PDA

View Full Version : Bonded vs custom ground prescription lenses?

paperdesk
10-18-2009, 12:27
I'm wondering if anyone has compared the difference between glue-in prescription lens inserts, vs. custom ground lenses (ie. seavision). I'm trying to decide which route to go. Does one give clearer vision, fewer problems, or does one stand out in general as being better? As an aside, I understand Seavision uses plastic not glass lenses, maybe they would scratch easier?

Ted

ScubaToys Larry
10-18-2009, 12:54
If you don't have an astigmatism, (or much of one) you might be fine with just drop in lenses... Otherwise, I'd say do the custom ground, and they seem to give better field of vision than the bonded.

Now if you have a very difficult severe prescription, then bonded may be the only way to go.

either way, we can get them for you if you need us to.

Here's a little video on installing the lenses. Scuba Diving Videos Prescription Scuba Masks and Scuba Mask Lenses Scuba Videos (http://www.scubadivingtube.com/play.php?vid=489)

Aquatrax
10-18-2009, 14:16
can you get these lenses for a Tusa M24?

chicken
10-18-2009, 14:49
I have a strong astigmatism and have tried both styles of prescription lenses. BUY THE GROUND LENSES! ST was able to order a SeaVision custom ground mask cheaper than I could buy direct. I wish I would of went there first instead of wasting the money on the drop in style.

in_cavediver
10-18-2009, 17:01
I have the ground lenses and I'll add only one tidbit - buy a spare mask of the same type as well. I had a bit of plastic break on mine and 30 minutes later, I had a new prescription mask, ready to go. I'd hate to pay the lense cost again if I could help it.

paperdesk
10-18-2009, 18:15
Thanks for the great replies, yes I do have a strong astigmatism. I'm glad to hear ST does custom ground lenses. That sounds like the way to go! I just have to figure out where I can find a seavision mask to try on . . .

rednose83
10-18-2009, 23:33
I have slight astigmatism and am fine with the drop in lenses.

WaScubaDude
10-19-2009, 00:49
If you don't have an astigmatism, (or much of one) you might be fine with just drop in lenses... Otherwise, I'd say do the custom ground, and they seem to give better field of vision than the bonded.

Now if you have a very difficult severe prescription, then bonded may be the only way to go.

either way, we can get them for you if you need us to.

Here's a little video on installing the lenses. Scuba Diving Videos Prescription Scuba Masks and Scuba Mask Lenses Scuba Videos (http://www.scubadivingtube.com/play.php?vid=489)

Hey Larry,
Can you tell me what brand/model of masks are available from ST with drop in lenses? I have narrow face, with laugh lines and most masks dont fit well. Any suggestions? I own some nice mask$$ but they dont fit so I am now using a cheap kids mask. I would love to find a mask that fits me well and has a black skirt.

Thanks!

ScubaToys Larry
10-19-2009, 11:14

Yes, they have lenses for those... Run 27.50 a lens, just give a shout and we'll get you set up.

CompuDude
10-19-2009, 15:38
What the others said. If you have a simple prescription and no astigmatism, drop in lenses (actually, pre-made ground lenses available in basic prescription increments) are a great way to save money. If you have astigmatism, however, they don't make pre-fab lenses, and you'll probably want custom lenses. It somewhat depends on your exact prescription, though. I have a slight astigmatism. I am currently using drop-in lenses, for my rough prescription, no astig correction. Is it as good as the custom lenses I used to use? No. Is it more than good enough for the meantime? Absolutely. At some point, when I'm not feeling so lazy and poor, I'll go ahead and get another custom prescription setup, but meanwhile, I'm happy enough with my current setup. With local visibility I rarely need to see perfectly at over 30-40', and frankly, even with 30-40' vis you're not going to see everything at that distance with crystal clarity anyway.

Definitely stick with glass lenses over plastic.

Aquatrax
10-19-2009, 19:02

Yes, they have lenses for those... Run 27.50 a lens, just give a shout and we'll get you set up.

Thanks Larry, i'll swing by this week and see if i can make it out of the store with just buying the lenses.