked at me, turned red, and his buddies busted out laughing. Then one of his buddies ran back got a box and brought them to the counter and said, "I'm glad you reminded me, I was suppose to pick up a box yesterday".

I never understood this ritual until I got married. Then I noticed that my wife would send me to the store to pick up things and on the list was tampons. After a few months, I noticed that I was always being sent to the store to get these. (If you have ever tried to buy these things believe me there are so many options - thin, ultras, maxis, with wings, without wings, etc.) I said something to my wife one day about why I was always buying them and she kinda shrugged it off, but I could tell she didn't want to buy them. Today, any time we are shopping together and walk down the aisle I yell to my wife, "Do we need any pads". She really tries to keep away from this area when I'm around and I no longer have to make the trip to buy them.

Snagel

CompuDude
10-22-2009, 12:22
Some of you guys know entirely too much about these things. I can tell you have been married a long time.

Back when I was in college I worked at a convience store. Once a month, one of the local "burly type guys" would come in and stand around the store. At first, I wasn't sure what he was doing....then I figured it out. He was waiting for the store the clear out. When it did, he would run to the back of the store, grab a box of tampons, and bring it to the counter. He would ask can you put this in a bag for me. He would pay me and quickly leave. Every month we went through this - it got kinda funny. One day he came in with all his hunting buddies and I couldn't resist. As he and his buddies were checking out I yelled, "Hey Earl, you might want to grab a box of tampons - I forgot to get them ordered and we are running low". He looked at me, turned red, and his buddies busted out laughing. Then one of his buddies ran back got a box and brought them to the counter and said, "I'm glad you reminded me, I was suppose to pick up a box yesterday".

I never understood this ritual until I got married. Then I noticed that my wife would send me to the store to pick up things and on the list was tampons. After a few months, I noticed that I was always being sent to the store to get these. (If you have ever tried to buy these things believe me there are so many options - thin, ultras, maxis, with wings, without wings, etc.) I said something to my wife one day about why I was always buying them and she kinda shrugged it off, but I could tell she didn't want to buy them. Today, any time we are shopping together and walk down the aisle I yell to my wife, "Do we need any pads". She really tries to keep away from this area when I'm around and I no longer have to make the trip to buy them.

Snagel

:smilie39:

:smiley32:

Not sure if that's good for the marriage long term, but definitely a clever avoidance method! LOL

With the Nuva Ring, my wife's "Aunt Flo" only visits a couple of times per year, so feminine products are such a rare purchase it's no big deal. One box lasts years!

clavicl3
10-22-2009, 14:08
And with this thread going, even single men will be in there buying feminine products. LOL. Buy will those store owners/cashiers be confused.

Crimediver
10-24-2009, 06:30
A good friend of mine that I work with went to a drug store with his easily embarrased wife a few years ago to go shopping. While waiting in line at the cash register with a bunch of other folks in line he picked up a box of condoms and placed them on the counter. His wife put them back and told him "We don't need them". He picked the box up and put it back on the counter and said in a louder voice "Yes we do."

The other folks in line were now paying great attention to the drama unfolding before them.

She put the condoms back and said "We have some at home."

He picked the box up and put it back on the counter and said very loudly "The ones at home are all dry rotted."

His wife's face got very red as everyody in line laughed.

snagel
10-24-2009, 07:10
A good friend of mine that I work with went to a drug store with his easily embarrased wife a few years ago to go shopping. While waiting in line at the cash register with a bunch of other folks in line he picked up a box of condoms and placed them on the counter. His wife put them back and told him "We don't need them". He picked the box up and put it back on the counter and said in a louder voice "Yes we do."

The other folks in line were now paying great attention to the drama unfolding before them.

He picked the box up and put it back on the counter and said very loudly "The ones at home are all dry rotted."

Don't know it that is actually true or not, but very funny :smilie39:

Okc_diver
10-24-2009, 20:08

+1
now thats funny:smilie39::smilie39: