PDA

View Full Version : Danger with wreck diving

Lion Fludd
08-30-2007, 06:25
I'm thinking of taking wreck diving as one of my aow courses, and was just wondering has anyone had any dangerous experiecnes that they can speak of

Aussie
08-30-2007, 06:37
Tetanus.............only kidding

Aussie

fire diver
08-30-2007, 08:17
I'm thinking of taking wreck diving as one of my aow courses, and was just wondering has anyone had any dangerous experiecnes that they can speak of

Just keep in mind that the one adventure wreck dive you do in AOW will in no way prepare you for actual wreck diving. Diving around the outside of wrecks, maybe, but that's it. PLEASE do not try to penetrate a wreck without serious training first.

FD

tc_rain
08-30-2007, 08:26
Fire diver is correct. When I took it in AOW, all we did was look over the outside of the wreck and point out the hazards.

Lion Fludd
08-30-2007, 09:03
Thanks alot hearing things like that really help out alot

greyzen
08-30-2007, 09:05
welcome to the boards :)

SeaLily
09-25-2007, 12:03
If you are looking at getting into wreck diving, I would highly recommend taking the Intro to Cavern Diving course as it provides a wealth of safety skills for handling overhead environments.

quasimoto
09-25-2007, 14:21
If you are looking at getting into wreck diving, I would highly recommend taking the Intro to Cavern Diving course as it provides a wealth of safety skills for handling overhead environments.
...but not until well after AOW. Don't know the OP but most that are taking AOW aren't ready for intro cavern.

papawhisky
10-09-2007, 20:46
I really like diving wrecks. But I did have a scary experience on the Spiegel Grove. After taking the Wreck Diving Course, I did my third dive on the SG. Using a reel, 2 buddies and I proceeded down a long passage in single file. I was in the lead. I reached a door that was closed. There was not enough room in the passage to turn around, so we had to back out. I could not believe how SLOW those guys were moving! We silted out after a couple of minutes, but continued to follow the line. I'm writing this, so you know I got out, but it scared the $hit out of me. Moral: don't just go exploring down small passages. Know the wreck, or prep for exploration. Don't be surprised.
I still dive every wreck I see.

BobArnold8265
10-11-2007, 12:28
Most AOW wreck diving courses will instruct you not to penatrate a wreck. This is very good advice which could save your life. I have to be honest and say I don't understand people who risk their lives for a realitively worthless artifact.

If you plan to penatrate wrecks, then you will need more advanced training than your typical AOW wreck diving course !!

mcc2318
11-20-2007, 01:21
I just finished my AOW and the one wreck dive isn't enough, take the wreck course

ronf13
01-14-2008, 22:21
I absolutely agree with everything posted. I have my AOW and wreck diving was one of the courses. I actually penetrated a wreck during the training and was amazed out how much trouble you can get into in a very short period of time.

Nothing major happened, but on initial penetration, I sliced my hand open trying to pull myself into the ship. I also got into a very narrow corridor that was fairly difficult to get out of. Nothing major, but you sure better have your buoyancy down pat.

The ship laid in about 70-100 feet of water and with the depth and my anxiety, I went through a significant amount of air fairly quickly. That being said, I am going to do another wreck dive in about 9 days and I can't wait.

Becareful, pay attention and enjoy yourself.

texdiveguy
01-15-2008, 00:40
An AOW level diver with a Wreck badge has really no business doing true wreck penetration dives. I know many of the artificial reefs have prepped fairly safe swim through and those are going to be about the max. limit for divers of the skill level. Be happy to survey the exterior of true wrecks and many of the artificial reefs. If you are serious about wreck penetration diving...search out the proper training prior to doing this type of dangerous diving.

Buoyant1
01-21-2008, 17:31
I did the PADI Wreck Specialty and apparently the "wreck" portion of AOW is the first dive of the whole course which is basically just scanning the wreck, and pointing out hazards and highlights. (there was a guy taking his AOW when I took my Wreck class, and he did the first dive as a wreck adventure dive, and the second was a boat dive...he HATED it because it was in low to no viz and current!...personally I LOVED the dive! spend enough time in dark quarries and these become fun dives!!)

Take the WHOLE course, you'll get a taste of basic penetration techniques, and do a SIMPLE penetration (staying within the light zone, and using a line) I got a lot out of it, and look forward to getting more advanced knowledge of that specialty!