PDA

View Full Version : Question from my Wife

creggur
08-30-2007, 06:57
My wife isn't much of a forum person, but she did ask me to ask you ladies a couple of questions..

She's got an Oceanic wetsuit that fits pretty well. We got it from an SB member but there are 2 issues with it.

#1) It's titanium lined and although it fits well it is a beast to don. Any little bit of persperation when she starts to put it on as soon as the metal lining hits her skin it won't move. Once she's in it everything is fine so she's looking for tricks to get the thing on.

#2) If we can't figure a way to get her in the thing comfortably we'll be looking at a new wetsuit for her. The problem is sizing. She's rather petite 5'1" and about 107lbs so any recommendations on wetsuits would be appreciated. The biggest problem with wetsuits are her height. We've found a number of suits that fit her except for her height. It seems that most sizes to fit her figure are for someone taller than her, usually by 3 or more inches. She's wearing a full 3mm with a 3mm hooded vest for spring diving 72 degree water, and will probably just go with the full 3 and a beanie for more tropical dives...

Any recommendations are appreciated..

Queen
08-30-2007, 07:03
I've never had a titanium lined suit so I can't speak to that, but my SO is about the same size as your wife and we found that kids suits fit her like a glove.

mwhities
08-30-2007, 07:16
Baby powder?

Michael

Zenagirl
08-30-2007, 07:34
Baby powder's great until the suit is wet. ;) Has she tried putting a light coating of hair conditioner on her body to "slicken up"?

Personally, I dive in Henderson Hyperstretch suits for this reason. I don't want to get exhausted or aerobic putting on my wetsuit, so I go for comfort and fit first.

YellowfinKunkfish
08-30-2007, 07:56
I don't have a titanium lined wetsuit, but I have discovered that if I'm wearing a rash guard, the top of my 4/3 just slips right on. That might help, with the top at least.

Rhonda

Vercingetorix
08-30-2007, 08:08
Perhaps a custom suit?

Disneymom
08-30-2007, 08:16
what about the solution that you can buy that supposedly helps get the wet suit on better?

Also - I concur with the Junior's suit suggestion - it may be a better fit, given that she is so petite.

MelC
08-30-2007, 08:49
I have a youth size Henderson Hyperstretch and it's great. Easy to get on and not too long (I'm a bit taller than your wife but the wetsuit fits a bit more like floods on me coming to low calf so it should fit her).

Mel

ian
08-30-2007, 09:42
Mix hair cream rinse with water in a 50/50 mix and put it in a spray bottle. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than the commercial "suit juice".

BTW - use the cheap stuff from the grocery store hair products rack. Don't use the 'spensive stuff from the hair salon!

Ian

scubabirdie
08-30-2007, 09:47
I always don a skin when wearing a wetsuit, makes going on a piece of cake.

scubasavvy
08-30-2007, 10:54
Rash guard or lycra suit

caroln
08-30-2007, 11:01
A dive skin would solve her problem perfectly I bet. I uesd one when I was renting suits that didn't fit so great, and it made a huge difference in how easy they were to get on. If she's not into that idea, I've seen a few people putting on pantyhose under their wetsuits which does the same thing. If she hates the idea of another layer, has she tried the plastic bag trick to help get the suit on? My DH uses that all the time and it works very well.

No Misses
08-30-2007, 12:50
Ok, you caught me reading the Womens Forum :-) This is a common issue with suits that have the slick side on the inside. They are warmer due to the fact that water does not flow through them. The down side is donning. As was stated several times already. A mixture of hair conditioner and water make the suit slip right on. This is much cheaper than the "suit juice' that you can buy at most LDS.

Liv7301
08-30-2007, 17:56
I had heard a similar recipe for home made suit juice. The difference was this was for baby shampoo and water instead of condition. Either way it sounds like a great idea...helps get the suit on and keeps everything smelling fresh!

Charlotte Smith
08-30-2007, 18:08
Take your Walmart plastic sacks and put them on your feet and hands when putting on the suit and just slip them out the arm or leg hole....makes life a whole lot easier!

Divegirl
08-30-2007, 21:57
Definately use the skin, it makes life so much easier, also I am about the same size and purchased a kids size and it does seem a bit short, not comfortable diving because i have a wedge, and it is not easy to resolve the problem under water in a wet suit. Check out your dive shops when on vacation, or check out Scubatoys, my favorite one was purchase at scuba toys and they are awesome to work with if indeed your suit doesn't work out for you.

foo
08-30-2007, 23:29
I've used the baby shampoo/water in a spray bottle, works great. And Liv is right, makes your suit smell nicer than lake water.

creggur
08-31-2007, 07:19
Thanks for all of the tips. My wife read the thread last night, and we are going to try the hair conditioner/water solution this weekend.. If that doesn't work she's going to try the rash guard. If neither of those work we'll be shopping for a new wetsuit. Thanks again, you gals are awesome!!

Jaymeany
08-31-2007, 07:26
Triathletes will often use bodyglide to help them get in and out of their suits quickly.

http://www.bodyglide.com/

creggur
08-31-2007, 07:39
Triathletes will often use bodyglide to help them get in and out of their suits quickly.

http://www.bodyglide.com/

I use this for long cycling trips (bicycling) to prevent chafing, but I don't think you'd want to grease up with that stuff every time you dive. It tends to be hard to wash off. Works really well, but hard to wash off..

scubajane
10-06-2007, 16:32
some guys wear panty hose under their suits to get them on easier. be cautious about powders and hair stuff that all ends up in the water untreated. mabye try a 2 piece wet suit. or skinsuit and vest. just keep trying. it's all good

divnlifr
10-06-2007, 19:05
I don't have that one, but I have the Gold Core which poses the same problem. I've never tried babypowder and really don't want to...sounds pretty discusting. She's right, once you perspire, it's a B...c to get on. Sometimes I jump in the water with it half on and flow water through it while I'm pulling it on and that make it a little easier. I also have another wetsuit now and don't tend to use the Gold Core as much because of the donning issue. If she's interested, I love my new Henderson Hyperstretch...no Metal lining to stick while donning...very comfortable and easy, easy to get on!

jimmysdevoted
10-06-2007, 19:11
I wear a Bare and lucked out first time out.
i think if you go to the company itself, get their number of fline and contavt customer service and ask them what to do they will tell you how to proceed. when companies design suits they often go through a whole lot of experimentation of what to do in case..........

cyclone
10-11-2007, 06:55
Roll in the sand or mud then try to fit it again. J/K actually get a rush guard suit or skin suit that was mentioned earlier. I think it's kind of like silk texture. She will slide with it much better.

Cissycox
10-15-2007, 20:37
I have used a vegetable based silicone spay and thet works like a charm!

A skin underneath may also do the trick too.

TX SCUBA FAMILY
10-16-2007, 18:50
If none of the other solutions mentioned work for your wife and you end up shopping for a wetsuit. I would highly recommend a Henderson Titanium Hyperstretch wetsuits. They are wonderful to put on and take off. Normally it really sucks to have to put back on your wetsuit after a surface interval but this one isn't bad at all. Good luck.
Kim

Anne Eastwell
10-16-2007, 19:02
I've been told using the silicon spray from ST - sprayed into the tight bits of the suit, will do the trick. I have the same problem with my old wetsuit.... I think it's shrunk a little over the years! My new suit goes on fairly easily but might benefit from a little spay around the calves and wrists.

WAHMof2
10-19-2007, 20:08
I have to agree with ScubaJane and a couple others on being very careful using hair products or other chemical based products, this can be very harmful to marine life and the water table in general - sorry, I'm an "Earth freek". Even baby shampoo contains harmful ingredients, like Formaldehyde (Quanternium- 15). I would suggest a vegetable based product if you must use a lube. :smiley20:

booger
10-23-2007, 18:53
I just dilute a very small amount of wetsuit cleaner with water in a spray bottle and lube up the inside of the suit.