PDA

View Full Version : Costs just tripled!

rsmith5894
10-16-2009, 20:25
My 2 sons, 15 and 11 did a discover scuba class 3 weeks ago, my daughter 9 has her's tomorrow morning. So far the damage is 1 open water class (15 year old) and 2 Padi Seal classes.

I think the future looks expensive! :smiley5:

But... the boys did a great job with the skills and I have no doubt my daughter will as well.

Diver Kat
10-16-2009, 22:23
Too bad they don't offer dive scholarships!! Looks like you're in some serious trouble with 3 of them interested!:smiley36:

rsmith5894
10-16-2009, 23:14
Or...I'll always have a place to send my used gear when I upgrade!?!? :smiley20:

jet126
10-17-2009, 06:27
I'm thinking that old Mastercard ad:

"3 sets of dive gear ... Family vacation to Cozumel ... Able to share a life-long passion with your kids: priceless."

rayaa3
10-17-2009, 07:32
that's awesome, I'm sorry to hear that you are going bankrupt soon, but glad to hear your going to have such a wonderful time getting there :)

mrmccoy
10-17-2009, 13:44
I wish I would have been able to get certified with my dad. We always talked about it but just never got around to doing it.
I'm sure you will be hunting for good deals and everthing will come together! Good Luck!

cgvmer
10-17-2009, 20:42
Congratulations my sons 20(aow) and 16(rescue) have been certified for 4 years my daughter 11 was certified summer of 08. As of this summer we all have all our own gear. I was able to pick up the bcd's (2 DR Transpacs and a BP/W) for the kids used on ebay, at very reasonable costs (less than 100 a piece). This summer I purchased 4 regulator sets from ST for a really good price. The kids have really stepped up to the task. It is important to take it slow let them go at their own pace so they enjoy it . Just remind them they can cancel ANY dive for ANY reason without reprimand....I have made sure they know that and it has meant me diving alone with them on the boat but it has to be their choice.

Enjoy it

GMDGeek
10-18-2009, 01:48
Well look at it this way - find a good credit card that offers Air Miles - that way more gear you buy the more travel you get for the dive locations. Your kids gear may finance a trip or two ...

dawnvip
10-18-2009, 18:31
That's great! We got our kids certified this past summer and did a short trip to Jamaica to hone their skills! They loved it.
One nice thing here in BC is the Open water course counts as credit towards their high school graduation! I wish they had that when I was in high school.

clavicl3
10-18-2009, 23:45
That's cool. you'll always have dive buddies. But just wait until they each need specific underwater cameras for their unique preferences.

mrm777
10-21-2009, 21:32
Might as well just pull up stakes now and move to somewhere there's water. Wish I'd done that to start with.........would have saved a lot of travel bucks.

whichwayis_up
12-30-2009, 10:35
I can't wait to get my boys certified!

Chilkie
12-30-2009, 15:47
Congratulations my sons 20(aow) and 16(rescue) have been certified for 4 years my daughter 11 was certified summer of 08. As of this summer we all have all our own gear. I was able to pick up the bcd's (2 DR Transpacs and a BP/W) for the kids used on ebay, at very reasonable costs (less than 100 a piece). This summer I purchased 4 regulator sets from ST for a really good price. The kids have really stepped up to the task. It is important to take it slow let them go at their own pace so they enjoy it . Just remind them they can cancel ANY dive for ANY reason without reprimand....I have made sure they know that and it has meant me diving alone with them on the boat but it has to be their choice.

Enjoy it

With that gear you'll have a family of tec divers in no time!!!

dkh6070
01-04-2010, 14:09
My wife got certified then we gave the class and a trip as a birthday present for my 13 year old. Now it's to expensive to take trips......A $1K dive trip for me is now $3k. I need a better job!

Panmanmatt
01-04-2010, 14:15
I know this feeling all too well. My oldest son and I got certified 2 years ago, this past fall my youngest son and girlfriend joined the ranks so now have 4 divers to pay for. But it is worth every penny of it.

brojack17
01-04-2010, 14:24
My wife and two oldest want to dive. The two younger will want to when they are older (currently 6 & 7). I feel your pain.

Herbdb
01-04-2010, 18:43
It will be worth every penny. I really enjoy being able to share a love of diving with my two sons and I always have a dive buddy. I am 42 years older than my youngest, but diving is a healthy, fun activity we can both enjoy.

But, it would be nice to live in a warm water area. Diving is pretty scarce up here during the winter.

On the plus side, I had a week with both sons in the Keys in December and have a week scheduled with them in Cozumel in April. Maybe Dutch Springs will be warmed up by that time. I just wish we had started sooner.

Filippo
01-05-2010, 04:20
It's a better investment than college fund :)

dkh6070
01-05-2010, 07:48
It's a better investment than college fund :)

Diving doesn't make college any less important.:smiley_scuba: So now it is diving and college.:smiley_smartass:

Trunk_Monkey
02-22-2010, 22:04
Taking my youngest son on his HS graduation trip (to Kona) was what finally triggered me to sign us both up for our OW. I paid for the class and our trip. He has bought all of his own gear (just personal stuff so far).

Doing the class with him and us quizzing each other over hand signals, etc. was an excellent dad/son together time. Doing our first dives together was something special that I think the both of us will remember fondly for the rest of our lives.:smiley31:

Diving is pretty high on the "cool" list for high school kids (up there with paintball and shooting). There are other kids at their school who would love for their dads to do something like that with them.

Vercingetorix
02-23-2010, 07:17
Built-in dive buddies. I wish I was a fortunate as you. Congrats to the kids. They have a lifetime to enjoy the sport.

mrbeast1414
03-17-2010, 16:48
My 2 sons, 15 and 11 did a discover scuba class 3 weeks ago, my daughter 9 has her's tomorrow morning. So far the damage is 1 open water class (15 year old) and 2 Padi Seal classes.

I think the future looks expensive! :smiley5:

But... the boys did a great job with the skills and I have no doubt my daughter will as well.

I am 15 and I payed for myself. I worked for 3 months straight and payed for my class and my own gear